Very easy question: what are the effects of joining and splitting segments in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Claudio Pagliarani
Claudio Pagliarani
Claudio Pagliarani  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 27, 2023

What are the effects of joining or splitting segments in Trados Studio on the final files?

As far as I know, after importing files into Trados Studio (i.e. converting them to SDXLIFF format), translators and proofreaders can manipulate segments in every possible way, and in particular splitting or joining them, for many different reasons.

For instance, translators may need to join segments (i) to create more involving or interesting texts in the target language, (ii) t
... See more
What are the effects of joining or splitting segments in Trados Studio on the final files?

As far as I know, after importing files into Trados Studio (i.e. converting them to SDXLIFF format), translators and proofreaders can manipulate segments in every possible way, and in particular splitting or joining them, for many different reasons.

For instance, translators may need to join segments (i) to create more involving or interesting texts in the target language, (ii) to stick to grammar and syntax rules or (iii) to keep specific parts or the source text together to have uniform style, tone and attitude through a paragraph. But segments can also be broken into smaller bits (i) to achieve easier to understand texts in your target language or (ii) to close a segment after a line break tag.

Even if you join and/or split segments, Trados will create perfectly suitable final files after the exportation / finalization process.

Do you know any side-effects of joining / splitting segments in Trados on final files?

Thank you very much for your hints and insights.
Collapse

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 11:09
English to Russian
+ ...
I know one Apr 27, 2023

If you and a bunch of other translators are working on splits, Trados may fail to merge the output if you join segments or edit source. That's what people told me. For all other intents and purposes, I always have the source editing and segment merge options allowed

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:09
English to Russian
Additional paragraph mark(s) Apr 27, 2023

Every time you merge segments across paragraphs, Trados will cut the text from the second paragraph, paste it into the first segment and leave the second paragraph mark. That is why if you like merging across paragraphs, you should check through the text to remove the superfluous paragraph marks.
Example:

This sentence is segment 1.¶
This is se... See more
Every time you merge segments across paragraphs, Trados will cut the text from the second paragraph, paste it into the first segment and leave the second paragraph mark. That is why if you like merging across paragraphs, you should check through the text to remove the superfluous paragraph marks.
Example:

This sentence is segment 1.¶
This is segment 2.¶
This one must be the same segment too.¶

After you merge the three segments across paragraphs, you end up with this:
This sentence is segment 1. This is segment 2. This one must be the same segment too.¶

[Edited at 2023-04-27 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very easy question: what are the effects of joining and splitting segments in Trados Studio?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »