Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:01
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 10, 2013

Hi,

I'm still on MemoQ 5. I am translating a text authored in Japan, where Latin characters and characters that look like Latin but are actually double-byte (or full-width if you like) are freely mixed by the author.

I entered an autotranslation rule where I want to get rid of the P-like looking full width character, code point \xff30, but it is not matched. The rule was as follows:

(\xff30)(\d+) and in the replacement part I entered $2.

Will
... See more
Hi,

I'm still on MemoQ 5. I am translating a text authored in Japan, where Latin characters and characters that look like Latin but are actually double-byte (or full-width if you like) are freely mixed by the author.

I entered an autotranslation rule where I want to get rid of the P-like looking full width character, code point \xff30, but it is not matched. The rule was as follows:

(\xff30)(\d+) and in the replacement part I entered $2.

Will memoQ 5 match characters entered like this \xff30 or is this functionality missing?

The funny thing is that \d will match latin and full width digits all the same, without making a difference.

Piotr
Collapse

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:01
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Probably better to pre-process Jun 10, 2013

Hi,

I think on this case you better preprocess your document before importing it to memoQ. Here
  • http://www.ginstrom.com/software/
  • you can download the Wide2narrow macro for word, which allows you to change all double byte characters into single byte, all in one go.

Hope it helps.

Juan Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Matching double byte characters in Autotranslation rules

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »