Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: I consider my lifestyle to be a healthy one.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:42
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Tomorrow .... Nov 3, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Let's go fishing everyone

.... when we had some sleep, we will fish again for proper words and concepts (and compliments). Thank you for your warm words, Verby!

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-03 22:33 GMT]

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fish in newspaper Nov 4, 2020

I remember your photo of the fish wrapped up in the Kieler Zeitung, or whatever it was called. Keep to the fish, and you can't go wrong, no matter what. Fish are good for the brain. Und bestimmt am Freitag, nicht wahr? Du kanst Fisch essen, nur weil heute Freitag ist. Well, it isn't Friday, but the good news is that it will be in a couple of days. And the even gooder news is that it's there at the end of every week, too. P.G. Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster's gentleman's gentleman Jeeves ate a lot of... See more
I remember your photo of the fish wrapped up in the Kieler Zeitung, or whatever it was called. Keep to the fish, and you can't go wrong, no matter what. Fish are good for the brain. Und bestimmt am Freitag, nicht wahr? Du kanst Fisch essen, nur weil heute Freitag ist. Well, it isn't Friday, but the good news is that it will be in a couple of days. And the even gooder news is that it's there at the end of every week, too. P.G. Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster's gentleman's gentleman Jeeves ate a lot of fish, according to Bertie.

All the best!
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Every day ... Nov 4, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Du kanst Fisch essen, nur weil heute Freitag ist.

All the best!

... could be a fishing day, but it wouldn´t be Germany if you needn´t a paper for fishing. Not the newspaper you saw in my post, to wrap the fish in, but the license I would have to renew, perhaps next year, and perhaps wearing sunglasses in the photo this time (credits to Sadek_A and his wife Christine; "Ahlan wa sahlan" and I hope you don´t mind mentioning you).
One more advice for Fishing in Germany: Don´t look for the wind or the sun nor for the waves for the best place or time to fish here at the Kiel Canal. Rule of thumb: Lookout, whether there are some of the numerous fishing colleagues with a Russian* background. When they are there (and only then!), you will be successful too. And when a vessel from Russia passes the Canal, be prepared for the catch of the day!
And thank you for the reading tip, I will keep it in mind for next year too, when there is more time between all the nuts and bolts, which have to be tightened with the proper torque in my manuals.

*Ask for their passport, when in doubt.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Competition time Nov 4, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
I will quit, I promise...

Quitting is the easy part.

Many years ago I was mildly famous in a small corner of Sweden for a short period of time for coining the following:

“Det svåra är inte att sluta utan att låta bli att börja igen”

Which Google Translate renders as:

“The hard part is not to stop but not to start again”

Which is accurate but hardly stylish. But then again I’ve never come up with a really elegant way of putting it in English.

Any takers?

This could in fact be the answer for all the minor-language-into-English translators out there so cruelly overlooked (alienated even, geddit?) by ProZ’s competitions to date. We could get to translate some Garbage Truck output into the proper English.

Genius, even if I say it myself.

[Edited at 2020-11-04 08:54 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Lucky you Nov 4, 2020

Lorenzo Rossi wrote:

"I go to gym 5 or 6 times a week"

Lucky you. No more gyms in Paris. And you have to cheat to walk more than 1 km.

Cmilja Milosevic
Cmilja Milosevic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
True Nov 4, 2020

No matter how much time I spend at the desk, I do some stretching and exercise afterwards, and I take walks almost every day.
But above all, I try to think positive, to eat and drink well, to enjoy my life.

expressisverbis

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Coffee may be good for you. Nov 4, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

... drinking coffee. (Yes, and I shouldn't, I know!)

There’s quite a bit of evidence that drinking coffee is healthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/style/self-care/coffee-benefits.html

[Edited at 2020-11-04 19:07 GMT]

expressisverbis

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2020

Duplicate post

[Edited at 2020-11-04 19:10 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 14:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
I consider mine to be an OK one Nov 5, 2020

I drink tea, coffee and alcohol. If I join a lively party, it's the norm for me to spend the next day nursing my hangover.

I have a light taste and don't have a sweet tooth. I cook practically every day and am one of those maniacs who have everything home-made. But I am not doing this out of health concerns. I just find the mass-produced supermarket stuff bland.

I stopped smoking after I moved to Mauritius. It's not that I have a strong will but cigarettes here are much
... See more
I drink tea, coffee and alcohol. If I join a lively party, it's the norm for me to spend the next day nursing my hangover.

I have a light taste and don't have a sweet tooth. I cook practically every day and am one of those maniacs who have everything home-made. But I am not doing this out of health concerns. I just find the mass-produced supermarket stuff bland.

I stopped smoking after I moved to Mauritius. It's not that I have a strong will but cigarettes here are much more expensive than in China and I wasn't a heavy smoker anyway.

I am a bit underweight for my height, which is fine with me. It merely means that I can't carry a fridge or a washing machine by myself.

[Edited at 2020-11-05 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Michael Harris

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Wise Mark Twain quote Nov 5, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
I will quit, I promise...

Quitting is the easy part.

“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.”

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
I consider mine active Nov 5, 2020

I consider mine active. I have been doing a lot of walking and running whenever I am free. I sit a lot at work so I needed it.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 06:42
Member (2011)
English to German
@ProZ.com Staff Nov 10, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I consider my lifestyle to be a healthy one."

Yes, this statement applies to me.

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I consider my lifestyle to be a healthy one.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »