Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has the war in Ukraine affected your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not only literature Feb 26

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:
by appreciating its literature we gain insights into its culture as a whole.

I've just been reading some of the political essays of Alexander Herzen, one of the great Russian thinkers. Russia is also very important in architecture, graphic design, etc.

In the period immediately following the 1917 Revolution, the Constructivists did wonderful things that are still very influential today.

https://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/architecture/constructivist_architecture/constructivist_architecture.php

Russian culture is part of European culture. Unfortunately they've had too many tyrannical leaders.

[Edited at 2024-02-26 16:54 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Robert Rietvelt
Wilsonn Perez Reyes
ipv
Gennady Lapardin
Christine Andersen

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:01
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No, not for this reason Feb 26

Zea_Mays wrote:

The war led to a huge increase of energy costs, which led to inflation because of increasing prices of goods which led to people buying less products which led to firms to find ways to save money that included not immediately needed translations...... But most of all, inflation means higher costs, so even if you have the same work volume than before, you are actually earning less because of higher costs and would need to work more in order to compensate this.
Germany is in recession for this reason.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-26 09:11 GMT]

The so-called recession has many reasons and first of all it is only a very slight recession, compared to other countries, which may be better off for demographic reasons. This means that the "crisis" is whining on a high level. Germans are not "forced to gather firewood in the forests", as I could read here on proz last year. The top reason still is the reverse job crisis with almost 700,000 vacancies (source: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/2900/umfrage/entwicklung-des-gemeldeten-offenen-arbeitsstellenbestands/). German translators do not suffer (although no one of them would admit it here in the public) by fewer jobs because of the high inflation but by the effects AI causes.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-26 19:58 GMT]

ipv

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:01
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Football club Dynamo Kyiv is affected Feb 26

Dynamo Kyiv slipped to fifth place in the Ukrainian football Premier League

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Yes, but not in the way you mean Feb 27

Leaving aside the recession, one of my clients has commissioned quite a few translations for the influx of Ukrainian refugees - not just into Ukrainian but also into English. I'd prefer to have not gotten the money and for Ukraine have been spared from war, but if you're asking how it has affected my business, I have benefitted from it indirectly.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
culture Feb 27

Nobody is saying that literature and culture is bad, just that for many people it causes grief at this time. Most of them know that the great writers and thinkers of the past or even the language itself has nothing to do with what is happening now, it's just too hard to enjoy it in the current circumstances because of what it represents.
And that is what makes it particularly sad – there is so much of true greatness in the past, and yet one insane person with his servants and followers w
... See more
Nobody is saying that literature and culture is bad, just that for many people it causes grief at this time. Most of them know that the great writers and thinkers of the past or even the language itself has nothing to do with what is happening now, it's just too hard to enjoy it in the current circumstances because of what it represents.
And that is what makes it particularly sad – there is so much of true greatness in the past, and yet one insane person with his servants and followers wants to bring back the worst from it.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Kay Denney

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
inflation Feb 27

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

The war led to a huge increase of energy costs, which led to inflation because of increasing prices of goods which led to people buying less products which led to firms to find ways to save money that included not immediately needed translations...... But most of all, inflation means higher costs, so even if you have the same work volume than before, you are actually earning less because of higher costs and would need to work more in order to compensate this.
Germany is in recession for this reason.

The so-called recession has many reasons and first of all it is only a very slight recession, compared to other countries, which may be better off for demographic reasons. This means that the "crisis" is whining on a high level. Germans are not "forced to gather firewood in the forests", as I could read here on proz last year. The top reason still is the reverse job crisis with almost 700,000 vacancies (source: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/2900/umfrage/entwicklung-des-gemeldeten-offenen-arbeitsstellenbestands/). German translators do not suffer (although no one of them would admit it here in the public) by fewer jobs because of the high inflation but by the effects AI causes.

This may be one of the reasons (others say it is because of the many many sick people...), but currently the main factor is inflation caused by high energy costs. It is slowly decreasing, but since consumer prices have not been reduced as well, the inflation is actually still high, just adding on what was there before.
https://www.fr.de/wirtschaft/euro-verlust-energiepreis-energie-gazprom-deutsche-wirtschaft-ukraine-krieg-200-milliarden-zr-92847667.html

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
By still working for Russia... Feb 27

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes, my three Russian clients are now getting free work from me because they can't pay me. It's a goodwill investment in the future.

... don't you worry that you are helping to fund the war?

Liena Vijupe
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Funding Feb 27

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes, my three Russian clients are now getting free work from me because they can't pay me. It's a goodwill investment in the future.

... don't you worry that you are helping to fund the war?

Everybody's funding the war - on both sides. Fortunes are being made. This is what wars are for!

[Edited at 2024-02-27 12:09 GMT]

Evgeny Sidorenko
P.L.F. Persio
Gennady Lapardin
Vladimir Filipenko

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christopher Feb 27

Samuel Murray wrote:

By still working for Russia, don't you worry that you are helping to fund the war?

My country's government is already funding the war. (-:

Besides, my Russian clients have nothing to do with the war. They are separate people with separate opinions, political views and personal beliefs. By the same token, I'm not supporting the ethnic cleansing in Gaza simply by continuing to work with Israeli agencies. People who work at agencies are individual people who are separate from political campaigns run by their governments. Similarly, I would not discriminate against Ukrainian agencies just because they have a government that runs a linguistic and cultural cleansing campaign against non-Ukrainian speakers in Ukraine. I respectfully disagree with, but have sympathy for, people who suffer from "one country = one language" ideology.

[Edited at 2024-02-27 12:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Vladimir Filipenko

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Catch-22 Feb 27

Tom in London wrote:

Everybody's funding the war - on both sides. Fortunes are being made. This is what wars are for!

[Edited at 2024-02-27 12:09 GMT]

Everybody has a share (What's good for Milo Minderbinder, is good for the country).

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
. Feb 27

Tom in London wrote:

wishy washy

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sanctions Feb 27

Samuel Murray wrote:
My country's government is already funding the war.

Mine too… I get that individual Russians might not be in favour of the war, but I was thinking more of undermining or breaching international economic sanctions by continuing to trade.

P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christopher Feb 27

I was thinking more of undermining or breaching international economic sanctions by continuing to trade.

None of the agencies that I work with are sanctioned.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
just call it volunteering Feb 27

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can already imagine the Russians telling it each other as a good joke. Слушай, Федя, этому даже деньги не нужны, давай найдём для него ещё что-нибудь...
Maybe your clients truly are just poor souls who also have no issue with using somebody's work for free, but "goodwill investment" doesn't translate into Russian, at least not the way you mean it.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

daniel gwire
daniel gwire  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 04:01
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Devastation Feb 28

From January to March 2022 I was getting daily work from a particular agency. There was so much work I sometimes struggled to handle the volume, but it felt great to be earning so much. When Russia invaded Ukraine the work continued to come in until March when everything stopped. Literally. No more work came in from that agency and everything else dried up as well. 2022 was a devastating year for me. This continued through most of 2023. Things started to change last September but ended in mid-De... See more
From January to March 2022 I was getting daily work from a particular agency. There was so much work I sometimes struggled to handle the volume, but it felt great to be earning so much. When Russia invaded Ukraine the work continued to come in until March when everything stopped. Literally. No more work came in from that agency and everything else dried up as well. 2022 was a devastating year for me. This continued through most of 2023. Things started to change last September but ended in mid-December. Since then I've been struggling to get work again. This year has been a disaster so far.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has the war in Ukraine affected your work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »