Sound track problem while subtitling in windows movie maker
Thread poster: dancingsnow
dancingsnow
dancingsnow
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 14, 2007

I didn't know there is actually a forum on subtitling! I should have asked the question here.
I have converted some VCD clips from DAT format to MPEG files and have imported them into the Windows Movie Maker to add subtitles. I need to transcribe the clips in Chinese and then translate and subtitle them in English. The only problem is that the clip has two sound tracks (Cantonese and Mandarin), which makes transcribing very difficult. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to delete the
... See more
I didn't know there is actually a forum on subtitling! I should have asked the question here.
I have converted some VCD clips from DAT format to MPEG files and have imported them into the Windows Movie Maker to add subtitles. I need to transcribe the clips in Chinese and then translate and subtitle them in English. The only problem is that the clip has two sound tracks (Cantonese and Mandarin), which makes transcribing very difficult. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to delete the Cantonese sound track? Or should I use a different software? Any reply will be most warmly appreciated.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:33
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Please be more precise :) Apr 15, 2007

Do you mean that Cantonese and Mandarin overlap each other, or that there are some segments spoken in Cantonese and others in Mandarin (i.e: not overlapping?)

Gianni

dancingsnow
dancingsnow
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Overlapping of sound tracks causing problem Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for your reply Gianni. Yes, there are 2 sound tracks overlapping each other. I couldn't hear any of them in Windows Movie Maker. I can choose to listen to one sound track only in Windows media player, which means that I have to listen to each sentence in media player, then switch to movie maker for subtitling.

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Do you mean that Cantonese and Mandarin overlap each other, or that there are some segments spoken in Cantonese and others in Mandarin (i.e: not overlapping?)

Gianni

dancingsnow
dancingsnow
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to the quesion May 18, 2007

Well, I actually have an answer for my own question now.

SoftNi can solve that problem. Adjust sound balance to 20 or below, it's Mandarin only; 40 or higher, Cantonese. A cool software SoftNi is!

GabLuz
GabLuz
Local time: 22:33
English to Portuguese
Ouch... Jun 29, 2007

Hi.
Sorry for my intervention.

My first subtitling experience was with Windows Movie Maker when I was just 14 years old. (I'm just a young man XD)

It is such a pain to do it with Movie Maker because it's very difficult to keep timing correct and it takes a LONG time to finish encoding video.

I suggest you use DivX Land Media Subtitler for subtitling and then VirtualDub (with Subtitle filter) to encoding the video.

See you.
(Sorry fo
... See more
Hi.
Sorry for my intervention.

My first subtitling experience was with Windows Movie Maker when I was just 14 years old. (I'm just a young man XD)

It is such a pain to do it with Movie Maker because it's very difficult to keep timing correct and it takes a LONG time to finish encoding video.

I suggest you use DivX Land Media Subtitler for subtitling and then VirtualDub (with Subtitle filter) to encoding the video.

See you.
(Sorry for any troubles).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sound track problem while subtitling in windows movie maker

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »