How to insert the target terms of a glossary in the target segments of a sdlxliff file?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 17:01
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 25, 2023

Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. I sometimes need to deliver the big projects from my regular clients within a tight deadline. Therefore, I seek the help of my accomplished translator friends to finish them as per deadline. But a few friends of mine do not have Trados and as a result they can't use the glossary which may cause severe inconsistency issues.

I earlier used to get rid of this issue by making a MS Word file, opening it in the Wordfast Pro (Version 3)
... See more
Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. I sometimes need to deliver the big projects from my regular clients within a tight deadline. Therefore, I seek the help of my accomplished translator friends to finish them as per deadline. But a few friends of mine do not have Trados and as a result they can't use the glossary which may cause severe inconsistency issues.

I earlier used to get rid of this issue by making a MS Word file, opening it in the Wordfast Pro (Version 3) with Copy source on no match ticked under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory) in the TXML editor. In addition to it, I also needed to tick the option number 2 or 3 in the Terminology:

Settings copy terms from source to target

Copy only source
Copy only target terms
Copy both source and target terms

But these options are not available in the current version of Wordfast Pro. Instead, it has the following under Terminology:

Enable fuzzy term recognition
Enable term highlighting when typing terms
Ignore case for term highlighting

I now use Windows 11 and I can't open Wordfast Pro (Version 3) on it. That is why, I looked to its current version but the earlier options are not available in it. I could easily enter the glossary terms earlier as the English words in the target segments got replaced with the glossary terms when I clicked on each and every segment.

Can this be done with Trados or any other software? Any guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Rajan Chopra
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TermInjector Apr 25, 2023

TermInjector is a plugin that modifies the output of a translation memory in the editor during translation.
These modifications are based on rules, which can range from simple word substitutions to complex formatting operations.

The purpose of TermInjector is to save the translator's time by inserting translations for known terms and by performing recurring modifications automatically.
Whenever you find yourself doing some mechanical editing task over and over again, you could probably benefit from using TermInjector.

With TermInjector, you can for instance insert translations from a glossary, perform customized measurement conversions, copy non-translatable material automatically from a source segment to a fuzzy match and perform systematic changes in fuzzy matches automatically.
Support for regular expressions enables you to create powerful replacement rules, which can improve translation speed considerably.
Includes extensive documentation with many examples (you can access the documentation within Studio).

Rajan Chopra

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:31
English to Russian
Excel, Word or any text format (in addition to the above solution) Apr 25, 2023

You can simply give them an Excel version of your glossary for them to use it consistently. Technologies made all of us a bit lazy but your colleagues should remember there was a time when CAT tools did not exist yet and it didn't create a problem or excuse not to use a glossary. If they accept a job from you, they must stick to your glossary. Make it a rule for them.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion, but... Apr 25, 2023

we must utilize the technology and innovation if it makes our lives better. It will not be less than a punishment to search for each and every term again and again. It is humanly impossible to remember hundreds of terms.

Thanks and regards,

Rajan Chopra

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can simply give them an Excel version of your glossary for them to use it consistently. Technologies made all of us a bit lazy but your colleagues should remember there was a time when CAT tools did not exist yet and it didn't create a problem or excuse not to use a glossary. If they accept a job from you, they must stick to your glossary. Make it a rule for them.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Apr 25, 2023

I searched the internet to find it but I could not find any link to download or buy it.

I look forward to hearing the valuable suggestions from other experienced users. I guess some other methods exist to do it.

Thanks and regards,

Rajan Chopra

Hans Lenting wrote:

TermInjector is a plugin that modifies the output of a translation memory in the editor during translation.
These modifications are based on rules, which can range from simple word substitutions to complex formatting operations.

The purpose of TermInjector is to save the translator's time by inserting translations for known terms and by performing recurring modifications automatically.
Whenever you find yourself doing some mechanical editing task over and over again, you could probably benefit from using TermInjector.

With TermInjector, you can for instance insert translations from a glossary, perform customized measurement conversions, copy non-translatable material automatically from a source segment to a fuzzy match and perform systematic changes in fuzzy matches automatically.
Support for regular expressions enables you to create powerful replacement rules, which can improve translation speed considerably.
Includes extensive documentation with many examples (you can access the documentation within Studio).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:31
English to Russian
Re: humanly impossible Apr 25, 2023

Rajan Chopra wrote:
It is humanly impossible to remember hundreds of terms.
You don't need to remember them. You can find and retrieve them from a table file. Translators used to work that way before the CAT era.
Try to search for Terminjector at the RWS Appstore site:
https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/75

[Edited at 2023-04-25 15:01 GMT]

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggesting... Apr 26, 2023

...the exact link to download it. I hope that it serve the purpose.

Thanks and regards,

Rajan Chopra

Stepan Konev wrote:

Rajan Chopra wrote:
It is humanly impossible to remember hundreds of terms.
You don't need to remember them. You can find and retrieve them from a table file. Translators used to work that way before the CAT era.
Try to search for Terminjector at the RWS Appstore site:
https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/75

[Edited at 2023-04-25 15:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert the target terms of a glossary in the target segments of a sdlxliff file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »