Do you copy all source text to target segments before actually translating in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 19:19
English to Chinese
Nov 14, 2011

Dear MemoQ users,

I have another beginner question that I have been wondering but haven't been able to figure out myself, so I am hoping someone could shed some light on this.

Do you copy all segments from the source side to target side before you start translating a file in MemoQ? I usually do that, a habit I formed back in the old SDLX days to avoid recreating tags and retyping numbers in the target segments. However, I found that if the source text is present in a
... See more
Dear MemoQ users,

I have another beginner question that I have been wondering but haven't been able to figure out myself, so I am hoping someone could shed some light on this.

Do you copy all segments from the source side to target side before you start translating a file in MemoQ? I usually do that, a habit I formed back in the old SDLX days to avoid recreating tags and retyping numbers in the target segments. However, I found that if the source text is present in a target segment, and then if I get a match from the TM, MemoQ doesn't automatically insert it in the segment. I have to manually do it by using Ctrl+the number in the translation results window.

Does this sound like a normal MemoQ behavior to you, or is there a setting I did not do correctly? Ideally, I would like to translate with the target segments prefilled with the source text but they would be replaced automatically with a good match from the TM if there is one available. Is it possible?

Thank you so much for your help!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Alexey Oparin
Alexey Oparin
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:19
English to Russian
Play with Nov 14, 2011

"Pre-translate" under "Operations" menu. I believe, you'll be able to achieve your goal (at least partially).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your call! Nov 14, 2011

It is your option, of course, but I prefer to have an empty target column so that I can better see my progress. When I find a segment with tags, I copy that partícular segment with the keyboard shortcut and translate it.

If you populate the whole column in one go, the only visual indication that a segment is not translated would be the status bar (showing a number of empty segments) and the "translation not confirmed" red-cross icon on the right-hand side. To me, it is much clearer
... See more
It is your option, of course, but I prefer to have an empty target column so that I can better see my progress. When I find a segment with tags, I copy that partícular segment with the keyboard shortcut and translate it.

If you populate the whole column in one go, the only visual indication that a segment is not translated would be the status bar (showing a number of empty segments) and the "translation not confirmed" red-cross icon on the right-hand side. To me, it is much clearer to see completion with a completed table cell.
Collapse

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Tomás Nov 14, 2011

I wouldn't work copying the source into the target systematically, unless you have a document whose units must be repeated very often in the target.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Copy if the target is empty Nov 14, 2011

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Does this sound like a normal MemoQ behavior to you, or is there a setting I did not do correctly? Ideally, I would like to translate with the target segments prefilled with the source text but they would be replaced automatically with a good match from the TM if there is one available.

This behaviour would be fairly difficult to reproduce - "pretranslate" will not take into consideration the segments you have put into the TM during the translation of the document itself...

Maybe it would be easier if you just copied the source when nothing is proposed (i.e. the segment stays empty)? You need to hit a shortcut, but you can customize it as you see fit.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Nov 14, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

That's what I usually do. I find that the way MQ handles tags needs some improvements to become more user-friendly. It's one of a few drawbacks of this otherwise very good tool (2nd in my choice).

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 19:19
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot for all these tips, folks! Nov 14, 2011

To Jabberwock,

I found that checking the box for "Copy source to target if no other match found" in #4 under Translation>Automatic lookup and insertion seems to be able to achieve the same "copy the source when empty" behavior you described on the segment level (not the whole document). The only downside to this is, at least to me, the cursor position will be at the end of the segment instead of in the beginning.
What's nice about copying all segments to target before transl
... See more
To Jabberwock,

I found that checking the box for "Copy source to target if no other match found" in #4 under Translation>Automatic lookup and insertion seems to be able to achieve the same "copy the source when empty" behavior you described on the segment level (not the whole document). The only downside to this is, at least to me, the cursor position will be at the end of the segment instead of in the beginning.
What's nice about copying all segments to target before translating is the cursor position would be in the beginning of a segment where I usually start typing my translation.

To Tomas,

I will try the way you work--it's always good to follow the way an expert works:)

And to Stainislav,

MemoQ has become my #1 choice these days. My computer only has 2 or 3 GB memory and the other CAT tool seemed to freeze a lot while I was using it. I am glad that I joined with others to get MemoQ recently. I am amazed how easily it converts the file to the Trados compatible format. Autosuggest never worked well for my language combination, so there is no major feature for me to lose by switching to MemoQ. I have to admit though that I miss the separate termbase window and the fuzzy match capabilities for Multiterm terms in the other tool.

To conclude, based on the tips offered by you veteran MemoQ users, I reckon that there is no feature like "overwrite the target if a match is found" available in MemoQ. I think I can live with that:)

Thank you again to you all!

Chun-yi

Maybe it would be easier if you just copied the source when nothing is proposed (i.e. the segment stays empty)? You need to hit a shortcut, but you can customize it as you see fit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you copy all source text to target segments before actually translating in MemoQ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »