Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Local time: 13:11
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Mar 15, 2023

Hello, I'm sure this is a really easy question:
I'm working on a Trados package sent to me by my client. It contains 4 Word files. Yesterday, the client sent me a fifth file to add to the package (presumably). It's just another Word doc and the extension is .docx.sdlxliff.
My question is what do I do with it? Do I just drop it into the source folder "it-IT"? (My working languages are It>Eng)

Thanks in advance!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Use "Add Files" Mar 15, 2023

Yes, you should be able to click Add Files in the ribbon and Quick Add Files will run in the background to prepare the file, pre-translate, add to target language, etc.

If you don't have the source docx file, you may not be able to produce a target Word file, but since you will probably be returning a package, this may not matter. You can check before you start translating by opening the sdlxliff in the editor and pressing shift+F12 to save the target Word file.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Mar 15, 2023

...for your swift reply Emma. That worked perfectly!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doesn't work, though... Mar 15, 2023

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Yes, you should be able to click Add Files in the ribbon and Quick Add Files will run in the background to prepare the file, pre-translate, add to target language, etc.

You can also right-click in the project's file list, or you can drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer into the file list in Trados.

These actions add the file(s) to the project, and you can edit/translate the file(s) as part of the same project, but... added files don't get included in the return package, which is what the OP is likely going to be asked to deliver. So, when you deliver the files, you should not deliver a return package, but zip up the project's target language folder instead.

Kean Hall wrote:
...for your swift reply Emma. That worked perfectly!

You can check if a file was added to the return package by unzipping the return package (i.e. treat it like a ZIP file and unzip it). I'm assuming you need to deliver a return package -- not all clients who send their translators packages (SDLPPX) require a return package (SDLRPX).

[Edited at 2023-03-15 12:08 GMT]

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel... Mar 15, 2023

...duly noted!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a .docx.sdlxliff file to an existing Trados package

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »