"Predictive Writing" (memoQ) vs. "AutoWrite" (Deja VU)
Thread poster: Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:06
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sep 3, 2013

Dear colleagues,

what are your experiences among those who have knowledge of both systems, Deja Vu and memoQ in terms of the funtions "Predictive Writing" (memoQ) vs. "AutoWrite" (Deja Vu)?
Which feature gives better results / is more effectiv? And, cough cough, what about AutoSuggest of Studio (not being serious now...)?
Thank you for sharing your ideas and experience!

Best regards,

Matthias

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Deja Vu's AutoWrite - Sep 26, 2013

is still much smarter, as far as I could see testing both.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
meanwhile... Sep 26, 2013

...my experience too, even when feeding and feeding the "Muse"-feature again and again which can be complicated when applying different TMs for different projects.
Kilgray shares yours and mine experience:
"DeJa Vu's AutoWrite is a very powerful tool, and works ... almost perfectly - but due to the way it is implemented, it does not work with the same efficiency for all language combinations."
At least for Dutch-German and English-German it does.
MemoQ could have been my choice otherwise, perhaps. I hope, one of the both tools will one day outnumber the lacks of the other and, sorry to say so here, I hope it will be Deja Vu by implementing something like the "AutoPick" also for numbers (you still have to type numbers in DV).

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
My experience Oct 7, 2013

Hi,

I had an opportunity to fiddle with most of the autosuggest and whatever else they call it features of Trados, Wordfast Classic, Deja Vu, CafeTran, and MemoQ, mostly in demo versions, but the features were functional.

Here's a short overview:

Deja Vu - its autosuggest feature seems to be the most advanced with suggestions including DeepMiner's findings from user's bases plus Machine Translation (single words and larger phrases - great thing). No need to
... See more
Hi,

I had an opportunity to fiddle with most of the autosuggest and whatever else they call it features of Trados, Wordfast Classic, Deja Vu, CafeTran, and MemoQ, mostly in demo versions, but the features were functional.

Here's a short overview:

Deja Vu - its autosuggest feature seems to be the most advanced with suggestions including DeepMiner's findings from user's bases plus Machine Translation (single words and larger phrases - great thing). No need to prepare any special dictionaries for this option (like in Trados or Memoq), because Deja Vu somehow does it by itself.

Wordfast Classic - the autosuggest function is limited to MT suggestions and words from glossaries, but one nice feature is that apart from suggesting several options of MT (including larger and smaller phrases), it also suggests single words as translated by MT, and placeables. Actually, it's my winner here, although most suggestions come here from MT.

Trados and Memoq - well, I'm describing them together, because from what I've seen, their autosuggest features are similar. First you build a special base of words for autosuggestion and then it can be used in translation. Most suggestions are single words and problably the biggest downside for me, both autosuggest for Trados and Memoq completely ignore machine translation. Not sure about placeables and glossary items, but I'm afraid they don't suggest them. Oh, wait, Trados seems to suggest from glossary, as far as I remember. Also both suggest mostly small chunks like one, two words, opposed to WF and DV which propose larger portions of sentences as well.

CafeTran - it suggests mostly single words or two-word items from MT. Not sure about glossaries and TM resources.

[Edited at 2013-10-07 12:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-07 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The view from CafeTran Oct 7, 2013

pro-lingua wrote:

CafeTran - it suggests mostly single words or two-word items from MT. Not sure about glossaries and TM resources.

❝Auto-completion: CafeTran feeds its auto-complete engine from various resources: TM fragments, glossary matches, online machine translation output and typed words. You can remove incorrect words or expressions by selecting them in the auto-completion pop-up window or by using the Ctrl+Shift+R shortcut.❞ (http://cafetran.wikidot.com/definitions )

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Predictive Writing" (memoQ) vs. "AutoWrite" (Deja VU)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »