Pavle Perencevic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
Serbian to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2008

The following email has just arrived in my Inbox:

"I am contacting your company because I have been working as a freelance translator for nearly five years and would like to offer my services to additional translation agencies.

I translate from French into English and also provide proofreading and editing services.

Do you require translators to complete an application form? Do you require tests or samples? What range of rates do you typically pay?
... See more
The following email has just arrived in my Inbox:

"I am contacting your company because I have been working as a freelance translator for nearly five years and would like to offer my services to additional translation agencies.

I translate from French into English and also provide proofreading and editing services.

Do you require translators to complete an application form? Do you require tests or samples? What range of rates do you typically pay?

Colleagues of mine may also want to offer their services to your agency. What other languages do you require.

Please let me know if you would like to me send my curriculum vitae.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

XXXXXX YYYYYYY
French - English Freelance Translator
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
E-mail [email protected]"

I've checked the email address on several email checking sites. It is not a valid deliverable address. At the time I got this email, there was only one Google hit for this name - and it also seemed to be related to some sort of scam. It goes without saying that this "curriculum vitae" is not one you would want to have on your hard disk.

[Edited at 2008-08-09 19:04]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-10 13:08]
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
With Google... Aug 9, 2008

...I found 2 hits with "Adriana Lesova", looks like a virus.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="adriana%20lesova"&btnG=Google%20Search

Thanks for the info
Giusi

[Edited at 2008-08-09 08:04]

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 21:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
I got the same e-mail Aug 9, 2008

I received the very same e-mail and simply trashed it as spam. The discussion on the thread that comes up when this person's name is Googled is very interesting (it hadn't occurred to me to do that). Anyway, I don't know if there's a scam or other nasty business involved, but at the very least there's some harvesting of e-mail addresses going on, maybe from Yahoo groups? (The e-mail I got came to my Yahoo address, which is one I use for Yahoo groups and little else.)

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I believe it was sent to me, too Aug 9, 2008

However, I have Kaspersky set to present all e-mails for review prior to download, and I happened not be interested in receiving any CVs from translators this morning, so requested it to be deleted instead of downloaded.

Astrid

P.S. I often do accept unsolicited translator CVs, provided the language pairs are of relevance, but only if they arrive at my business e-mail address, at which I get no spam. This arrived at my mass e-mail address.

[Edited at 2008-08-09 0
... See more
However, I have Kaspersky set to present all e-mails for review prior to download, and I happened not be interested in receiving any CVs from translators this morning, so requested it to be deleted instead of downloaded.

Astrid

P.S. I often do accept unsolicited translator CVs, provided the language pairs are of relevance, but only if they arrive at my business e-mail address, at which I get no spam. This arrived at my mass e-mail address.

[Edited at 2008-08-09 08:56]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Received here too Aug 9, 2008

Thanks for the warning

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I got it too, but... Aug 9, 2008

I am contacting your company...

I'm not a company, but okay, some people make that mistake because I run a "business" therefore they prefer to address me as a "company".

... because I would like to offer my services to additional translation agencies.

I'm not an agency. There's a marvelous little button on my keyboard labelled "Del". My finger hovers over it.

I translate from French into English...

Yay!! Into the round file!!

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
got it too Aug 9, 2008

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I received the very same e-mail and simply trashed it as spam. The discussion on the thread that comes up when this person's name is Googled is very interesting (it hadn't occurred to me to do that). Anyway, I don't know if there's a scam or other nasty business involved, but at the very least there's some harvesting of e-mail addresses going on, maybe from Yahoo groups? (The e-mail I got came to my Yahoo address, which is one I use for Yahoo groups and little else.)

I received it too and also to an address I only use for Internet discussion groups such as Yahoo. No attachment or virus in it though.

Christine

[Edited at 2008-08-09 10:55]

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Got it, too Aug 10, 2008

Interestingly enough I received three different email addresses with it:

The original message was - allegdedly - sent from [email protected].
Then I received a correction of the email adress stating that [email protected] was the correct email adress. However, that message had a reply-to adr
... See more
Interestingly enough I received three different email addresses with it:

The original message was - allegdedly - sent from [email protected].
Then I received a correction of the email adress stating that [email protected] was the correct email adress. However, that message had a reply-to adress of [email protected].

[Bearbeitet am 2008-08-18 18:40]
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
No visible names/email addresses, please Aug 10, 2008

I have asked the original poster not to show this person's email address, nor her name.
While in all likeliness this is indeed a scam/spam/trojan/whatever, we still don't know if this is a fake name or a real person.
In the latter case it could be a) a person whose name has been used without her knowledge b) a person whose computer has been infected c) anything else that I'm not thinking about.

Moreover, if this is indeed a threat of any kind, the name will be different
... See more
I have asked the original poster not to show this person's email address, nor her name.
While in all likeliness this is indeed a scam/spam/trojan/whatever, we still don't know if this is a fake name or a real person.
In the latter case it could be a) a person whose name has been used without her knowledge b) a person whose computer has been infected c) anything else that I'm not thinking about.

Moreover, if this is indeed a threat of any kind, the name will be different next time - so the main point is to be careful with this particular kind of message, not to spot the name.

Thank you for warning the community.

Florence
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 00:41
Never open an email with an attachment from an unknown person Aug 10, 2008

As a point of general prudence, any email from an unknown person containing an attachment should never be opened. Attachments are known to harbor viruses.

Even emails from known persons can originate from spoofers pretending to be that person.

This is the reason why freelancers who write to translation agencies should include their CV inline within the body of the mail message itself and not as an attachment.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments... Aug 10, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:
As a point of general prudence, any email from an unknown person containing an attachment should never be opened. Attachments are known to harbor viruses.

The attachment can only harm you if you also open the attachment. If you open only the mail, but not the attachment, the attachment can't harm you.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
German to English
Got a second e-mail with a corrected e-mail address Aug 10, 2008

Not too impressive

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:11
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I got both too Aug 10, 2008

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Not too impressive

I got the original message followed by the "corrected" email address too. Haven't replied to either - even if it were genuine, I don't outsource work in any case.
Regards,
Jenny

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
I don't get it Aug 10, 2008

If the quoted email is a scam - what is the scam? As I understand it, the only problem was that the email was incorrect? No one tried to get steal any money or similar?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam warning! - apparently from a translation job applicant

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »