Is there a way to update a TM without going segment by segment?
Thread poster: Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Local time: 21:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2012

Dear all,

Sorry if this issue has already been posted before but it's not always easy to retrieve posts by key words.

My problem is that I need to update a TM with my translations and I wonder if there is a way of doing it without going segment by segment and do Ctrol+Enter.
I had to revise the docs in Word with track changes and now I imported then into MQ, but the TM should be changed too.

Any help?

Thank you very much

JC <
... See more
Dear all,

Sorry if this issue has already been posted before but it's not always easy to retrieve posts by key words.

My problem is that I need to update a TM with my translations and I wonder if there is a way of doing it without going segment by segment and do Ctrol+Enter.
I had to revise the docs in Word with track changes and now I imported then into MQ, but the TM should be changed too.

Any help?

Thank you very much

JC

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-11-06 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Select all and then confirm Nov 6, 2012

I think you will find that you can select all segments (use the menu or the keyboard shortcut), and then do a single Confirm operation.

Now, there is an important warning to be made here: if you have imported this document anew into your project, i.e. you deleted your previous document from the project and imported this one instead, there is a risk that your memory can end up with both versions of each segment: the one you supplied, and the one reviewed by your customer.

... See more
I think you will find that you can select all segments (use the menu or the keyboard shortcut), and then do a single Confirm operation.

Now, there is an important warning to be made here: if you have imported this document anew into your project, i.e. you deleted your previous document from the project and imported this one instead, there is a risk that your memory can end up with both versions of each segment: the one you supplied, and the one reviewed by your customer.

If you are in this situation, you should ideally delete from your memory all segments stored for this job (use the Resource Console, and edit the memory choosing start/end dates for the segments, then delete the segments and Commit in the segment list), and only then confirm the reviewed segments. This way you will ensure that only the reviewed segments end up in the memory. This duplicity in the segments is caused by memoQ's context information: if you import the file anew, memoQ considers it to be a new file, and therefore a new context.
Collapse

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
100 and 101? Nov 6, 2012

Thank you Tomás

I indeed confirm that risk of double entries. But it seems the 101% units are replaced and not the 100%.
Does it make any sense to you?

Apart from that, the problem is that the TM is on the server, so I can't delete any unit. And I don't think the client knows how to do what you indicate.
Maybe I should just ask him to delete the whole TM and import mine?

Thanks again

JC

TheAlphaSens (X)
TheAlphaSens (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:50
English to French
Operations > Confirm and Update rows Nov 6, 2012

There's another way to commit segments of an updated file into the TM (which also gives you more options):

Operations > Confirm and update rows

Regarding the duplicates issue, why not simply import back the file as an "Update" version of the original file? (rather than importing the RTF as a new file)

Once the edited segments are confirmed, they will automatically overwrite the previous versions in the TM, and it won't require any extra procedure whatsoever
... See more
There's another way to commit segments of an updated file into the TM (which also gives you more options):

Operations > Confirm and update rows

Regarding the duplicates issue, why not simply import back the file as an "Update" version of the original file? (rather than importing the RTF as a new file)

Once the edited segments are confirmed, they will automatically overwrite the previous versions in the TM, and it won't require any extra procedure whatsoever.

That's the whole point of being able to import back updated RTF...
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Nov 7, 2012

TheAlphaSense wrote:

Exactly. I reckon however that it is a bit late in this case and that they have already deleted the original translated file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to update a TM without going segment by segment?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »