Test: How much text you can translate in CafeTran's free mode (42 pages!)
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 14, 2023

I copied some articles from Wikipedia to a new Ms Word document:

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 10.37.18

Then I created a translation project with 980 segments.

I had to determine the exact number of segments, because in my first attempt I created a project with 1000 segments, based on this info:

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total).

1000 segments were too much:

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 09.51.50

When I clicked the Continue to use free version, with limits button, no segments were saved to the TM ... I had to lower the number of segments to 980. Then 980 segments were saved to the TM, though CafeTran Espresso indicated 971:

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 10.04.00

Have a look at the Ms Word document. I think that CafeTran Espresso's free mode is actually quite generous: 42 pages of text, 15 K words.

[Edited at 2023-05-14 23:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test: How much text you can translate in CafeTran's free mode (42 pages!)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »