Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Anyone know an online master's program in translation?
Thread poster: Rob Albon
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
International and North American Programs/Certifications by the ATA Jul 19, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

Rob,
You might want to contact the ATA. I know they have a publication out about all of the available translation courses in the US. I know for sure that Monterey Institute (MIIS) only offers on-site courses.
Cheers,
Daina (MIIS grad)

It appears that the ATA offers an "International Certification Study: A compilation of articles featuring certification programs from around the world" as well as "Park’s Guide to Translating and Interpreting Programs in North America: The best source of comprehensive information on translating and interpreting education in the United States, Mexico, and Canada."

They cost:
International Certification Study
$30 members, $50 nonmembers

Park's Guide to Translating and Interpreting Programs in North American
$30 members, $45 nonmembers

plus shipping

I found this at http://www.atanet.org/bin/view.fpl/13761.html.

I am considering the same thing Rob and would be interested in hearing how you fare.

David

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with printed studies from ATA Jul 19, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
You might want to contact the ATA. I know they have a publication out about all of the available translation courses in the US.

David Jessop wrote:
It appears that the ATA offers an "International Certification Study: A compilation of articles featuring certification programs from around the world" as well as "Park’s Guide to Translating and Interpreting Programs in North America: The best source of comprehensive information on translating and interpreting education in the United States, Mexico, and Canada."

Thank you Daina and David. Actually, I would guess reports published by ATA (or anyone else) are outdated by the time they hit the street. Especially with online eudcation, it seems to change every few months. NYU advertised in the ATA Chronicle for their master's in translation last year and now the program is gone. I would recommend saving your money--an hour of internet searching and a few emails to the universities and you can probably write your onw guide!

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Responses from UNE and UB Linguistics MA Jul 19, 2004

Dr. Liz Ellis (liz.ellis[at mark here]une.edu.au) at University of New England has responded to my queries to that school, and Christine (christine[at mark here]DavidEnglishHouse.com) at the University of Birmingham has responded as well, so these programs seem to be alive and well and interested taking students.

Note these are applied linguistics MA degree programs, which may or may not be of interest to translators.

Best,
Rob Albon

Mark Edmundson
Mark Edmundson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
French to English
+ ...
Update from England for Rob Sep 3, 2004

Hi Rob
I believe it was yourself who was interested in me keeping you informed about how things are going regarding my Masters online course at UWE. Well, things have finally started moving, as I have finally been accepted (I had a lot of forms to fill in as I am registered disabled with MS). I start properly at the end of September and will keep you posted on how things are going and whether I feel that the course is worthwhile.

Take good care
Mark

Kassiani Bouloukou
Kassiani Bouloukou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:02
French to Greek
+ ...
Graduate program in translation Sep 25, 2004

Rob Albon wrote:

I am looking for an online U.S. graduate program in translation or in French which culminates in a terminal master's degree. A Ph.D. program would be even better.

The program should be from a U.S. university or at least a university accredited in the U.S. I have seen some programs in South Africa (UNISA) and other locations around the world, so any input from those who have gotten an MA from those universities and suceeded in landing a job in U.S. academe would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

Dear Rob,
Sorry, but I do not know of any US online graduate programs. I do however know of the long distance postgraduate course offered by the University of Birmigham in the U.K.
Maybe it's worth having a look at their site.
Best regards
Cassie

Silvia Prendin
Silvia Prendin  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:02
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Just curious May 20, 2005

How did it go? Any news from the online students?

I was considering an online graduate program, too.

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No good news yet May 20, 2005

Hello,
I continue to pursue a certificate in French>English Translation online at NYU. It is a good program, but, unfortunately, I have yet to find a U.S. online master's program in translation.
Sphynx wrote:

How did it go? Any news from the online students?

I was considering an online graduate program, too.

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Project Management at NYU Oct 24, 2005

I am now taking NYU's online Translation Project Management class at NYU. So far, NYU remains the easiest online translation course, it is just too unfortunate that they have discontinued their master's in translation.

Since my last post in May 2005, I have looked at a few other online courses in international studies, library and information studies, etc.

But these courses were not exactly what I wanted, so I have held back waiting for a translation course to come ava
... See more
I am now taking NYU's online Translation Project Management class at NYU. So far, NYU remains the easiest online translation course, it is just too unfortunate that they have discontinued their master's in translation.

Since my last post in May 2005, I have looked at a few other online courses in international studies, library and information studies, etc.

But these courses were not exactly what I wanted, so I have held back waiting for a translation course to come available.

Rob Albon
rob at albon dot us
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
French>English Financial Topics at NYU Oct 27, 2005

I took NYU's French>English Financial Topics class Spring of 2005. We looked at financial reports in some detail. Based on what I learned about financial reports in that class, I was able to secure several Japanese>English financial translation jobs this week, and I made back the $700 ($800?) tuition for the course in a few days.

I would say this course is definitely worth the money!

Rob Albon
rob(at)albon(dot)us

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Completed NYU Translation Project Management course, Dec 05 Dec 23, 2005

I finished NYU's Translation Project Management course this month, December of 2005. The course, taught by Kristi Gray, a project manager at Eriksen Translations (www.erikseninc.com), was very informative.

I remain impressed with the high quality of instruction at NYU. The classes provide information that I am applying within days, sometimes hours, of learning it in class.

I cannot rec
... See more
I finished NYU's Translation Project Management course this month, December of 2005. The course, taught by Kristi Gray, a project manager at Eriksen Translations (www.erikseninc.com), was very informative.

I remain impressed with the high quality of instruction at NYU. The classes provide information that I am applying within days, sometimes hours, of learning it in class.

I cannot recommend this program highly enough.

This was my 4th class, I have one more to get my certificate.

I don't want it to end :-<

I only wish that they would bring their masters in translation program online.

[Edited at 2005-12-23 00:31]
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU Translation program director Milena Savova Dec 23, 2005

I met Milena Savova, the director of the translation program at NYU, at the ATA conference in Seattle.

She says that NYU is still interested in providing an online MA in translation, but she is not sure when it will actually be possible to offer the program.

I have found the instruction at NYU to be top quality. The classes translate into dollars immediately.

In an earlier post, I said it was the "easiest" program. What I mean is that it is the most user-fr
... See more
I met Milena Savova, the director of the translation program at NYU, at the ATA conference in Seattle.

She says that NYU is still interested in providing an online MA in translation, but she is not sure when it will actually be possible to offer the program.

I have found the instruction at NYU to be top quality. The classes translate into dollars immediately.

In an earlier post, I said it was the "easiest" program. What I mean is that it is the most user-friendly program. NYU is also a name that everyone in the world recognizes.

Let's all email her to let her know that we are interested in an online MA in translation at NYU. Her email is ms93(at)nyu(dot)edu.
Collapse

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:02
Italian to German
+ ...
strongly ınterested but... Dec 28, 2005

Rob Albon wrote:

In an earlier post, I said it was the "easiest" program. What I mean is that it is the most user-friendly program. NYU is also a name that everyone in the world recognizes.

Let's all email her to let her know that we are interested in an online MA in translation at NYU. Her email is ms93(at)nyu(dot)edu.

Rob
Congrats on your commıttment! I would also be strongly ınterested ın pursuıng an onlıne MA program ın translatıon., however I fear they wıll not provıde my B-language (ITALIAN).
If you should know more about ıt, let me know...
Stıll good luck wıth your certıfıcate...
BW

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 05:02
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
NYA online courses Jan 15, 2006

Hi Ron,

I am very interested in NYU's online programmes, especially "Introduction to Software Localization" and "Project Management for Translation".

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you could answer:

1. Do you get any written materials (hard copy or downloadable per PDF etc.) with these online courses, or is it purely 100% virtual?

2. What sort of qualification do you get once you complete it? Do you get a certificate or 'just' a
... See more
Hi Ron,

I am very interested in NYU's online programmes, especially "Introduction to Software Localization" and "Project Management for Translation".

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you could answer:

1. Do you get any written materials (hard copy or downloadable per PDF etc.) with these online courses, or is it purely 100% virtual?

2. What sort of qualification do you get once you complete it? Do you get a certificate or 'just' a piece of paper saying you have completed a course? (According to the NYU website these are non-credit courses, thus my question.)

3. Do you need to buy books or other reading materials or is everything provided online?

Many thanks in advance for your answer!
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Italian at NYU Jan 15, 2006

italia wrote:
I would also be strongly interested in pursuing an online MA program in translation., however I fear they will not provide my B-language (ITALIAN)

Hi,

It seems like you do German? I think NYU has a German program. Why don't you try that?

My B language is Japanese, my C language is Chinese, and my D language is French. Since, of my pairs, NYU only offers a certificate in French, I am working on it in that pair. Still, I have found what I learned to be applicable in all pairs.

Rob

[Edited at 2006-01-15 00:52]

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU course certificate, books, and study materials Jan 15, 2006

Hi, Nicole,
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:
Hi Ron,

It's "Rob" not Ron :->

I have taken Project Managemet, Kristi Gray was our instructor. It was a very good class.

Everything is downloadable, you can print it all out.
2. What sort of qualification do you get once you complete it? Do you get a certificate or 'just' a piece of paper saying you have completed a course? (According to the NYU website these are non-credit courses, thus my question.)

The courses are non-credit. You get a certificate after completing 5 courses. I have found it very useful on job applications. It may be less useful in academe, but I have more than made my money back using it outside the Ivory Tower.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:
3. Do you need to buy books or other reading materials or is everything provided online?

There are no books that you have to purchase. Some of the courses may recommend some books, but the courses also devote a lot of time to showing you how to use the internet. I have purchased some of the recommended books (some of which I am now selling on amazon) but I have yet to take a course where I felt obliged to purchase a book.

[Edited at 2006-01-15 01:13]

[Edited at 2006-01-15 01:13]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know an online master's program in translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »