How to deal with a lot of projects in MemoQ?
ناشر الموضوع: ni-cole
ni-cole
ni-cole  Identity Verified
سويسرا
Local time: 15:08
ألماني إلى فرنسي
+ ...
Nov 25, 2012

Hello

I am used to use Wordfast Classic and trying now memoQ. I had a look at different webinars and the interface is quite easy to use, but I still have some questions...

I just started but already have more than 10 projects, as I am mostly working on short projects (1-2 pages per document). So I am afraid that I will get lost soon with so much projects.

So should I either create a project per client? Or is the idea that I delete the project once it is fin
... See more
Hello

I am used to use Wordfast Classic and trying now memoQ. I had a look at different webinars and the interface is quite easy to use, but I still have some questions...

I just started but already have more than 10 projects, as I am mostly working on short projects (1-2 pages per document). So I am afraid that I will get lost soon with so much projects.

So should I either create a project per client? Or is the idea that I delete the project once it is finished? How do you handle it?

Thanks in advance!
Nicole.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
بولندا
عضو (2004)
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
مترجم الموقع
Hide them Nov 25, 2012

You can hide projects from the list, if it is too cluttered. They still remain on the disk and can reopened, if needed. The only issue is that you have to hide them one by one, instead of selecting several and doing it in a one go.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 14:08
عضو (2009)
هولندي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
This is how I do it... Nov 25, 2012

Hi ni-cole,

I have a project for each client. Then, each time I get a job, I just add the documents to that client project, remembering to add meta-data (Project home > Settings > User name, Client, Domain/Subject). After I finish a job, I usually wait a few weeks and then just delete the documents from inside the client projects.

Michael

PS: don't forget to
... See more
Hi ni-cole,

I have a project for each client. Then, each time I get a job, I just add the documents to that client project, remembering to add meta-data (Project home > Settings > User name, Client, Domain/Subject). After I finish a job, I usually wait a few weeks and then just delete the documents from inside the client projects.

Michael

PS: don't forget to join the memoQ discussion group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/ (where all the memoQ-ers hang out and where you can ask any questions you might have)
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
The age of recycling Nov 25, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

Indeed this is the way to go. Clearly in memoQ a job you receive does not need the creation of an individual project.

Also, if you happen to work mostly for agencies and have end customers that are repeated frequently, you might want to create one project per agency+end customer and recycle that. This way, you will already have the right TM, termbase, non-translatables, settings, etc. Simply delete the files from the project, add the new ones... and get typing with the right resources already in place!

It is also advisable not to use memoQ as your only storage of files. You should keep using folders for customers and their projects, with a way of keeping each job separate so that you can keep a clear structure in case you need to refer to past projects for any reason. memoQ would thus act as your "processing machine", while your source materials and "finished product" for each job will be stored using normal folders in your archives.

ni-cole
ni-cole  Identity Verified
سويسرا
ألماني إلى فرنسي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Recylcling sounds good! Nov 27, 2012

Thank you all for your help!

I will make a project for each client and delete the documents inside from time to time.

And I will join the yahoo-group and may ask some more questions

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
البرتغال
Local time: 14:08
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Just delete? Dec 8, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
After I finish a job, I usually wait a few weeks and then just delete the documents from inside the client projects.

Better practice, I think, to archive them in a LiveDocs corpus for the client or subject before deletion. Particularly now given the addition of context matching to LiveDocs.

When you consider the advantages of viewing matches in their full document context from the concordance or translation results pane (thus making short matches with little or no apparent context more useful), I can't see why anyone would want to rely on a TM any more for routine work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with a lot of projects in MemoQ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »