Why do I receive daily applications from other freelancers?
Thread poster: Ingvild Østensen
Ingvild Østensen
Ingvild Østensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:49
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2012

I am a registered freelancer with Proz. Lately I have been receiving more and more applications from other freelancers of all language combinations, all following, it seems, two or three standard templates with CV attached.
Some of them refer to "my posting at the Proz website". Today I have received 18 (!) of these.
Why do I keep receiving these, as I am registered as a freelancer?
Please help, this is very annoying. I could handle one or two per day, but this is getting too
... See more
I am a registered freelancer with Proz. Lately I have been receiving more and more applications from other freelancers of all language combinations, all following, it seems, two or three standard templates with CV attached.
Some of them refer to "my posting at the Proz website". Today I have received 18 (!) of these.
Why do I keep receiving these, as I am registered as a freelancer?
Please help, this is very annoying. I could handle one or two per day, but this is getting too much. A bug in the system?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:49
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Be careful! Sep 22, 2012

Hi Ingvild,

Please be very careful with these messages! Please take a look at this thread in the Scams forum:
http://www.proz.com/topic/227212 (as well as many other recent threads in it).

Also, subscribe to the scam alerts -
... See more
Hi Ingvild,

Please be very careful with these messages! Please take a look at this thread in the Scams forum:
http://www.proz.com/topic/227212 (as well as many other recent threads in it).

Also, subscribe to the scam alerts - you can do this here:
http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

What about the messages themselves: if you receive them through ProZ.com from not logged-in users, you can allow only logged-in users to send you messages through your profile. To do this,
please go to http://www.proz.com/?sp=profile&eid_s=10467&sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=ef
and tick the "Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile" option.

Also, it would be very useful if you could forward at least some of these scam applications to the site staff by submitting a support ticket.

Natalia
Collapse

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 13:49
English to Urdu
+ ...
You are not the only one! Sep 23, 2012

Hello Ingvild,

You are not the only one receiving these applications. I am (and I suspect that many Proz members are) also receiving similar mails. I receive about half a dozen of them in a week/10 days. I am surprised that if these mails are not sent through Proz, how the senders are getting our email addresses and know that we are translators.

I delete them immediately without reading as soon as I see them.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Sep 23, 2012

At the begining, I suspected they confused my domain name with the domain name of a translation agency (both include the words "idea" and "translation"). When I asked one of the colleagues who was submitting me his CV where did he get my email address, he replied "from Proz.com". Weird reply, as he was writing to my email account not related to proz.

I have browsed a couple of translators. I've found out that one of them, Paul Jacky
... See more
At the begining, I suspected they confused my domain name with the domain name of a translation agency (both include the words "idea" and "translation"). When I asked one of the colleagues who was submitting me his CV where did he get my email address, he replied "from Proz.com". Weird reply, as he was writing to my email account not related to proz.

I have browsed a couple of translators. I've found out that one of them, Paul Jacky seems to be a spammer by IP Address Inspector (http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_209.85.214.170)
Subject: English into French Translator application.

Another translator, using s83-49-86.sfi.paltel.net seems to be kicated in Palestina.

All of their emails now go directly to the spam folder!

Regards
Clarisa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I receive daily applications from other freelancers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »