Using LLMs Directly in Trados Studio: A Plugin Worth Exploring
থ্রেড পোস্টার: Mohamed Zeid
Mohamed Zeid
Mohamed Zeid  Identity Verified
যুক্তরাষ্ট্র
Local time: 21:20
‍ইংরেজি থেকে ‍আরবি
+ ...
Oct 1

I wanted to share a tool that I think may be of interest to translators who have been experimenting with LLMs in their workflow.

It's called TransLLM, and it's a plugin for Trados Studio that lets you connect Trados directly to LLMs. What I found particularly interesting is that it can work with local models through LM Studio or Ollama, so it is possible to translate without sending the actual translation content to a cloud service.

It can also connect to cloud-based mo
... See more
I wanted to share a tool that I think may be of interest to translators who have been experimenting with LLMs in their workflow.

It's called TransLLM, and it's a plugin for Trados Studio that lets you connect Trados directly to LLMs. What I found particularly interesting is that it can work with local models through LM Studio or Ollama, so it is possible to translate without sending the actual translation content to a cloud service.

It can also connect to cloud-based models if preferred, and it includes some features that are particularly relevant to translation work. For example, you can use glossaries to help guide terminology, create custom prompts for different types of content, and work with tagged segments.

The glossary functionality is especially useful when you want the model to follow preferred terminology instead of translating everything freely. Tag preservation is also supported, which is important when working with formatted or tagged content in Trados. In my experience, tag handling is not always perfect, so it is still something I would check carefully, but it is definitely useful to have the functionality built into the workflow.

For me, the interesting part is less about "AI translation" itself and more about being able to experiment with different translation models directly inside the CAT tool instead of copying segments back and forth between Trados and an external interface.

Of course, the translation quality depends heavily on the model being used, and running models locally also requires appropriate hardware and some setup, so it will not necessarily be the right solution for everyone.

I thought I would share it here since there have been quite a few discussions about LLMs, confidentiality, terminology control, and their possible use in professional translation workflows.

https://www.translationapps.com/

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else here has experimented with local LLMs inside Trados or another CAT tool, especially when it comes to terminology and tag handling.
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

এই ফোরামের মডারেটরগণ
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using LLMs Directly in Trados Studio: A Plugin Worth Exploring







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LinguaCore
AI Translation at Your Fingertips

The underlying LLM technology of LinguaCore offers AI translations of unprecedented quality. Quick and simple. Add a human linguistic review at the end for expert-level quality at a fraction of the cost and time.

More info »