Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:09
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Native only Jul 21, 2010

Williamson wrote:

Why does that ugly beast of native only keeps popping up time and again?

Maybe you've answered your own question.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:09
English to Thai
+ ...
I am happy with the job I freely selected Jul 22, 2010

I was a university graduate in engineering and found that my technical writing skill might work best in translation business. My self-education changed me gradually to translation job with higher income. I believe that translation includes a number of domain; I have improved my career only in technical translation: a type of business language for me.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:09
English to French
+ ...
working in France : année sabbatique / congé formation Jul 22, 2010

Virginie, if you are working for a French company with a CDI (permanent position) you might consider applying either for a sabatical - you won't be paid but you can come back to your previous job if you decide that teaching/translating is not for you - or for a training year (congé formation), where you can be paid about 60% of your current salary while studying.

Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I could not agree more.... Jul 22, 2010

Hermeneutica wrote:

Couldn't agree more. But, Virginie asked, and we're telling her ...
Freelance translating [or freelance anythinge else, for that matter] may give her more peace and quiet and above all, day-to-day, minute-to-minute, ***choice***. For her, less money but the option to say "No I can't" or "No I won't" may be worth it.

I miss the subsidised mortgages and the long paid holidays and the year end bonuses, but I prefer the fact that I don't have to justify another hour of darkness if I have a migraine on waking up, or beg for forgiveness if my cat is sick and needs to go to the vet, or a friend needs help at the other end of the country and I can just take my car, my cats, my mobile office and just move over there for a few weeks without having to ask / beg anyone for permission.
And sometimes it's easier to work a weekend and take off a couple of days during the week to do the things you can't do at weekends because the necessary organisations are closed. And so on ... countless examples, including that when a mistake is made, it's *my* mistake [and not somebody else's that's blamed on me], and if *I* do a good job, with a nice client I'll get recognition, instead of my supervisor taking the glory [which brings us back to the career ladder].

In the end, it's always give and take and everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Good night now ...

Dee

This is exactly it Dee!!!!!
How did you know for the cats ?)

Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not possible for me :( Jul 22, 2010

nordiste wrote:

Virginie, if you are working for a French company with a CDI (permanent position) you might consider applying either for a sabatical - you won't be paid but you can come back to your previous job if you decide that teaching/translating is not for you - or for a training year (congé formation), where you can be paid about 60% of your current salary while studying.

Thank you Nordiste.
I live in France but I work in Monaco so forget about the possibilities such as a sabatical year or any other training that any french people has the right to apply for.
I don't want to work in this Principauty anymore...believe me it's not what you can expect .I just want to go back to the real "world", it was a great experience but I've had enough, it's time for me to move on.

I will concentrate on my first degree (licence LEA anglais-italien), and carry on sending CV.

Have nice day et bonjour au nord (que j'affectionne particulièrement)
Virginie

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Non-natives teaching English Jul 22, 2010

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

To find a teaching position, you'll be competing against many English-speaking people with a TEFL qualification. It's a very competitive market too. Ask yourself honestly: who do you think a language school is more likely to appoint, even if you both hold the same qualification?

Hello Virginie,

Although it may be true that it is more difficult as a non-native English speaker to find a job teaching English, people are able to do this.

I took the CELTA course last year, and there were a few non-native speakers in my class. They did very well and passed with no problems. Although they did not have a native accent, I noticed that in many cases they excelled at teaching grammar because they had studied it already.

Some of the native speakers did not have a very strong grammar background, and had difficulty when their "teaching practice" lessons included grammar.

Another observation: I taught English at a school in Rome which employed native Italian English teachers as well to supplement lessons with native speakers, especially for the beginning levels. It can definitely be an asset to speak the learners' native language to explain difficult concepts.

Good luck!

Liz

Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Liz Jul 23, 2010

For your kind message!

Have a lovely week-end.
Virginie

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on career switch needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »