Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:48
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 15

What do you think about thie new AVT certification sponsored by some stakeholders from the media industry and OOONA? I am wondering about the cost-benefit of taking this test and would like to know my colleagues' opinions about it.

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:48
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
link Mar 15

Do you have a link to the certification?

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Mar 15

Yes. Here is the link: https://avtpro.ooona.net/the-avtpro-certifications/

Sabrina Martinez
Sabrina Martinez  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About AVTPro certification Mar 15

I think it's a positive initiative, despite the controversy going around.

Jorge Díaz-Cintas addresses the controversy here: https://www.ensincroniapodcast.com/1112315/14105242-episode-46-a-deep-dive-into-the-avtpro-initiative-with-jorge-diaz-cintas

AVTE also had a chance to express the A
... See more
I think it's a positive initiative, despite the controversy going around.

Jorge Díaz-Cintas addresses the controversy here: https://www.ensincroniapodcast.com/1112315/14105242-episode-46-a-deep-dive-into-the-avtpro-initiative-with-jorge-diaz-cintas

AVTE also had a chance to express the Association's point of view here: https://www.ensincroniapodcast.com/1112315/14209540-episode-46-special-avte-s-view-on-the-avtpro-certification-with-iris-c-permuy

The episodes are long, but very informative. I highly recommend listening to them.
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Mar 16

Think of it like ATA certification or ProZ.com Certified Pro Network. Its value mainly depends on your personal circumstances. We're all different. I support this initiative because subtitling is my bread and butter. But if you believe this is a complete waste of time and money, I won't try to change your mind. I'm getting too old for online debates.

[Edited at 2024-03-16 04:54 GMT]

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Links talking about the AVTpro Certification Mar 16

Hi Sabrina
Thank you for sharing the links. I'll listen and share my thoughts here.
I have some questions, such as how AVTpro will impact the broader AVT environment and its key stakeholders beyond those sponsoring the certification, for instance.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My Thoughts and Questions about AVTpro Certification Mar 16

After listening to both interviews, I was considering the pros and cons of this certificate.

Pros:

- It acts as a quality badge, eliminating the need for freelancers to take multiple tests to enter the market.
- It also could be a way for you to showcase your skills if it gains wide recognition.

Cons:

- Some sponsors are agencies with a poor reputation among translators due to their low rates and tight deadlines.
- Having private sp
... See more
After listening to both interviews, I was considering the pros and cons of this certificate.

Pros:

- It acts as a quality badge, eliminating the need for freelancers to take multiple tests to enter the market.
- It also could be a way for you to showcase your skills if it gains wide recognition.

Cons:

- Some sponsors are agencies with a poor reputation among translators due to their low rates and tight deadlines.
- Having private sponsors instead of universities and public stakeholders doesn't make the certification more financially accessible.
- The certification prioritizes agencies' interests over freelance professionals, who may still face the same low-rate, low-quality working conditions despite proving their value.

My current thoughts are:
While the certificate is somewhat expensive, and depending on the translator's currency, it could be rather costly,
it could prove valuable if it attracts the attention of better companies offering improved rates and working conditions.
However, its success depends on the recognition it gains over time.
As of now, none of the agencies I consider the best to work with are sponsors of this certification.
Collapse

Keith Jackson

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pool: Thoughts on the New AVT Certification

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »