Initiator des Themas: ProZ.com Staff
Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 01:27
Mitglied
Englisch > Französisch
idioms and expressions Oct 24, 2007

such as "a can short of a six-can pack" or "happy as a clam at high tide".
Some English expressions just make me laugh!
Philippe

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 19:27
Mitglied (2005)
Spanisch > Englisch
The Golden Age of Spain Oct 24, 2007

There are many things that fascinate me about Spanish. For one thing, meaning is often diffused throughout long and intricate sentences as opposed to the shorter, choppier Anglo-Saxon form of expression. I find this gives Spanish a dreamy, elusive quality.

I feel privileged to have learned this language and to have allowed it to pervade my thoughts and enhance my view of the world.

Out of the many books in Spanish that I have had the pleasure of reading, Don Quijote
... See more
There are many things that fascinate me about Spanish. For one thing, meaning is often diffused throughout long and intricate sentences as opposed to the shorter, choppier Anglo-Saxon form of expression. I find this gives Spanish a dreamy, elusive quality.

I feel privileged to have learned this language and to have allowed it to pervade my thoughts and enhance my view of the world.

Out of the many books in Spanish that I have had the pleasure of reading, Don Quijote de la Mancha is one that will stay in my mind and heart forever. Reading it has helped me understand the inner workings of the Spanish language as well as many cultural aspects.

If I did not have to work, I would definitely devote hour upon hour reading Cervantes' works as well as other great novels, plays and poetry from the Golden Age of Spain.

If I did so, perhaps my brain would dry out as did Alonso Quijano's.
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spanien
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Languages *can* be loved/liked Oct 24, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

I don't actually like any language. Including my mother tongue, English!

Languages aren't there to be "liked". They're there to be used - goodly or badly - as a conveyor of information.

MediaMatrix

I think obviously languages *can* be loved or liked, because of many subjective reasons. For instance, my second foreign language, French, is one I chose to learn because I love/like "the sound of it" (especially because of many French songs), plus I like the literature and the culture related to the French language.

But I first "fell in love" with English, when I was about 6 years old (long story), also because of the way it "sounded".

About my third foreign language, German, I am still in the process of learning it, as complex as it is, though every day I seem to find a new reason to *love/like* it, in spite of its complexity.

The thing is, none of my foreign languages "beat" my love for Spanish, my mother tongue, which to me is one of the most beautiful languages in the world.

Saludos,

Ivette

nocciola
nocciola  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Englisch
+ ...
A translator should like his/her job! or am I too emotional about languages? Oct 24, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

I don't actually like any language. Including my mother tongue, English!

Languages aren't there to be "liked". They're there to be used - goodly or badly - as a conveyor of information.

MediaMatrix

I find it sad that someone who doesn't like languages is working as a translator.

I have to say I voted "usefulness" for my current second language, German. In fact it is my least-loved language among those I've learned/am learning. But I love my other foreign languages for their literature, development, reflection of culture, pronunciation - I can't number all the reasons.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What I like most about my second language is / are its

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »