Equivalent to Goethe Institut/Institut francais for English in Germany?
Thread poster: Robyn Auer
Robyn Auer
Robyn Auer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:05
German to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2009

Hello all,

I've recently started teaching English in Germany and like most teachers am always on the lookout for new material. I used to teach German & French in Britain and would often go to the Goethe Institut and Institut francais in London for inspiration. Is there any equivalent institution for English?

Thank you,
Robyn

[Edited at 2009-02-02 20:21 GMT]

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Danish to English
+ ...
GI/IF equivalent Feb 2, 2009

The British Council?

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
Amerika-Haus Feb 2, 2009

I agree with the idea of the British Council.

Some cities also have a so called "Amerika-Haus" although some of them were already closed due to cost reasons. They usually offer a library, courses, magazines. etc. Maybe that is what you are looking for.

Kind regards

AntDunn
AntDunn
Local time: 06:05
German to English
British Council Feb 2, 2009

The British Council would definitely be my reccommendation. They have pretty much the same responsibilities and aims as the Goethe Institut (but obviously for the English language), and they also provide a great number of useful tools and resources for teaching English as a foreign language.

Also for teaching material, there is a section of the BBC website which has some very useful source texts and vocabulary sheets designed to be used for teaching English, but I found that they we
... See more
The British Council would definitely be my reccommendation. They have pretty much the same responsibilities and aims as the Goethe Institut (but obviously for the English language), and they also provide a great number of useful tools and resources for teaching English as a foreign language.

Also for teaching material, there is a section of the BBC website which has some very useful source texts and vocabulary sheets designed to be used for teaching English, but I found that they were a bit advanced for any classes other than Oberstufe / Klasse 10 in a Gymnasium.

Hope that helps!

Anthony
Collapse

Robyn Auer
Robyn Auer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Feb 2, 2009

Thank you all for your suggestions. They've provided me with a really good starting point. I have just singed up at the British Council website. Its such a shame they've only got an office in Berlin.

Special thanks also to Anthony. The BBC pages are just what I was looking for in terms of online resources. I cannot believe I didn't think of that myself!

Robyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Equivalent to Goethe Institut/Institut francais for English in Germany?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »