Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to convert sdlxliff files into mqxliff files?
Thread poster: Noha Mostafa
Noha Mostafa
Noha Mostafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:29
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 9, 2023

Hello,

My client sent me an rtf file for translation and requested that he needs it in rtf & mqxliff format.

I translated the file on Trados 2019.

Would you please advise how to convert that into mqxliff format to send it to my client.

Your kind help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Noha Mostafa

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Have a look at memoQ's online help Mar 9, 2023

Here are the articles you need:
https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/sdlxliff-files.html
https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/bilingual-export-wizard.html

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't do it Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:
My client sent me an RTF file for translation and requested that he needs it in RTF and MQXLIFF format. I translated the file on Trados 2019. Would you please advise how to convert that into the MQXLIFF format to send it to my client?

There is no way to convert an SDLXLIFF file to an MQXLIFF file in the way that your client requires.

While it is possible to convert an SDLXLIFF file into an MQXLIFF file so that it can be converted back to SDLXLIFF, it is not possible to convert an SDLXLIFF file into an MQXLIFF file so that it can be converted "back" into RTF.

Wait... you posted here in the MemoQ subforum, but I have to ask: do you even have MemoQ?

Added: I suggest you ask your client if they would be satisfied with an SDLXLIFF file or with a generic XLIFF file instead. If they'd be happy with a generic XLIFF file, and if you have MemoQ, you can create a new project, add the SDXLIFF file, and then export an MQXLIFF file or an XLIFF file immediately. If you don't have MemoQ, then you can only send them an SDLXLIFF file.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 13:17 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Concept of ...xliff files Mar 9, 2023

A xliff file is an intermediary file format that a CAT tool creates for its internal purposes (sdlxliff in Trados, mxliff in Memsource, mqxliff in memoq, etc.) Even though they all are xliff files, every CAT tool uses its own unique mechanisms to build their versions. Hence you can't convert one into another. You have to import your source file (rtf) into memoQ to get an mqxliff file.

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to convert sdlxliff files into mqxliff files? Mar 9, 2023

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your significant help.

I have MemoQ 9.14 and can work on MemoQ directly, but I am more familiar with Trados.

From your feedback, I understand that the file must be done in MemoQ for the mqxliff file and Trados for the rtf. Right??

I also believe that sending a generic xliff file is a good idea. I'll ask my client if this would be possible.

Thanks a lot Stepan, Samuel, and many thanks Epameinondas
... See more
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your significant help.

I have MemoQ 9.14 and can work on MemoQ directly, but I am more familiar with Trados.

From your feedback, I understand that the file must be done in MemoQ for the mqxliff file and Trados for the rtf. Right??

I also believe that sending a generic xliff file is a good idea. I'll ask my client if this would be possible.

Thanks a lot Stepan, Samuel, and many thanks Epameinondas for the reference. Your support is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Noha Mostafa
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:
From your feedback, I understand that the file must be done in MemoQ for the mqxliff file and Trados for the rtf. Right?
Since you have memoQ, you can open the sdlxliff file (the translated one) in memoQ and confirm all segments to store them in the memoQ TM. Then you import your source file (rtf or what format it is?) with the same TM where you stored the sdlxliff segments and run the pre-translate operation to create a generic memoQ xliff file.
What regards "Trados for the rtf", I am not sure I understand what you mean. Do you have your source file in rtf format? Or is it your client who wants a 2-column rtf file generated by memoQ?
If your input file is rtf and they want an output file in rtf format too, then you don't need Trados for that. Just export your translation as rtf after the above-mentioned pre-translation.
If the rtf file in question is the rtf that you can create with memoQ (a 2-column bilingual file), then you don't need Trados again. From this point when you have translated the file in Trados, you only need Trados to create a translated sdlxliff file (File-Advanced Save-Save Copy As).

To summarize the foregoing:
1. With your file opened in Trados editor, go to File, Advanced Save, Save Copy As to get a translated sdlxliff file.
2. Import the translated sdlxliff file into memoQ, open it and confirm all segments to store them in TM.
3. Import the source file (not sdlxliff this time) into memoQ with the same TM, open the file and run 'Pre-Translate'.
4. Check all segments and export the translation.
5. Follow the instructions given above by Epameinondas Soufleros.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 18:28 GMT]

Noha Mostafa

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Stepan Konev wrote:

Noha Mostafa wrote:
From your feedback, I understand that the file must be done in MemoQ for the mqxliff file and Trados for the rtf. Right?
Since you have memoQ, you can open the sdlxliff file (the translated one) in memoQ and confirm all segments to store them in the memoQ TM. Then you import your source file (rtf or what format it is?) with the same TM where you stored the sdlxliff segments and run the pre-translate operation to create a generic memoQ xliff file.
What regards "Trados for the rtf", I am not sure I understand what you mean. Do you have your source file in rtf format? Or is it your client who wants a 2-column rtf file generated by memoQ?
If your input file is rtf and they want an output file in rtf format too, then you don't need Trados for that. Just export your translation as rtf after the above-mentioned pre-translation.
If the rtf file in question is the rtf that you can create with memoQ (a 2-column bilingual file), then you don't need Trados again. From this point when you have translated the file in Trados, you only need Trados to create a translated sdlxliff file (File-Advanced Save-Save Copy As).

To summarize the foregoing:
1. With your file opened in Trados editor, go to File, Advanced Save, Save Copy As to get a translated sdlxliff file.
2. Import the translated sdlxliff file into memoQ, open it and confirm all segments to store them in TM.
3. Import the source file (not sdlxliff this time) into memoQ with the same TM, open the file and run 'Pre-Translate'.
4. Check all segments and export the translation.
5. Follow the instructions given above by Epameinondas Soufleros.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 18:07 GMT]

Thanks a lot Stepan. The client sent me the project in 2 formats; rtf and mqxliff. You summarized it clearly in these 5 steps. After I finish the translation, I'll follow your kind instructions and proceed with the conversion. This looks easy.

Many thanks Stepan.

Best regards,
Noha Mostafa

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why couldn't you mention it in your original post? Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:
The client sent me the project in 2 formats; rtf and mqxliff.
Wait a minute... Why didn't you tell that your source files were rtf and mqxliff?
Ok, then... err... If your source files are rtf and mqxliff already, which one of them you translated in Trados? Am I right in my understanding that you imported one of those files (mqxliff most probably?) into Trados and then translated it there, right? If yes, then all you have to do is to Save Target As from Trados. Trados will create an mqxliff file that you can send to your client. With this scenario, mqxliff is the input file for Trados, sdlxliff is its intermediary file, and mqxliff again is the output file. If it was a docx file, then the path it goes would be docx > sdlxliff > docx. In your case the path is mqxliff > sdlxliff > mqxliff. Just save your Trados translation as target mqxliff. You don't need to do all that I described above. Simply click 'Save Target As'. That's it.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 19:51 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Noha Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:

You can use MemoQ for both the MQXLIFF and the RTF files.

All I'm saying is that you won't be able to produce an MQXLIFF file from the SDLXLIFF file that is a match to the RTF file.

Look, we have no idea why the client wants to have the MQXLIFF file. It may be that they just want to add the segments to their translation memory easily. Or it may be that they just want to be able to do a bilingual QA (e.g. in Xbench) on it. If these two reasons are the reasons why the client wants to have an MQXLIFF file, then by all means: simply create a new project in MemoQ, add the SDLXLIFF file to it, and then export an MQXLIFF file. (And deliver the RTF file that you translated in Trados.)

But if the client wants to be able to use the MQXLIFF file to re-create the RTF file later, then you can't simply convert the SDLXLIFF file to MQXLIFF. If the client wants to be able to use the MQXLIFF file to re-create the RTF file, then you have to have translated the RTF file in MemoQ.

Added: I wrote this post before I saw your next post about having received both an RTF and an MQXLIFF file from the client. When I wrote this post, I understood that the RTF file is a monolingual source file in RTF format, and not a bilingual columned RTF file. So some of what I wrote here might not be applicable, if your RTF file is a bilingual columned RTF file.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 19:26 GMT]

Noha Mostafa

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What kind of RTF...? Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:

Wait a second... when you say "RTF", do you mean a file with a table in it, where you're supposed to put the translation in the column next to the source text?

If yes, then I'm 99% certain that the client merely sent you both files to give you more options, and would actually be perfectly happy with just the RTF file (and doesn't actually desire both files back). If the RTF file is such a table, then it means that the RTF file is simply another version of the MQXLIFF file, and the client wanted to give you the choice of whether to translate the RTF file or the MQXLIFF file. If this is the case, and you have already put the translation in the "target" column of the RTF file, then that is all that the client wants (no need to send a translated MQXLIFF file).

Also, if you translated that columned RTF in Trados (by importing it into a new project, and then using Generate Translations at the end), then odds are the "source" column is now translated (-: which means that you would have to copy/paste the translation into the "target" column of the original RTF file.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 19:23 GMT]

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Stepan Konev wrote:

Noha Mostafa wrote:
Wait a minute... Why didn't you tell that your source files were rtf and mqxliff?
Ok, then... err... If your source files are rtf and mqxliff already, which one of them you translated in Trados? Am I right in my understanding that you imported one of those files (mqxliff most probably?) into Trados and then translated it there, right? If yes, then all you have to do is to Save Target As from Trados. Trados will create an mqxliff file that you can send to your client. With this scenario, mqxliff is the input file for Trados, sdlxliff is its intermediary file, and mqxliff again is the output file. If it was a docx file, then the path it goes would be docx > sdlxliff > docx. In your case the path is mqxliff > sdlxliff > mqxliff. Just save your Trados translation as target mqxliff. You don't need to do all that I described above. Simply click 'Save Target As'. That's it.

Hi Stepan,

I didn't translate anything yet. The client has just sent me the project for translation in 2 formats; one rtf and the other mqxliff. Yes, exactly I have 2 source files; one rtf and the other mqxliff. And the client wants me to send him the target file in 2 formats as well; one in rtf and the other mqxliff.

I didn't start translating the file yet. So how would I proceed from here??

Thanks a lot for your immense help.

P.S. The rtf file is a table with 2 columns; the source and an empty one for the target. The mqxliff file is a table with 2 columns as well.

Best regards,
Noha Mostafa

[Edited at 2023-03-09 19:43 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sorry, I have to ask Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:
The rtf file is a table with 2 columns; the source and an empty one for the target. The mqxliff file is a table with 2 columns as well.

Sorry, I have to ask: is the XLIFF file an mQxliff file or an Mxliff file?

Noha Mostafa

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Noha Mar 9, 2023

Noha Mostafa wrote:
I didn't translate anything yet. The client has just sent me the project for translation in 2 formats; one rtf and the other mqxliff. Yes, exactly I have 2 source files; one rtf and the other mqxliff. And the client wants me to send him the target file in 2 formats as well; one in rtf and the other mqxliff.

If you haven't done any translation yet, and since we now know that the RTF file is not the source file for the MQXLIFF file, then you can simply add both files to a new Trados project, and translate both of them as part of that single project.

Some segments will occur in both files. If there are segments with tags, then those segments might not be exactly identical in both files, which would mean that you would have to edit fuzzy matches )-:

Then, when you've finished the translations, use the usual method to generate the target files: right-click each file, select Batch Tasks, and select Generate Target Translations. This will produce a translated MQXLIFF file and a translated RTF file (although you may still need to copy the translated column of the RTF file into the original RTF file, since this process will translate the source column).

Added: the same should apply even if it is an MXLIFF file (i.e. Memsource/Phrase) instead of an MQXLIFF file (i.e. MemoQ), because Trados can translate both those file formats.

[Edited at 2023-03-09 20:08 GMT]

Noha Mostafa

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Now that it is clear that you have a couple of bilingual files Mar 9, 2023

Forget about the rtf file. If you simply add it to Trados, you will not get what you need.
What you do really need now is import the mqxliff file into Trados, then translate it with Trados, then export as mqxliff (simply click Save Target As).
Once you have the mqxliff file as translated, open it in memoQ, confirm all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A, then Ctrl+Enter) and go to the 'Documents' tab - Export Bilingual - select the 'Table RTF' radio button.
Now you have both mqxliff and
... See more
Forget about the rtf file. If you simply add it to Trados, you will not get what you need.
What you do really need now is import the mqxliff file into Trados, then translate it with Trados, then export as mqxliff (simply click Save Target As).
Once you have the mqxliff file as translated, open it in memoQ, confirm all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A, then Ctrl+Enter) and go to the 'Documents' tab - Export Bilingual - select the 'Table RTF' radio button.
Now you have both mqxliff and rtf ready to be emailed to your client.
Collapse

Noha Mostafa

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Mar 10, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
Once you have the mqxliff file as translated, open it in memoQ ... Export Bilingual ...

You are assuming that her bilingual RTF file is a MemoQ bilingual RTF file. She said "two columns", however, and the MemoQ bilingual RTF file has five columns.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert sdlxliff files into mqxliff files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »