Thread poster: Frances Bryce
Frances Bryce
Frances Bryce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
German to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2016

A friend of mine has just asked me for some advice. She has no knowledge of Russian and wanting to learn some basics for when they have a child come and stay with their family next summer. She has hardly any language learning experience (GCSE French 20 years ago) but is a skilled professional person and quite dedicated to the idea.

Of course, I have offered to help where I can but ideally I'm looking for some good resources that she can access (books and online) that would suit
... See more
A friend of mine has just asked me for some advice. She has no knowledge of Russian and wanting to learn some basics for when they have a child come and stay with their family next summer. She has hardly any language learning experience (GCSE French 20 years ago) but is a skilled professional person and quite dedicated to the idea.

Of course, I have offered to help where I can but ideally I'm looking for some good resources that she can access (books and online) that would suit beginners. She only has 6 months and will want something targeted to the language they will use in the home I guess, mainly spoken rather than written.... basic greetings, mealtimes, personal care and caring for a poorly child, hobbies and leisure activities. I guess spoken language will be more important that written.

I remember using the Malvern Language Guides which were specifically for exchange visits, when I used to do such things as a young person but they dont have anything for Russian. Obviously we can browse Amazon and the like but just thought someone on here might have the perfect answer.

Sadly my more basic language learning ended about 10 years ago, so I'm particularly out of touch with good online resources for this if anyone has any bright ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:14
English to Thai
+ ...
Duolingo Jan 6, 2016

Frances Bryce wrote:

I remember using the Malvern Language Guides which were specifically for exchange visits, when I used to do such things as a young person but they dont have anything for Russian. Obviously we can browse Amazon and the like but just thought someone on here might have the perfect answer.

I enjoy www.duolingo.com's and www.loecsen.comsince's learning steps are joyful and simple with a number of motivations for our advancement in specific languages. I review my Russian grammar through this site.

Soonthon L.

Blair Denholm
Blair Denholm
Local time: 08:14
Russian to English
Youtube Jan 6, 2016

Go to Youtube and type in "basic Russian" - you will be amazed (or maybe not) at the vast amount of resources there. Most clips are not too long and cover pretty much what you are looking for.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone Jan 6, 2016

Both of these are good. Pimsleur is much cheaper, audio-only, does not deal with reading and writing. Rosetta Stone is interactive and audio-visual, deals with listening, speaking, reading, writing.
I suggest you give Pimsleur a try for basic conversation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian language learning resources for beginners

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »