Who do I report an abuse to?
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:16
Spanish to English
May 7, 2015

I got a job from a client who contacted me through Proz. Stupidly forgot to ask for a 50% advance payment and of course said client hasn't paid me or any of the other translators who worked on this project before Christmas.

Yesterday he sent me an offer to pay me 30% of what he owes me in exchange for signing a quitclaim and changing my comment on Blue Board.

Is there anyone in Proz to whom I can forward this email for steps to be taken? The email and quitclaim are in S
... See more
I got a job from a client who contacted me through Proz. Stupidly forgot to ask for a 50% advance payment and of course said client hasn't paid me or any of the other translators who worked on this project before Christmas.

Yesterday he sent me an offer to pay me 30% of what he owes me in exchange for signing a quitclaim and changing my comment on Blue Board.

Is there anyone in Proz to whom I can forward this email for steps to be taken? The email and quitclaim are in Spanish.
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:16
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please submit a support request May 7, 2015

Dear Lesley,

You can submit a support request to contact site staff and report any situation of abuse or ask a question. You can attach the emails to the support request. Hope this explains.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Support ticket May 7, 2015

As Alejandro says. Spanish will be no problem as the HO is in Argentina.

But I'm surprised you say 'of course' you haven't been paid. I believe non-payment is actually rare, and advance payment in B2B transactions is also rare. We hear little of the good payers but I'm sure they account for the vast majority.

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2015

Thanks Alejandro and you are so right Sheila.

This is only the second time in fifteen years of work that this has happened to me, which is why I totally forgot about being careful.

Sid Ralph (X)
Sid Ralph (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunately .... May 8, 2015

This type of behaviour is used by some outsourcers. They fail to pay invoices, answer calls, emails and then they are outraged and try to use the post removal from the blueboard as a condition for the payment.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
... May 8, 2015

Sid Ralph wrote:

..... and try to use the post removal from the blueboard as a condition for the payment.

....yes, which of course misleads other future users of the Blue Board.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:16
English to French
Evidence? May 8, 2015

Lesley Clarke wrote:

If all this is confirmed and all means have already been tried to reach a mutually acceptable solution, I'd allow the culprit's name to be publicly stated for this dishonest, unreliable, blackmailing, mediocre and borderline-criminal behaviour. I hear that feathers and tar are outdated and environmentally unfriendly.

Having cashflow problems is one thing, blackmailing and threats are quite another.

This kind of people have nothing to do here.

Philippe

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
With May 8, 2015

Tom and Phillipe!

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 8, 2015

It is good and important to know that the Blueboard hurts so much

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it does hurt. May 8, 2015

I once managed to extract payment from someone who'd been giving me the runaround for nearly a year. Afterwards, he said: "I only paid you because I thought you were going to change your rating on BlueBoard, and you haven't." I said: "Why should I? You've taken all this time to pay me, you've told me a string of lies, and I want other translators to know about you."

If a business is getting bad online ratings, there's only one thing they can do: put the past behind them, and concent
... See more
I once managed to extract payment from someone who'd been giving me the runaround for nearly a year. Afterwards, he said: "I only paid you because I thought you were going to change your rating on BlueBoard, and you haven't." I said: "Why should I? You've taken all this time to pay me, you've told me a string of lies, and I want other translators to know about you."

If a business is getting bad online ratings, there's only one thing they can do: put the past behind them, and concentrate on getting good ones.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who do I report an abuse to?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »