Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever participated in a ProZ.com tv event?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 27

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever participated in a ProZ.com tv event?".

View the poll results »

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 10:41
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 27

I didn't know there were ProZ.com TV events until now, but my non-existent interest in participating in industry events is lowered even further if those events are broadcast.

Iulia Parvu
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liena Vijupe
Kay Denney
Elaine Ruby
Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'd like to see. Mar 27

I might be interested, but I want to see an example of a previous event of this kind. I didn't know that there were any such events on TV.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Explanation Mar 27

ProZ TV is not real TV, it’s just webinars/videos/youtube.

The last event, the ProZ AI Expo, was a day of people explaining how AI is essential for translators.

Yesterday’s announcement of the winners of a handful of pairs in the latest translation contest might also count as TV.

This inability even to make its own members aware of what ProZ offers must say something about its ability to promote translation in the wider world…

Alex Lichanow
Patricia Prevost
Aurélien ARPAZ
Lieven Malaise
Zea_Mays
neilmac

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
participated or attended? Mar 27

From my sense of language, moderators/speakers participate (actively), and viewers attend (passively).

expressisverbis
Thayenga

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
No... Mar 27

... and I would only consider it when hell freezes over.

I'm allergic to everything business-related but not necessary for one's business (all sorts of business coaches and the like included. As far as I'm concerned they are all parasites selling hot air).

Besides that I'm constantly striving to be more efficient. Watching videos and (the horror) attending seminars is completely the opposite.

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
neilmac
Alex Lichanow
Elaine Ruby
Ester Vidal
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Mar 27

Zea_Mays wrote:

From my sense of language, moderators/speakers participate (actively), and viewers attend (passively).

You are right. This is once more an ambiguous question. Well, it's actually clear, but given the history of badly formulated questions chances are high that "attending" is the more appropriate verb here.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I did Mar 27

There is a presentation of mine of 2020 with interview in Proz.com TV, in English with my strong Italian accent.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not exactly Mar 27

Zea_Mays wrote:

When I did my presentation I was not a moderator. If you check presentations and name of mods you can have your proof.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
what makes more sense? Mar 27

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

You are right. This is once more an ambiguous question. Well, it's actually clear, but given the history of badly formulated questions chances are high that "attending" is the more appropriate verb here.

I'm actually not sure how to read the question, but from a logical point of view, only "participate" would make sense, as who cares if we attended/watched an event?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:41
SITE STAFF
Online events to share knowledge that started about 15 years ago Mar 27

The ProZ/TV area grew out of the annual virtual conferences to celebrate International Translation Day, which started on ProZ.com about 15 years ago. They are online events, big and small, a chance for people to share knowledge, experience, approaches, on a variety of topics, which are broadcast from ProZ.com, open to everyone (though the recordings are usually made available only to paying members). If you are attending one, your level of participation is up to you. There are usually lively dis... See more
The ProZ/TV area grew out of the annual virtual conferences to celebrate International Translation Day, which started on ProZ.com about 15 years ago. They are online events, big and small, a chance for people to share knowledge, experience, approaches, on a variety of topics, which are broadcast from ProZ.com, open to everyone (though the recordings are usually made available only to paying members). If you are attending one, your level of participation is up to you. There are usually lively discussions, Question and answer sessions, and networking meetups before and/or after the events. ProZ/TV can be found in the site menu under "Member activities"--> "Online and offline events". If I remember correctly, the AI expo was attended by a bit over 4,000 people. You can see upcoming and past events there, https://www.proz.com/tv .

If you are not interested, of course, do not, under any circumstances, follow that link.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
OK, "attended" is meant Mar 27

Jared Tabor wrote:

If you are attending one, your level of participation is up to you.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Spliting hairs Mar 27

I really do not understand this habit of spliting hairs, it is annoying, ok English is not my native language but... If I attend I am taking part (participate). Or am I wrong?

Jared Tabor
Christopher Schröder
Elaine Ruby
Philip Lees

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
there's a difference Mar 27

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I really do not understand this habit of spliting hairs, it is annoying, ok English is not my native language but... If I attend I am taking part (participate). Or am I wrong?

In English, the two terms have different meanings - participating expresses active involvement (which I would not count polls among), while attending means a passive presence, like watching TV (...).

>> I attended some ProZ events, where in some cases I partecipated in Q&A sessions.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-03-27 15:37 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ffs Mar 27

Zea_Mays wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

In English, the two terms have different meanings - participating expresses active involvement (which I would not count polls among), while attending means a passive presence, like watching TV (...).

>> I attended some ProZ events, where in some cases I partecipated in Q&A sessions.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-03-27 15:37 GMT]

Agree with Angie. This is very much splitting hairs, and most of these polls are written by non-natives anyway, so common sense needs to be applied.

Jared Tabor
Christel Zipfel
Elaine Ruby
Philip Lees
Alex Lichanow

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever participated in a ProZ.com tv event?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »