Suggestions for an easy-to-use timeline creation tool?
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:49
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

I'm trying to create a timeline with stickers/notes that indicate important, and not so important, events. does anyone know a an easy tool that doesn't involve me getting down to the nitty-gritty of actually drawing every object (i.e. not Omnigraffle)?

Although this slightly relates to work, I've posted under "Off topic" as this is probably not everyone will need on a day-to-day basis.

Thinking about things, this was probably not the right forum. Maybe a moderator can m
... See more
I'm trying to create a timeline with stickers/notes that indicate important, and not so important, events. does anyone know a an easy tool that doesn't involve me getting down to the nitty-gritty of actually drawing every object (i.e. not Omnigraffle)?

Although this slightly relates to work, I've posted under "Off topic" as this is probably not everyone will need on a day-to-day basis.

Thinking about things, this was probably not the right forum. Maybe a moderator can move to "Translator resources" or similar.

Thanks in advance,
Madeleine

[Edited at 2010-06-01 19:39 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-01 22:33 GMT]
Collapse

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
Danish to English
ranking events Jun 1, 2010

Could you use an Excel spreadsheet, and use one of the columns to indicate importance, for example on a number scale that could then be sorted? But then you would lose your time input.
You could sort by time, and then by rank (or the other way). You could even embed a function that could combine time and importance, but I don't know for sure what you after.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:49
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Analog attitude Jun 1, 2010

I use a paper piece for each project... Clip on means unpaid yet.

Old papers go to archive. I have about 5 inches of a stack already going back into years...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Freemind might be an option Jun 1, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
I'm trying to create a timeline with stickers/notes that indicate important, and not so important, events. does anyone know a an easy tool that doesn't involve me getting down to the nitty-gritty of actually drawing every object.

Freemind is a mind mapper:
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/

MyInfo is an article manager:
http://www.milenix.com/

A free alternative to MyInfo is Treepad:
http://www.treepad.com/

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
German to English
Open Workbench Jun 1, 2010

Are you looking for something like Microsoft Project?
Here's an open source alternative:
http://www.openworkbench.org/

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:49
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas, but... Jun 1, 2010

Thanks Brian and Sergei, but...

I'm looking for something very simple to use which will create an easy to understand picture. I need to give someone a very quick view of a somewhat complex picture/situation. As the situation has been ongoing for a number of years, I figured a graphical representation would work best.

Samuel - Freemind might be possible, but it doesn't appear (at a first glance) to offer much more than Omnigraffle, which I own but haven't had time to re
... See more
Thanks Brian and Sergei, but...

I'm looking for something very simple to use which will create an easy to understand picture. I need to give someone a very quick view of a somewhat complex picture/situation. As the situation has been ongoing for a number of years, I figured a graphical representation would work best.

Samuel - Freemind might be possible, but it doesn't appear (at a first glance) to offer much more than Omnigraffle, which I own but haven't had time to really learn. Maybe now is the time to start learning...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for an easy-to-use timeline creation tool?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »