Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
That’s certainly an option May 23, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Getting started with CafeTran Espresso:

Just jump in. Learn it by using it.

That’s certainly an option, Tom, but different people have different learning styles.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Workflow May 23, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Getting started with CafeTran Espresso:

Just jump in. Learn it by using it.

That’s certainly an option, Tom, but different people have different learning styles.

What I'm saying is: you don't need to interrupt your workflow to start learning how to use CTE- you can use it productively straight away, and gradually work out all the functions as you go. That's the way I learned it. It's why I prefer it to all the other ones I tried.

Philip Lees
Francesca Ciet

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:31
English to Russian
Just a minor concern May 23, 2023

Does the developer has a team, or allies, or successors who can support him just in case or is he a lone wolf? I have been using a free MT/dictionary/dictation/screenshotting program (Qtranslate) for years now and recently its official web site just got down, I can't download xdxf dictionaries, and the developer does not respond to any requests or reports, neither he releases updates nor respond forum comments, etc. Nobody knows what happened. Hence my concern.
I wish Igor many years ahead
... See more
Does the developer has a team, or allies, or successors who can support him just in case or is he a lone wolf? I have been using a free MT/dictionary/dictation/screenshotting program (Qtranslate) for years now and recently its official web site just got down, I can't download xdxf dictionaries, and the developer does not respond to any requests or reports, neither he releases updates nor respond forum comments, etc. Nobody knows what happened. Hence my concern.
I wish Igor many years ahead and admire what he does but just out of curiosity. And I think major companies have this concern too when choosing between a well-established piece of software and a one-person developer.
Collapse

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene
Jean Dimitriadis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hope May 23, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I wish Igor many years ahead and admire what he does but just out of curiosity. And I think major companies have this concern too when choosing between a well-established piece of software and a one-person developer.

I hope Igor never allows himself to be bought out by some massive corporation. They would kill CTE.

Stepan Konev
Philip Lees

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:31
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Qtranslate and CafeTran May 24, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
I have been using a free MT/dictionary/dictation/screenshotting program (Qtranslate) for years now and recently its official web site just got down... Hence my concern.

Qtranslate is a real gem and a very useful tool for translators. (I should thank you, Stepan, because I discovered this software in one of your posts.) If it were a shareware, maybe the developer would have had one more reason the keep it alive. Pity that nothing similar exists for Linux.

I wish Igor many years ahead...

This goes without saying, and I hope he will persist in enjoying the process of developing and enhancing different aspects of CafeTran. Who knows whether CafeTran generates sufficient profit for him given the relatively low price, unless Igor's main motivation is writing software just for fun, which on the other hand may end one day. Nonetheless, I do wish for the user base to expand and reach a sustainable level.

Certainly, I would like to see him more involved in the CafeTran forum or here, as he once was.

Stepan Konev

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Difficult to answer May 24, 2023

Of course I understand what you are saying. But I also think it is difficult for Igor to publish his business decisions and long-term strategy here. After all, the competition also reads these forums.

Tom in London
Stepan Konev
Philip Lees

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Weird May 24, 2023

Seeing it advertised and bandied about so often on Proz, I'd really thought that CafeTran was a big and expensive CAT tool like SDL Trados or Kilgray MemoQ, and that Hans Lenting and Jean Dimitriadis were paid endorsers/influencers or helpdesk personnel of CafeTran. Now I know that's not the case?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
? May 24, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Seeing it advertised and bandied about so often on Proz, I'd really thought that CafeTran was a big and expensive CAT tool like SDL Trados or Kilgray MemoQ, and that Hans Lenting and Jean Dimitriadis were paid endorsers/influencers or helpdesk personnel of CafeTran. Now I know that's not the case?

Why is that a question? What exactly are you asking?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Lol May 24, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

I wonder what you think of me often advocating memoQ and Trados. Am I a paid ambassador of Kilgray or RWS? I wish they read this

[Edited at 2023-05-24 09:17 GMT]

Baran Keki
Jean Dimitriadis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Indeed May 24, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
I wonder what you think of me often advocating memoQ and Trados. Am I a paid ambassador of Kilgray or RWS? I wish they read this

[Edited at 2023-05-24 09:17 GMT]

You'd have been a great asset to them, that's for sure

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 17:31
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Stupid question ? May 24, 2023

Why is that a stupid question ? I also have been thinking that Hans must be somehow connected to CafeTran, because if he isn't he sure as hell must be the biggest CT fan on earth.

I don't think there's something wrong with it (on the contrary, as a CT user it must be a blessing to have this kind of direct support), but I do think it's normal that forum users wonder about the connection with CT of certain Proz members
... See more
Why is that a stupid question ? I also have been thinking that Hans must be somehow connected to CafeTran, because if he isn't he sure as hell must be the biggest CT fan on earth.

I don't think there's something wrong with it (on the contrary, as a CT user it must be a blessing to have this kind of direct support), but I do think it's normal that forum users wonder about the connection with CT of certain Proz members.
Collapse

Baran Keki

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Baran May 24, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
Seeing it advertised and bandied about so often on ProZ.com, I'd really thought that CafeTran was a big and expensive CAT tool like SDL Trados or Kilgray MemoQ, and that Hans Lenting and Jean Dimitriadis were paid endorsers/influencers or helpdesk personnel of CafeTran. Now I know that's not the case?

No. It reminds me of the PKZIP story where everybody thought it was a David vs. Goliath situation, when in fact it was David the Thief vs. David the Developer.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Motivations May 24, 2023

As a free (as in free speech) software enthusiast, I marveled reading Richard Stallman's coding odyssey that lead to the birth of GNU/Linux and the Free/Libre and Open Source movement. At a time, he was competing alone against a slew of programmers that were developing software now proprietary and closed source while he was mirroring their changes without access to the added code.

When I made the switch from tech support to translation back in 2015 and took many months of self-educa
... See more
As a free (as in free speech) software enthusiast, I marveled reading Richard Stallman's coding odyssey that lead to the birth of GNU/Linux and the Free/Libre and Open Source movement. At a time, he was competing alone against a slew of programmers that were developing software now proprietary and closed source while he was mirroring their changes without access to the added code.

When I made the switch from tech support to translation back in 2015 and took many months of self-education to support the transition, I vowed to work from a GNU/Linux OS. Naturally, my preference was on Open Source, and I tried diving into OmegaT.

But then I discovered CafeTran, thanks to Hans's posts on ProZ. It was such a mysterious tool, with very sparse documentation, a joy of discovery.

I was grateful to have such great CAT on Linux. My first CAT love.

I admired the fact that it was being developed by one person, a translator himself. Those days, new builds were being rolled out almost every week, feedback and ideas were listened and often implemented, in ingenious ways.

There was something magic going on. It was a time when the other grumpy Hans and tungsten still roamed the earth, sadly departed since. The other two super active fellows were Hans and Michael Beijer. Discussions were heated, things were moving.

There is something exhilarating in finding and participating in such a project, even if not FLOSS.

At some point, I decided to make TheCafetranFiles (along with TranslateOnLinux.org), reference documents to complement existing documentation and to help fellow translators, in the spirit of free/libre software even if this was a different case.

While this endeavor was not very time effective, it helped me further my knowledge and involvement with CafeTran and my background in tech support proved useful in offering continued community support.

Same as Hans, I am in no way affiliated with CafeTran. The only money I've made off it is from offering occasional online training/consulting.

Since then, the tool has matured and the development pattern has shifted (but if you look at the actual features and changes the result is: things are still going strong).

Having learned to respect the developer approach to things, I don't mind Igor's being minimalist or less present. That rhythm wasn't sustainable anyway and I'm glad things are optimized for better life balance and still running more or less smoothly.

I hope CafeTran remains an alternative power to reckon with for years to come.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2023-05-24 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Lieven Malaise
Hans Lenting
Baran Keki
Stepan Konev
Igor Kmitowski
Philip Lees

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How CafeTran Espresso stands out from the competition

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »