Tópico cartaz: Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
japonês para espanhol
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thank you Jul 19, 2010

Thank you all for taking the time to give your opinions about my topic; however, as you can see, my original post is very old (from year 2005) and I'm not even teaching anymore.

I wanted to close the topic, since I don't need the answers and am getting a lot of new responses these days; still, those answers can be of use to people like japanese_inter, so I've opted to leave the post open and stop the notifications of new postings to my e-mail.

Thank you for your unders
... See more
Thank you all for taking the time to give your opinions about my topic; however, as you can see, my original post is very old (from year 2005) and I'm not even teaching anymore.

I wanted to close the topic, since I don't need the answers and am getting a lot of new responses these days; still, those answers can be of use to people like japanese_inter, so I've opted to leave the post open and stop the notifications of new postings to my e-mail.

Thank you for your understanding.
Collapse

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2008)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Thanks anyway ... Jul 19, 2010

... for not closing this thread. I found it beneficial ... and after Tom stampeded me the other day by helping me realise how ill-mannered this "have a nice day" must seem (me nimrod), it was nice to have him crack me up this time:

Tom in London wrote:

You could always adopt the standard English method of greeting people when they arrive. This consists of completely ignoring them.

Similarly, when an English person leaves, they simply leave. They don't say goodbye, and none of the people remaining give the slightest indication that anything has happened.

In these situations the most you can expect from an English person, if they are of a particularly emotional disposition, is an almost imperceptible slight raising of one eyebrow, and perhaps a brief glance; but this would be considered bad form.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
alemão para espanhol
+ ...
"Nem fent"... Jul 19, 2010

Momoka wrote:

I'm currently teaching ESL to beginners, and one of my new students is never at ease when asked "How are you?". I've taught her the traditional replies (Fine, Good, Very well, not bad, etc), but I guess she needs more -short- options, since it's too soon for her to start talking about herself and what has happened that made her feel this or that way, etc. Anyway, I'd like to hear more possible answers (conventional and not that conventional) to this everyday greeting. Any help?

Catalans we never say we are well, lest they would ask us for money...
The typical response is "nem fent...". And now, try to translate it correctly into English ;-D

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 21:10
sueco para inglês
I know my place... Jul 20, 2010

Re one of the above answers: The Two Ronnies' sketch 'Class' (check on YouTube) is recommended to explain the inexplainable question of class in England (the Welsh and the Scots seem to be a bit brighter). Well-spoken foreigners are a constant problem - they can't be "placed" in the right bracket.

The unfathomable greeting 'How do you do?' seems to have disappeared.

On meeting someone for the first time in Sweden the customary thing is to shake hands and say your name.
... See more
Re one of the above answers: The Two Ronnies' sketch 'Class' (check on YouTube) is recommended to explain the inexplainable question of class in England (the Welsh and the Scots seem to be a bit brighter). Well-spoken foreigners are a constant problem - they can't be "placed" in the right bracket.

The unfathomable greeting 'How do you do?' seems to have disappeared.

On meeting someone for the first time in Sweden the customary thing is to shake hands and say your name. An Englishman visiting Stockholm found this rather amusing because the other person's name is often inaudible. His experiment was to quickly mutter, 'I murdered my mother'. Nobody reacted.

If you ask a Swede, "How are you", you may well get a detailed answer.
Collapse

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible answers to "How are you?"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »