Do I need to save the edited Trados bilingual Word file in rft format before I can reimport?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 06:39
English to Chinese
Oct 29, 2011

Hi! I am using MemoQ for my client who needs Trados bilingual Word file format as deliverables. My question here is whether I need to save the edited Trados Word file in rtf format before I can import it back to update the edited segments in MemoQ. I tried importing the edited bilingual doc file back directly to my MemoQ project but received a file format unsupported error message. Did I have other settings wrong, or should I indeed need to save the doc file in rtf so that MemoQ can recogniz... See more
Hi! I am using MemoQ for my client who needs Trados bilingual Word file format as deliverables. My question here is whether I need to save the edited Trados Word file in rtf format before I can import it back to update the edited segments in MemoQ. I tried importing the edited bilingual doc file back directly to my MemoQ project but received a file format unsupported error message. Did I have other settings wrong, or should I indeed need to save the doc file in rtf so that MemoQ can recognize and process it?
Thank you in advance for answering my question.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is some Microsoft Office package installed? Oct 29, 2011

memoQ needs Microsoft Office to support DOC and DOCX files. Could this be the cause why it would not process your DOC files?

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I have MS Office installed Oct 29, 2011

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for shredding some light on this:) I do have MS Office 2007 installed on my machine (I am a Windows/Microsoft user). I was able to export the MemoQ project/file to the Trados bilingual format without any problems, but I found that MemoQ doesn't seem to recognize the Trados file once it gets edited and I wanted to import it back to MemoQ to update the TM.

It sounds like you do not have the same problem. I will give it another try and see if there i
... See more
Hi Tomas,

Thank you for shredding some light on this:) I do have MS Office 2007 installed on my machine (I am a Windows/Microsoft user). I was able to export the MemoQ project/file to the Trados bilingual format without any problems, but I found that MemoQ doesn't seem to recognize the Trados file once it gets edited and I wanted to import it back to MemoQ to update the TM.

It sounds like you do not have the same problem. I will give it another try and see if there is anything I did incorrectly last time. I am still very new to MemoQ, so it could very well be something I didn't do correctly during the import process.

Thank you so much for your help!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed the files get imported nicely again Oct 30, 2011

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
It sounds like you do not have the same problem. I will give it another try and see if there is anything I did incorrectly last time. I am still very new to MemoQ, so it could very well be something I didn't do correctly during the import process.

Indeed when I export a bilingual DOC for editing outside of memoQ, the file get imported back again nicely.

In memoQ, you have an option to import back the DOC file to reflect the changes to the project, and indeed it is possible that in this option only RTF files are imported.

If you only need to update the memory, you have another option: import the bilingual document anew, selecting all the segments and confirming them all in one go.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Tomas, for sharing your expertise! Oct 30, 2011

Hi Tomas,

Thank you so much for all the valueable information you share with me. MemoQ is still very new to me, so I will need to try out your suggested alternative and hopefully it will not be too hard:)
What I don't understand is if MemoQ has the ability to export a MemoQ file in the Trados biligual doc format, why can't it import an edited Trados bilingual doc back to the MemoQ environment in a similar fashion? That would save me some extra work.

I am not c
... See more
Hi Tomas,

Thank you so much for all the valueable information you share with me. MemoQ is still very new to me, so I will need to try out your suggested alternative and hopefully it will not be too hard:)
What I don't understand is if MemoQ has the ability to export a MemoQ file in the Trados biligual doc format, why can't it import an edited Trados bilingual doc back to the MemoQ environment in a similar fashion? That would save me some extra work.

I am not complaining, by the way. I really like this CAT tool--only wish I had switched sooner. What I like it the most is the pack up and go feature--back up a project in one machine and restore it and resume work on another machine. A really smart solution.
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Select all and confirm? Nov 1, 2011

Hi Tomas,

When you said "selecting all the segments and confirming them all in one go", did you mean 1) Select all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A), right click and choose Confirm (Ctrl+Enter), or 2) Use Confirm and Update Rows function (Ctrl+Shift+U)? Do both options yield the same result by confirming and updating all segments in an open document?
Thank you.

Chun-yi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to save the edited Trados bilingual Word file in rft format before I can reimport?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »