Thread poster: Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Local time: 01:05
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2007

Hello.

I am a teacher of English. I'm Lithuanian and I teach in Vilnius, Lithuania. I teach adult students in a private language institute (language courses). I am interested in writing papers for my own pleasure with possible future publishing.

Currently I want to work for a topic called:
Translate or Not Translate: That is The Question, a.k.a. Rendering the Meaning from TL into L1.

This is a working title and yes a bit pompous...
See more
Hello.

I am a teacher of English. I'm Lithuanian and I teach in Vilnius, Lithuania. I teach adult students in a private language institute (language courses). I am interested in writing papers for my own pleasure with possible future publishing.

Currently I want to work for a topic called:
Translate or Not Translate: That is The Question, a.k.a. Rendering the Meaning from TL into L1.

This is a working title and yes a bit pompous

I am looking for teachers willing to take part in this project by filling in a questionnaire (can send by email) and help me with their comments in general.

For more info, contact me at [email protected]

Ele
Collapse

Tatiana Pelipeiko
Tatiana Pelipeiko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
I've been teaching adults Aug 1, 2007

French, for students in the Moscow institute of foreign languages. It was not for beginners, but for a level we could call upper-intermediate.
If that suits you and your questionnaire is in any language I understand, you may send it over to my mail ( tatianap at yahoo dot com)

Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Tatiana Aug 1, 2007

Tatiana Pelipeiko wrote:

French, for students in the Moscow institute of foreign languages. It was not for beginners, but for a level we could call upper-intermediate.
If that suits you and your questionnaire is in any language I understand, you may send it over to my mail ( tatianap at yahoo dot com)

Thank you. I will have the questionnaire proofread and I hope to start sending it out soon.

Also, a big thanks for everybody who emailed me! You are great but I think you know that

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad to help! Aug 1, 2007

I've been teaching adults and university students in several careers. Feel free to send me the questionnaire through my profile or at [email protected].

Cheers!

Letty

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Glad to help me too! Aug 2, 2007

I never used to teach others for foreign languages.
But I used to teach others for programming languages.

My knowledge of English language is quite good you I think I could help.

Greetings from Kosovo

Marian Vieyra
Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:05
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
To be or not To be - To Translate or Not To Translate - that is the question. Aug 2, 2007

Kootvela,

Good title, but if you want to paraphrase Shakespeare, I think you should follow the original wording using the infinitive.

Regards
Marian

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you Marian! Aug 2, 2007

Marian Vieyra wrote:

Kootvela,

Good title, but if you want to paraphrase Shakespeare, I think you should follow the original wording using the infinitive.

Regards
Marian

That's what I though at first but forgot to pointed out.

Have a nice day!

Letty

Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shakespeare... Aug 2, 2007

Dear all,

I wish you had read the initial post more carefully. This is a WORKING TITLE and thus can always be changed.

To all Shakespeare fans here, I have no intention yet of changing the title. With something that should be there and is not, works are more likely to get more attention. You have just proved it.

Plus, I like it this way better.

Thanks anyway:-)

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
more attention Aug 3, 2007

Kootvela wrote:
To all Shakespeare fans here, I have no intention yet of changing the title. With something that should be there and is not, works are more likely to get more attention. You have just proved it.
Plus, I like it this way better.

Ele,
About your title: I'm afraid I agree with Marian and Letty. You write that your article is likely to get more attention if something is missing from it, but is this the kind of attention you want? Typos in restaurant menus get attention too, but that's negative attention. Remember the book mentioned in this thread http://www.proz.com/post/568344#568344 ? I'm not sure many language professionals bought that book, and yet it got plenty of attention (on ProZ.com alone). You're writing an article about language so it should be perfectly correct grammatically. You wrote that you have no intention yet of changing the title; will it be clear to your readers that you wrote it like that on purpose? Or will they think that you didn't know how to write it correctly, and lose faith in your writing skills before even reading the article?
Just some food for thought.
Maria

Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shakespeare again Aug 3, 2007

Point taken.

In the final run, I won't use this quote at all, I suppose. I am a title freak and I like transforming things but Shakespeare stopped being original long time ago. I have second thoughts but the title, which is as important as the paper itself, will be my last consideration. Much will depend on the findings of the questionnaire.

Currently moving onto theoretical part.

Thanks, everybody.

Kootvela (X)
Kootvela (X)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Questionnaire Aug 12, 2007

I've been sending the questionnaire and getting various replies since I posted here. I want to thank all people who took their time to help me in this project. The deadline for questionanires will be 6th September 2007. By this time I hope to have finished the theoretical part.

Once again, thanks everybody!

Ele

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PROJECT: Using translation in teaching a foreign language

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »