Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
MQ 5.0 worth 2 years of support & upgrade package?
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
English to German
+ ...
Jul 9, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I really like MemoQ and I always advise my colleagues to go for MemoQ and some of them really did. But now I am hesitating to pay for the upgrade to 5.0. None of the new "features" is really meant for me. I don't need version tracking or term extraction, this is geared to agencies. Maybe cascading filters would be helpful for PPT files with embedded Excel tables, but is this not enough to justify an upgrade?

I was asking for improvements of LiveDocs l
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I really like MemoQ and I always advise my colleagues to go for MemoQ and some of them really did. But now I am hesitating to pay for the upgrade to 5.0. None of the new "features" is really meant for me. I don't need version tracking or term extraction, this is geared to agencies. Maybe cascading filters would be helpful for PPT files with embedded Excel tables, but is this not enough to justify an upgrade?

I was asking for improvements of LiveDocs like a possibility to add and align online ressources on the fly without having to download, save and import them or a better organisation of the translation results pane like sorting by the length of the subsegment chunks or a possibilty to go directly to misaligned LiveDocs pairs from a concordance hit or something like Autowrite or AutoSuggest, although they don't want to copy the competitors, etc.

As my upgrade contract expired in May 2010 according to the MQ upgrade policy I'd have to pay two years of support and upgrade package to be entitled to use MQ 5.0. I could also wait for the next major upgrade in a year or two and buy then a new license at Proz Group buy.

What's your choice 4.5 or the latest version?

A nice Sunday to everybody

Noe

[Edited at 2011-07-10 13:28 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My choice is to keep upgrading Jul 10, 2011

Well, I reckon memoQ is a product in which it makes a lot of sense to upgrade, given the very fast development. Yes, maybe there are features you will not use, but if you get into the not-for-freelancers-just-for-agencies dynamic to try to save money, you will be stuck in your current 4.5 and shall lose the benefit of future developments and will not have access to jobs coming from agencies, who naturally will keep upgrading.

Think of LiveDocs for instance: I did not see much use fo
... See more
Well, I reckon memoQ is a product in which it makes a lot of sense to upgrade, given the very fast development. Yes, maybe there are features you will not use, but if you get into the not-for-freelancers-just-for-agencies dynamic to try to save money, you will be stuck in your current 4.5 and shall lose the benefit of future developments and will not have access to jobs coming from agencies, who naturally will keep upgrading.

Think of LiveDocs for instance: I did not see much use for it at the beginning, and use it more and more today. If you had stopped upgrading in memoQ 3, you would see what I mean. You don't know what memoQ will bring in the future, but experience shows that many things will be interesting.

Also, do you really think 125 euros a year is a lot of money to keep your main tool up-to-date? If you are a full-time translator, 125 euros is nuts if you ask me!
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switch or Stay pricewise not at big difference Jul 10, 2011

Hello Tomás,

thanks for your answer. I was ready to pay for the upgrade to 4.5 but I got it for free, apparently my contract was still valid, but now I ask myself if it's economically wise to pay for something I don't need. Spending a little bit more I could maybe get a Tool that fits my needs better. Or I could just pay the two years to say thank you for last two years of development.

MemoQ's chance to get into the market was the time SDL was launching Studio. Switch
... See more
Hello Tomás,

thanks for your answer. I was ready to pay for the upgrade to 4.5 but I got it for free, apparently my contract was still valid, but now I ask myself if it's economically wise to pay for something I don't need. Spending a little bit more I could maybe get a Tool that fits my needs better. Or I could just pay the two years to say thank you for last two years of development.

MemoQ's chance to get into the market was the time SDL was launching Studio. Switching to MemoQ was just a little bit more expensive than upgrading Trados. This time it can be the other way round. Nowadays all the CAT tools provider are giving discounts up to 50 %. There is a price war going on, everybody has put on the gloves, as Istvan said.

And actually I don't work with any agency who wants more than a clean file in the target language (I don't give any discounts for matches) and the European commission doesn't need my term extraction list, they want me to know the right terminology.

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2011-07-10 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dependencies Jul 10, 2011

Noe Tessmann wrote:
And actually I don't work with any agency who wants more than a clean file in the target language (I don't give any discounts for matches) and the European commission doesn't need my term extraction list, they want me to know the right terminology.

I see! In my case all my agency customers using CAT tools are still very Trados oriented, which does not keep me from using memoQ anyway (for TTX and SDLXLIFF files).

Upgrading derives from my desire to have access to whatever these Kilgray guys can come up with.

BTW: I still haven't installed 5.0. It's been very busy here in the office and, 5.0 being a major upgrade, we prefer to wait for a calmer couple of days to upgrade our memoQ server setup and the workstations. I wish I could tell you more about 5.0 in practice!

[Edited at 2011-07-10 07:08 GMT]

Valery Afanasiev
Valery Afanasiev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:26
English to Russian
+ ...
No it does not Jul 30, 2011

You will not get any dramatic improvement with 5.0. It's almost 99% the same with 4.5. Moreover, Kilgray still supports 4.5 having 4.5.75 (!) released inthe line with 5.0.18. Don't worry, just use your 4.5 it's still of much the same capacity. I failed to locate the difference.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
new features of 5.0 Aug 25, 2011

Dear All,

Please read this to get informed about the new features of memoQ 5.0:

http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew

Just a list:
Track changes and segment/document versioning
X-translate (pre-translation from a previous translated version of a document)
Term extraction
Analysis on formatting tags (tags can be weighted into th
... See more
Dear All,

Please read this to get informed about the new features of memoQ 5.0:

http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew

Just a list:
Track changes and segment/document versioning
X-translate (pre-translation from a previous translated version of a document)
Term extraction
Analysis on formatting tags (tags can be weighted into the wordcounts/statistics for better estimation of effort)
And many smaller improvements.

Also, it is important to know that if you don't upgrade after your supportand upgrade period runs out, you are not eligible for technical support either.

Best regards,
Gergely
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did the upgrade Aug 25, 2011

Hi,

so finally I did the upgrade and I am happy. Even more after I had a look at the "new" features of the competitor SDL which I could have had for more or less the same amount of money.
Hopefully the "track changes phase" will soon be over and they'll show up with other features making my life as a freelance translator easier like instant online alignment of LiveDocs without having to save and download them manuallly, access to alignment docs via concordance hits, etc.
... See more
Hi,

so finally I did the upgrade and I am happy. Even more after I had a look at the "new" features of the competitor SDL which I could have had for more or less the same amount of money.
Hopefully the "track changes phase" will soon be over and they'll show up with other features making my life as a freelance translator easier like instant online alignment of LiveDocs without having to save and download them manuallly, access to alignment docs via concordance hits, etc.

Best regards

Noe

[Edited at 2011-08-25 18:26 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:26
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Exactly! Aug 25, 2011

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hopefully the "track changes phase" will soon be over and they'll show up with other features making my life as a freelance translator easier

Well said, Noe. Well said! That's what I'm expecting to happen, as well. Enterprises are not the fabric of the world; software vendors should realize this as soon as possible.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
enterprises... or teams? Aug 29, 2011

Hello Epameinondas,

I disagree with the "translators vs the enterprises" viewpoint, on several levels. I think it's best to talk about "team" features and "translator" features, rather. There is no clear distinction though, because most translators do work together with others at least now and then. And team features aren't neccessarily evil from the translator's point of view, you may find the quite useful when you actually do work in a team. I've been thinking about exactly this:
... See more
Hello Epameinondas,

I disagree with the "translators vs the enterprises" viewpoint, on several levels. I think it's best to talk about "team" features and "translator" features, rather. There is no clear distinction though, because most translators do work together with others at least now and then. And team features aren't neccessarily evil from the translator's point of view, you may find the quite useful when you actually do work in a team. I've been thinking about exactly this: some translators have too much fear and uncertainty in their minds about the team features, and we should work to improve on this.

Track changes becomes useful as soon as more than one person gets involved with a translation job. For example, if you as a translator work together with a reviewer, seeing what the reviewer changed is very useful. I think it is very difficult to argue with this. This has been our experience at Kilgray as well: when we work on important internal documents together, we always use track changes (in Word).

But even if you always work alone, a more complex job can make track changes useful for you. For example, when you want to make some complicated global changes regarding terminology or similar, you can create a snapshot, make your changes, and then you can turn on track changes against the snapshot to review the changes.

Also, you as a translator live in an ecosystem with those "enterprises" (anybody who uses our software in teamwork). Selling to the enterprises means we sell some licenses to them, and some licenses to the translators they work with. From the other side, if translators in general were unsatisfied with memoQ, our sales to translators would plummet, which would make it much more difficult to reach the enterprises as well. (They would have difficulty actually translating anything without translators.) Fortunately, this is clearly not the case, just look at the recent ProZ Group Buy "results", for example.

Yes, we have to reach the enterprises, if we have an opportunity to sell dozens or hundreds of licenses in one go, we would be foolish not to try. We even have to, because we are not a tiny garage or family business.

Back to the original topic, there are some clear "enterprise specific" features in software in general. They are typically the "boring" ones: solutions that help plug the software into all the intricate systems that are already in place. Or things about data integrity, security, backup, etc. Kilgray hasn't been churning out too many of these types of features so far.

Gergely

[Edited at 2011-08-29 11:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-29 12:01 GMT]
Collapse

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
English to Spanish
+ ...
One thing improved with the versión 5 Sep 15, 2011

Dear all,

I also upgraded to the new version, but the choice was easy for me because I am still within the free period.
I perfectly understand Noe. It's difficult to see if an upgrade is worth it or not. I hope at least there won't be several paid upgrades every year.
I haven't tried everything in the new version. I don't need the term extraction at all, because one of the best MemoQ things for me is the ea
... See more
Dear all,

I also upgraded to the new version, but the choice was easy for me because I am still within the free period.
I perfectly understand Noe. It's difficult to see if an upgrade is worth it or not. I hope at least there won't be several paid upgrades every year.
I haven't tried everything in the new version. I don't need the term extraction at all, because one of the best MemoQ things for me is the easy and quick way to add terms, and this way you only add terms you need.
As to the 'Track changes' function, that could be interestingn indeed, but I haven't tried it yet (where is it actually?).
But what I really saw working better in this version, and something nobody has mentionned (am I the only one to have seen it?) is the spelling mistakes recognition in the Horizontal Edit. This function only worked so far in the Vertical Edit view. That's great!

Now, what I would like to see solved is the numbers recognition. Whay does it give an error message when the numbers are exactly the same in source and target? This is really a pity because it's a very useful function.

Cheers to all

JC
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
upgrades Sep 15, 2011

. I hope at least there won't be several paid upgrades every year.

With memoQ all upgrades are free, as long as you have the yearly upgrade and service contract. If you don't have it, you need to buy it and then all upgrades (tiny, small, larger and massive) are included in the price. Just my 2 cents.

Elisabeth Bull
Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No longer post-analysis for translators in online project Feb 8, 2012

There is one feature that has actually been removed from the current version of MemoQ 5.0. Earlier the translators that worked on online projects could perform a post-analysis themselves to see how much they had translated so far. I just finished working on an online project using MemoQ 5.0, and there it became clear that this feature has been removed for the translators. It was a surprise to the project leader as well, he thought we would all be able to track our own progress. When he asked Kil... See more
There is one feature that has actually been removed from the current version of MemoQ 5.0. Earlier the translators that worked on online projects could perform a post-analysis themselves to see how much they had translated so far. I just finished working on an online project using MemoQ 5.0, and there it became clear that this feature has been removed for the translators. It was a surprise to the project leader as well, he thought we would all be able to track our own progress. When he asked Kilgray about this, he was told that "post-translation analysis is only available for project managers".

This is a very unfortunate "upgrade" that has caused lots of misunderstandings so far. The post-analysis that I have received from the company on reqest, has shown numbers that are very different from the analysis that I'm able to perform myself. Which of course makes me doubt the whole process - will I be paid for what I actually do? The concept of post-analysis is very dubious in itself. For me it is imperative to at least be able to check that the numbers I'm presented with after spending weeks of translation, corresponds to something I can check?!

If this has been aired elsewhere in this forum, sorry about that. I tried to search for it, but didn't find it.

Best regards,
Elisabeth
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
post-translation analysis for translators in 5.0 Feb 13, 2012

Hello Elisabeth,

We are investigating this. According to what I know, post-translation analysis for translators was an added (new) feature in version 5.0. It only works for handoff packages at the moment though, and not for online projects. I have to admit that at this point I personally don't know what exactly stopped us from making it available for online projects as well, but I suspect there might be some technical hurdle there.

If post-translation ever worked for tr
... See more
Hello Elisabeth,

We are investigating this. According to what I know, post-translation analysis for translators was an added (new) feature in version 5.0. It only works for handoff packages at the moment though, and not for online projects. I have to admit that at this point I personally don't know what exactly stopped us from making it available for online projects as well, but I suspect there might be some technical hurdle there.

If post-translation ever worked for transaltors in online projects before 5.0, that was probably unintentional.

We'll try to find out and report back.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor
Kilgray
Collapse

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends on how much you work with it. Feb 14, 2012

I had no idea about MemoQ until becoming a Proz member.
I mainly work with agencies who use Trados, but I gave it a try and really liked the software. Although I get no projects for MemoQ, I like importing them into MemoQ (whenever is possible).
Recently, I had an issue and sent an email to the support at 10 pm. To be honest, I expected they would answer next morning, but I got my answer about 1 hour later.
That was priceless.
If you "enjoy" using the program, why not s
... See more
I had no idea about MemoQ until becoming a Proz member.
I mainly work with agencies who use Trados, but I gave it a try and really liked the software. Although I get no projects for MemoQ, I like importing them into MemoQ (whenever is possible).
Recently, I had an issue and sent an email to the support at 10 pm. To be honest, I expected they would answer next morning, but I got my answer about 1 hour later.
That was priceless.
If you "enjoy" using the program, why not support them and benefit from the results? Maybe not every upgrade is worthy, but it maybe a further step towards a major change.
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ cares, new features ahead? Feb 14, 2012

Helmaninquiel wrote:
That was priceless.
If you "enjoy" using the program, why not support them and benefit from the results? Maybe not every upgrade is worthy, but it maybe a further step towards a major change.

Hello,

it's true and as you can see, they care about you. Also Elisabeth got an answer from Gegely who will investigate the case.

But it's already a while since the last update. I can't wait to see the promised makeover of the concordance search, etc.

Best regards

Noe

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MQ 5.0 worth 2 years of support & upgrade package?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »