Poll: How do you feel about tech companies using public minority language content to train AI?
থ্রেড পোস্টার: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
সাইট স্টাফ
Oct 7

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you feel about tech companies using public minority language content to train AI?".

View the poll results »



 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
পর্তুগাল
Local time: 20:36
2007 থেকে সদস্য
‍ইংরেজি থেকে পর্তুগিজ
+ ...
N/A Oct 7

I wonder if translation these days is restricted to AI. Isn’t there anything else to talk about? Or is there a hidden reason behind this persistent repetition? To do away with the Quick Polls? Please don’t…

Maria Laura Curzi
Thayenga
Rabie El Magdouli
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Peter Simon
Michael Newton
Philip Lees
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
জার্মানি
Local time: 21:36
2009 থেকে সদস্য
‍ইংরেজি থেকে জার্মান
+ ...
AI Oct 7

AI from here to eternity.
If AI becomes the sole subject of the polls, then I might as well copy my comments and just paste them into the next poll. How boring.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Rabie El Magdouli
Angie Garbarino
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
writeaway
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Peter Simon
 
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
ইন্দোনেশিয়া
Local time: 02:36
‍ইংরেজি থেকে ‍ইন্দোনেশিয়ান
+ ...
Native speakers and translators should be consulted Oct 7

I chose the second option.

Indonesia has hundreds of regional languages, many with very little written material online.

I believe native speakers and translators, as the people who know these languages best, should be consulted on how their languages are used and fairly recognized for their contribution.

Without their involvement, there is a real risk that limited or inaccurate content will be treated as authentic usage.


Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Ricardo Aries
Ricardo Aries  Identity Verified
ইন্দোনেশিয়া
Local time: 02:36
2020 থেকে সদস্য
‍ইংরেজি থেকে ‍ইন্দোনেশিয়ান
+ ...
An Indonesian view: regional languages need consent 01:40

From an Indonesian perspective this hits close to home. Bahasa Indonesia itself is well resourced, but Javanese, Sundanese, Buginese and hundreds of other regional languages are not, and much of their online content comes from small community sites, local news and religious texts. Using it to train AI without consent or credit takes from communities that already have the least. Done with them, though, the same tools could help keep these languages alive. Consent, attribution and native-speaker r... See more
From an Indonesian perspective this hits close to home. Bahasa Indonesia itself is well resourced, but Javanese, Sundanese, Buginese and hundreds of other regional languages are not, and much of their online content comes from small community sites, local news and religious texts. Using it to train AI without consent or credit takes from communities that already have the least. Done with them, though, the same tools could help keep these languages alive. Consent, attribution and native-speaker review should be the minimum. ▲ Collapse


Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Daryo
Daryo
Local time: 20:36
সার্বিয়ান থেকে ‍ইংরেজি
+ ...
If it's any consolation to you 01:58

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

I chose the second option.

Indonesia has hundreds of regional languages, many with very little written material online.

I believe native speakers and translators, as the people who know these languages best, should be consulted on how their languages are used and fairly recognized for their contribution.

Without their involvement, there is a real risk that limited or inaccurate content will be treated as authentic usage.


In principle, one can only agree with you.

But given that the tech bros have form when it comes to not paying any blind of notice to what others have to say ...

If it's any consolation to you even for 'major languages' the nauseously bland and oververbose AI output is hardly 'autentic usage' either.


Li-Hsiang Hsu
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
ইন্দোনেশিয়া
Local time: 02:36
‍ইংরেজি থেকে ‍ইন্দোনেশিয়ান
+ ...
Perhaps even higher stakes for smaller languages 04:18

Daryo wrote:

In principle, one can only agree with you.

But given that the tech bros have form when it comes to not paying any blind of notice to what others have to say ...

If it's any consolation to you even for 'major languages' the nauseously bland and oververbose AI output is hardly 'autentic usage' either.


Thank you, Dario.

I share your skepticism about how much the tech companies will listen.

Still, I think the problem may be even more serious for smaller languages.

For major languages, readers can at least compare AI output with a large body of human writing, but for many Indonesian regional languages, AI-generated text could end up being most of what exists online, and eventually be treated as authentic usage.

That is why I think speakers and translators need to be involved, even if it is an uphill battle.


Li-Hsiang Hsu
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
 
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
গ্রীস
Local time: 22:36
গ্রীক থেকে ‍ইংরেজি
Data 04:45

My initial reaction to this question was: Wow! A question about AI!! It's a long time since we had one of those!!!

But then, after reading the contributions from our Indonesian colleagues, I realised this is in fact a rather interesting issue.

Before I read this thread I had no feelings at all "about tech companies using public minority language content to train AI" (once I deciphered the syntax of all that). In order to arrive at some feeling about it, I would need to
... See more
My initial reaction to this question was: Wow! A question about AI!! It's a long time since we had one of those!!!

But then, after reading the contributions from our Indonesian colleagues, I realised this is in fact a rather interesting issue.

Before I read this thread I had no feelings at all "about tech companies using public minority language content to train AI" (once I deciphered the syntax of all that). In order to arrive at some feeling about it, I would need to know the answers to two questions: Is anybody actually doing this? If so, who, and how?

Can the people who posed this question provide any enlightenment? (Fingers crossed, but without much hope.)
▲ Collapse


Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
জার্মানি
Local time: 21:36
2009 থেকে সদস্য
‍ইংরেজি থেকে জার্মান
+ ...
The answer is simple 05:13

Philip Lees wrote:

...I would need to know the answers to two questions: Is anybody actually doing this? If so, who, and how?

It's probably AI generated, and by deceiving its creator.

Philip Lees wrote:
Can the people who posed this question provide any enlightenment? (Fingers crossed, but without much hope.)

I didn't know that AI enlightens anyone.


Maria Laura Curzi
 
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
গ্রীস
Local time: 22:36
গ্রীক থেকে ‍ইংরেজি
Questions 05:34

Philip Lees wrote:

I would need to know the answers to two questions: Is anybody actually doing this? If so, who, and how?


Three questions. I need to know the answers to three questions: Is anybody actually doing this? If so, who, how, and why?

FOUR questions. There are four questions ...

(With apologies to the Spanish Inquisition.)


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
জার্মানি
Local time: 21:36
2009 থেকে সদস্য
‍ইংরেজি থেকে জার্মান
+ ...
@ Philip 10:14

Why? Probably because it (they) can. There is no other reason that would make sense.

And thank you for the smile at Monty Pythons'.

[Edited at 2026-10-08 12:16 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

এই ফোরামের মডারেটরগণ
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel about tech companies using public minority language content to train AI?






PerfectIt
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance

PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »