Oleksiy Markunin
Oleksiy Markunin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:15
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
Jan 12, 2009

Really need some pieces of advice..

In a month I'm going to teach a new course "Machine Translation", about 6-9 lessons. The main problem is that it is going to be a completely new course for our students and for me too =)

How do u think what is worth teaching here? Some info about machine translation, CAT, translation memory, etc.? Some practice using programs like TRADOS, Deja Vu, etc.? I think more emphasis should be on hands on approach than on theory, right?
... See more
Really need some pieces of advice..

In a month I'm going to teach a new course "Machine Translation", about 6-9 lessons. The main problem is that it is going to be a completely new course for our students and for me too =)

How do u think what is worth teaching here? Some info about machine translation, CAT, translation memory, etc.? Some practice using programs like TRADOS, Deja Vu, etc.? I think more emphasis should be on hands on approach than on theory, right?
Do you think that e.g. "some info on how to use Google while doing translation" also fits into this course?

What would you like to study if you were to attend such a course?

Any hints are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Svezia
Local time: 23:15
Da Inglese a Svedese
+ ...
Concentrate on Machine translation and don't add CAT (7 first lessons) Jan 12, 2009

Lesson 1) I think you should start the course in Machine translation (MT) with basic theory; Computational linguistics.

Lesson 2) A short overview of MT's history

Lesson 3) Show some examples when MT performs at its basic level (simple substitution of words), and the theory behind (the translation process, linguistic rules etc.).

Lesson 4) Proceed to more complex MT, and the theory behind

Lesson 5) Approaches: Rule-based, Statistical, Example-
... See more
Lesson 1) I think you should start the course in Machine translation (MT) with basic theory; Computational linguistics.

Lesson 3) Show some examples when MT performs at its basic level (simple substitution of words), and the theory behind (the translation process, linguistic rules etc.).

Lesson 5) Approaches: Rule-based, Statistical, Example-based

Lesson 6) Applications: SYSTRAN (powers Alta Vista's Babel Fish), the Google tool, Promt

Lesson 7) Evaluation of performance (through human judgement and through automated tools like BLEU, NIST, METEOR)

Lesson 8) CAT-tools, let the pupils do their own searches on the subject (other utilities for simplifying translations)

Lesson 9) Practices
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Membro (2002)
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Who is the audience? Jan 13, 2009

One fundamental question is who the audience is?
What is their background and where are they going in their careers?
Are they doing studies in linguistics or in computer science?
What is the purpose of this course? (Any other courses following it?)

The content would probably be different depending on the answers to these questions.

Oleksiy Markunin
Canada
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks for you remark Jan 13, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

One fundamental question is who the audience is?
What is their background and where are they going in their careers?
Are they doing studies in linguistics or in computer science?
What is the purpose of this course? (Any other courses following it?)

The content would probably be different depending on the answers to these questions.

Agreed, the question is awesome. My bad I didn't mention it in my post. The audience is 5 year students of the Translation Department at the University. Major - Translation Studies and English philology. The main purpose of the course is to show them that there are some methods to translate with the help of a PC: theory and practice. No follow-up courses.

Oleksiy Markunin
Canada
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks! Jan 13, 2009

Ulf Norlinger wrote:

Lesson 5) Approaches: Rule-based, Statistical, Example-based

Lesson 6) Applications: SYSTRAN (powers Alta Vista's Babel Fish), the Google tool, Promt

Lesson 7) Evaluation of performance (through human judgement and through automated tools like BLEU, NIST, METEOR)

Lesson 8) CAT-tools, let the pupils do their own searches on the subject (other utilities for simplifying translations)

Lesson 9) Practices

Thanks for you ideas. Looks really good. Are you familiar with this topic?
Your ideas can be really handy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation Course

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »