Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Where do you live?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 18, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you live?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka. View the poll results »

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:33
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Other Feb 18, 2012

Middle of nowhere.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:33
Hebrew to English
Oh these polls..... Feb 18, 2012

....it seems imagination is in short supply.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:33
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Wish I was in Antarctica... Feb 18, 2012

...translating Penguin

squawk!

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:33
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
That was an easy poll to answer! Feb 18, 2012

Whew, this was one of the least ambiguous polls on Proz.com! Don't have to wreck your brain over this one...

[Edited at 2012-02-18 09:45 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Europe Feb 18, 2012

For family reasons, I move a lot (meaning every month) between Brussels and Lisbon...

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Antarctica, really ? Feb 18, 2012

Hi,

Really, we have colleague(s?) living in Antarctica ??? The poll displays 0.3% of responders in this area.

If this is true, I assure them of my deepest respect and admiration.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I prefer non-imaginative polls! Feb 18, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Maybe not imaginative, but I find it interesting to know broadly where fellow translators are located. I assume the lack of US answers thus far means that they are not awake yet!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
The glass is half full in one way.... Feb 18, 2012

JaneD wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Maybe not imaginative, but I find it interesting to know broadly where fellow translators are located. I assume the lack of US answers thus far means that they are not awake yet!

...in that I can actually understand the question being asked. You're right that the more imaginative questions can sometimes be more difficult to decipher, linguistically.

- I reckon whoever answered "Antarctica" was taking the mickey.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Why? Feb 18, 2012

Hello,

I am showing myself to be a bad faith sort at the moment. I have only recently starting paying anything other than vague attention to the polls on ProZ. Never the less, I have noted a number of repeats or near-repeats. Building on my no-doubt ever-growing reputation of being a grumpy whingy poster with regard to polls, here's another one in the same vein.

On seeing the question "Where do you live?", here are the questions which immediately spring to mind. As this
... See more
Hello,

I am showing myself to be a bad faith sort at the moment. I have only recently starting paying anything other than vague attention to the polls on ProZ. Never the less, I have noted a number of repeats or near-repeats. Building on my no-doubt ever-growing reputation of being a grumpy whingy poster with regard to polls, here's another one in the same vein.

On seeing the question "Where do you live?", here are the questions which immediately spring to mind. As this is not a matter of opinion but a matter of fact, surely the membership department has a precise answer to this precise question? What is the use of polling a question of this type which will only give incomplete information from members who choose to answer, and who no doubt represent an extremely small percentage of ProZ members? The result will surely be the extrapolation of correct answers to give an incomplete thus inaccurate overall view. You need not have done a course in statistics - basic common sense points to the futility of this poll.

Are we not falling into the poll for polls sake? Into the ridiculous without even having passed through the sublime to get there?

Nikki

PS : I have not answered this poll.

[Edited at 2012-02-18 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Don't let it get to you Feb 18, 2012

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Are we not falling into the poll for polls sake? Into the ridiculous without even having passed through the sublime to get there?

Nikki

PS : I have not answered this poll.

[Edited at 2012-02-18 11:03 GMT]

Polls on this site and others are just meant to be a bit of fun and a trigger for debate. So what if they are pointless? Why does everything have to have a point? The results can be taken with a pinch of salt, a pinch of mild curiosity and perhaps even a pinch of humour.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still... Feb 18, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Middle of nowhere.

... I recall there were one or two of us actually working with people in outer space

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Other options Feb 18, 2012

Should have included:

another planet

another galaxy

an alternative universe

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It would have been interesting... Feb 18, 2012

... to plot by time zones.

When I checked it, 80%+ were in Europe. However this was just before noon GMT, while most of North America was still asleep on a Saturday morning.

Maybe an interesting poll would be "what time zone are you in?". If there aren't so many options, ranges could be used.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:33
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Ask ProZ Feb 18, 2012

Ask ProZ.com staff and they might give you the stats, based on their web site analytics.

The question "Where do you live?" has nothing to do witn an opinion poll. Aren't I right?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you live?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »