Thread poster: spanruss
spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 06:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2010

Just when I grew accustomed to converting PDFs to Word Documents using ABBYY PDF Converter, a new trend is hindering those efforts. Lately, several of the PDFs I've received have been protected from extraction by a password. As many of you know, we must have our files in an MS Word format in order to use our TM programs. I use Trados. Without it, my production speed is dramatically slower.

Is there any way around this password protection if clients are unwilling to provide, or do no
... See more
Just when I grew accustomed to converting PDFs to Word Documents using ABBYY PDF Converter, a new trend is hindering those efforts. Lately, several of the PDFs I've received have been protected from extraction by a password. As many of you know, we must have our files in an MS Word format in order to use our TM programs. I use Trados. Without it, my production speed is dramatically slower.

Is there any way around this password protection if clients are unwilling to provide, or do not know, a password?
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
German to Spanish
+ ...
Password-protected PDFs Apr 1, 2010

spanruss wrote:

Is there any way around this password protection if clients are unwilling to provide, or do not know, a password?

There are a lot of pdf password removers that work quite well:

http://www.google.es/search?q=pdf%20password%20remover&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&client=firefox-a

But, I would first take a thought about possible legal infringements doing this.

[Editado a las 2010-04-01 15:13 GMT]

spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 06:33
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gamble Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I would be dubious about using products like that from fly-by-night software companies on the web. Sounds like a gamble.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 07:33
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Workaround Apr 1, 2010

spanruss wrote:

If you don't want to hassle with the whole password-cracking process, you could always just print the entire PDF to another PDF file. If you don't want to do that, you could always use screen capture software like Snagit (www.techsmith.com) and capture each individual page and save them as .tif files and then feed them into ABBYY.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...

Reed D James wrote:

spanruss wrote:

If you don't want to hassle with the whole password-cracking process, you could always just print the entire PDF to another PDF file. If you don't want to do that, you could always use screen capture software like Snagit (www.techsmith.com) and capture each individual page and save them as .tif files and then feed them into ABBYY.

No doubt you are right with the workaround to avoid legal issues. But, if the pdfs are very large, it will go more expensive than the benefit he can get "snaging" them.

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
German to Lithuanian
Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro Apr 1, 2010

I had this issue several times.
Every time the pdf's were actually not password protected. The program said: "User password is empty so instant decryption is possible. Do you want to start the attack anyway?". Then I select "Decrypt now" and the pdf is not protected anymore!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Swedish to English
+ ...
How about asking your client to supply... Apr 1, 2010

... a pdf without password protection?

spanruss wrote:

Yeah, I would be dubious about using products like that from fly-by-night software companies on the web. Sounds like a gamble.

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:33
Danish to English
password protected pdf Apr 1, 2010

My experience is that you cannot copy and paste from a password protected PDF. I have tried and failed. I have often protected PDF,s in this way, and although there are probably some work arounds, it would be better to ask your client to send an unprotected file. They might have done that accidently, or were not even aware that it was password protected. Or, they might have some reason to have protected the file, though that sounds strange if they want you to read and translate it. That would be... See more
My experience is that you cannot copy and paste from a password protected PDF. I have tried and failed. I have often protected PDF,s in this way, and although there are probably some work arounds, it would be better to ask your client to send an unprotected file. They might have done that accidently, or were not even aware that it was password protected. Or, they might have some reason to have protected the file, though that sounds strange if they want you to read and translate it. That would be like going to the doctor, but refusing to drop your pants for an examination.
The file could even be locked for printing, at least that can be done. You can always just read and translate, the old fashioned way, but I agree that it is nice to have a text file you can work in.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 23:34 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

... a pdf without password protection?

spanruss wrote:

Hi Madeleine: If clients are unwilling to provide, or do not know, a password? (quoted from spanruss first posting)

I believe that the first thing spanruss made, was to ask the client for an unprotected pdf file and that the problem is that the client is unwilling to give him an unprotected pdf file, saying he does not know the password. Or did I not understand at all was spanruss was asking for?

By the way, when I have such cases (very rare cases, I reconn) I use a password remover without any dubt. If they call me, asking for the new password, I answer exactly what they said to me: I am sorry, I do not know anything about your password/s...

Since they lied to me first, they usually do not dare to argue with me. Ethical? Obviuosly not. But, it is equally unethical as to involve unnecessarily translators life...

[Editado a las 2010-04-02 14:51 GMT]

sharkira (X)
sharkira (X)
Password-protected PDF Apr 2, 2010

spanruss wrote:

If you have the right to remove the password,there are many password remover can do this.
pdf have two types password.one is open password. another is edit/print password which can prevent from copying,editing,printing.

If you want to remove open password,you can use PDF Password Recovery 5.0 at
http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/products/pdfpasswordrecovery.html

If you want to remove pdf restriction password ,you can use advanced pdf password remover at http://www.advancedpdfconverter.com/products/pdfpasswordremover.html

I have tried all thise program,they work quite well.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
German to English
+ ...
They are hindering your work Apr 2, 2010

spanruss wrote:

I would be very tempted to reply to the client "You are preventing me from using my translation tools to do this work. Therefore, either you must enable me to extract the text from this PDF file or I can only do the job at 30% extra time and cost and with poorer quality."

Oliver

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Password-protected PDFs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »