Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dreaming of St Petersburg Aug 4, 2022

I have been dreaming of visiting St Petersburg during the White Nights period (June-July) but for the time being I’m afraid it will stay a dream because of you know who…

white-nights-spb-560

P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Kay Denney

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:02
English to Turkish
Best to stay put Aug 4, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:
So I should take my wife and my daughter on a 609-km trip so that we can apply for a visa, for which I should also produce tens of documents, from bank statements to tax chart and so on, with the hope that they might consider us worthy of a touristic trip to Italy. That's very humiliating. So I have never been to Italy, and it seems never will I.

Going through all that trouble for a lousy 4 day trip where you'll likely get robbed paying touristy prices everywhere you visit.. Just use Google earth..

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Red tape Aug 4, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:
I have my Turkish passport but it doesn't have much power. I am not the kind who loves traveling, especially abroad. But I wish I could see Italy. I've been translating from Italian for years, yet I am not able to go there.

The Italian embassy has delegated the visa applications process to private companies, which collect the application documents and finger-prints on behalf of the embassy. And they require the applications to be made in person. They have offices in some major cities in Turkey, but not in Adana, where I live. Their closest office is 233 kms from here. But they designated my city to be under the responsibility of another regional office in Antalya, and that's 609 kms from here. So I should take my wife and my daughter on a 609-km trip so that we can apply for a visa, for which I should also produce tens of documents, from bank statements to tax chart and so on, with the hope that they might consider us worthy of a touristic trip to Italy. That's very humiliating. So I have never been to Italy, and it seems never will I.

Wow. And I thought we had it bad after Brexit. I hope one day you get to go. I love visiting Italy. The views, the buildings, the food...

expressisverbis
Liena Vijupe
Kay Denney
Michele Fauble
Rachel Fell

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:02
Member (2006)
German to English
Wow Aug 4, 2022

Barbara Faltas wrote:

I issued one, but my family didn't permit me to travel abroad.I respect their worries and concerns and stayed in Egypt.
I didn't renew it when it expired.

"but my family didn't permit me to travel abroad" - really?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Google Earth Aug 4, 2022

Barbara Cochran, MFA wrote:

...., I don't want to have to put up with all the hassles involved in international airline travel anymore.

I agree about the airports. As a one-time busy business traveller I can't abide the kind of people who fill up the flights now.

Thanks to Google Earth I now criss-cross the world without even getting off my ***.

Just yesterday I found the actual house in the actual street in (believe it or not) Butte, Montana where an old acquaintance of mine ended up. I then (virtually) drove all over the city, learning about its wide-open hard drinkin' loose livin' past, as I looked at how a once-coherent urban fabric has been reduced to empty lots with a few "heritage buildings" left to stand forlornly by themselves, divested of their context.

Like a few others I also have 2 passports: British and Irish. But I may never use either of them again. After a life of running around hustling for a living, I'm now a stay-at-home person.

[Edited at 2022-08-04 08:40 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Herd instinct Aug 4, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
As a one-time busy business traveller I can't abide the kind of people who fill up the flights now.

Thanks to Google Earth I now criss-cross the world without even getting off my ***.

Your ass? I rode into an airport once on a donkey. As we were both wearing football shirts and singing loudly, they upgraded us to business class, which was full of asses as usual.

Kay Denney

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 4, 2022

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I have 2 passports.

I have three!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Unless you're an International Woman of Mystery... Aug 4, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
I have three!

... that's just showing off!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Well Aug 4, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:
So I should take my wife and my daughter on a 609-km trip so that we can apply for a visa, for which I should also produce tens of documents, from bank statements to tax chart and so on, with the hope that they might consider us worthy of a touristic trip to Italy. That's very humiliating. So I have never been to Italy, and it seems never will I.

Going through all that trouble for a lousy 4 day trip where you'll likely get robbed paying touristy prices everywhere you visit.. Just use Google earth..

As an Italian citizen I can assure you that Italy is overrated regarding its beauty ok, this is true BUT............ I can also assure you that "you'll likely get robbed" is a bit exaggerated.
Also I know for sure that citizens of many, many countries can come (go) to Italy without a visa, not sure about Turkey, I am going to do some researches.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Metin Demirel

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
for Italy Aug 4, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
Wow. And I thought we had it bad after Brexit. I hope one day you get to go. I love visiting Italy. The views, the buildings, the food...

You (Ice Cream) just need a passport, like me for UK. This is Brexit

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Visas Aug 4, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Also I know for sure that citizens of many, many countries can come (go) to Italy without a visa, not sure about Turkey, I am going to do some researches.

If you hold a Turkish passport, you need to have shit loads of money in the bank to convince the EU officials that you'll not go and seek asylum in their precious countries. That's why they require a lot of procedures and formalities.
AFIK Brazil, S. Africa and Ukraine don't require a visa for Turkish citizens. I'm sure a good number of middle aged Turkish men were devastated by the war in Ukraine, which must spoil their 'holidays' in Odessa (playground closed). I'm quite interested in the colonial history of S. Africa, but wouldn't want to travel there (dangerous country). But I'd be very much interested to check out Brazil to see if it is as bad as a certain economic crisis sufferer here makes it out to be..

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
no mystery Aug 4, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Unless you're an International Woman of Mystery...

My wife has been a citizen to 3 countries so far, but she's holding two passports currently. So I know it doesn't require an element of mystery

Christopher Schröder

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Not the usual tourist per se Aug 4, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I've never been a tourist. I've been to a few countries on business and have seen some interesting things, but that's not what I am seeking. I know that most tourists look for comfortable challenges supposedly outside their comfort zones with a change of scenery and are willing to pay a little more than usual for simple things. I stick to my daily routines and can't function well outside my comfort zone, which is very comfortable to an extent that I'd fight to stay inside rather than being dragged out of it.

So my desire to see Italy is not a common bucket list item or another travel destination idea for the next year's vacation. I would like to pay homage to the culture with which I am making a living, to engage in non-work-related conversations, and maybe to push my limits to converse, with native speakers, who might lean towards Romanesco or Napoletano in their usually untinctured parlances.

I like staying put where I am at all times, even in the hottest time of the year here in Adana where we are known for suffering the extreme heats in the country. I moved here four years ago and I left the city only 3 times so far and only for short durations. I really hate not being at home. But I would go through the trouble of paying touristy prices to see Italy. Yet I can't drag my family on a 600-km trip only to be assessed and turn back home to wait to be notified if we could be bestowed upon with the glad tidings for a holy pass.

Jean Dimitriadis
Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino
Baran Keki
Tom in London

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Speaking of... Brazil Aug 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

But I'd be very much interested to check out Brazil to see if it is as bad as a certain economic crisis sufferer here makes it out to be.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a Portuguese friend who told me over the phone that he was going to live in Brazil with his wife who is a Brazilian citizen.
He said marvelous things about the country.
On the other hand, Brazilians make up the biggest foreign community in Portugal now, and I don't think it is due to that "certain economic crisis".

Baran Keki
Matthias Brombach

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Brazil Aug 13, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
On the other hand, Brazilians make up the biggest foreign community in Portugal now, and I don't think it is due to that "certain economic crisis".

I remember reading in the news during the 2014 Brazil World Cup that a large number of Argentinian fans (mostly men) came to Brazil and didn't leave the country after the world cup in the hopes of finding work there (they took to sleeping on the beach). Apparently the Brazilian economy was stronger than that of Argentina at the time.
Speaking of Argentinians, I wonder if they (Argies) are flocking to their old country (Italy)? And what is the perception towards them (if any)?

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a passport?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »