Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you listen to music while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 13:20
German to English
+ ...
Yes, while translating Jan 11, 2011

I listen to classical or soundtrack albums, etc (anything without too many distracting lyrics), as background while translating. I find it helps me focus on what I'm doing and "blocks out" other distracting thoughts.
I can't listen to anything while proofing or doing final checks, though. I need silence for that - especially as I quite often read texts out loud to myself to check that they "flow"!

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:20
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
As often as possible Jan 11, 2011

Music always helps me find peace of mind and it helps me focus. I am a baroque singer and music is my life. Although I don't find many occasions to listen to music nowadays (having to go between daily errands and translation, it is hard to listen to a full opera or a recital). I do take every opportunity whenever I can.

Amandine Added
Amandine Added  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Depends on various factors Jan 11, 2011

Hilary Davies Shelby wrote:

I listen to classical or soundtrack albums, etc (anything without too many distracting lyrics), as background while translating. I find it helps me focus on what I'm doing and "blocks out" other distracting thoughts.
I can't listen to anything while proofing or doing final checks, though. I need silence for that - especially as I quite often read texts out loud to myself to check that they "flow"!

I do, most of time, listen to music while working but if I have a really short deadline or if it is a proofreading, I need silence to keep concentrated. However when I listen to music I need something without too much lyrics or I tend to loose concentration.
So I guess I am a bit like everyone)

Yvonne Becker
Yvonne Becker  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Jan 11, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Since I get easily distracted and start singing with all the original lyrics mixed with the material I'm translating or proofreading.

That's exactly what happens to me. Strangely, however, I don't mind having the TV on in the background.

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:20
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Almost always Jan 11, 2011

Since I mostly cant work in silence (except when Im proofreading what Ive written) I tend to have some movie or tv show in the background (love Keeping up appearances), a radio or some music (from 30 seconds to mars to Ludovico Einaudi)

Luciana F (X)
Luciana F (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
Sometimes Jan 12, 2011

It depends on the level of difficulty of the text. If it's high the music eventually becomes an annoying noise. But, for example, when I'm translating literature for pleasure I really like to have music around.

Also, sometimes, when I get stuck there is some music that helps me to relax and go on: Nick Drake, Radiohead, Jorge Drexler, jazz...

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
sometimes Jan 12, 2011

I have the jazz or classical station playing...

Edward Crandall (X)
Edward Crandall (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:20
Japanese to English
Always listen to classical music Jan 12, 2011

Classical (Handel, Bach, Ligeti, Takemitsu, Berg, et al) exclusively. The music helps me to a. concentrate, and b. relax. As others have pointed out, it is one of the luxuries of working at home. But when I am dealing with a particularly difficult passage (a long, convoluted sentence, usually) I turn the music off until I get past it. I have found that jazz and especially rock/pop tunes with lyrics are distracting, so I never listen to those types of music while working. I couldn't possibly list... See more
Classical (Handel, Bach, Ligeti, Takemitsu, Berg, et al) exclusively. The music helps me to a. concentrate, and b. relax. As others have pointed out, it is one of the luxuries of working at home. But when I am dealing with a particularly difficult passage (a long, convoluted sentence, usually) I turn the music off until I get past it. I have found that jazz and especially rock/pop tunes with lyrics are distracting, so I never listen to those types of music while working. I couldn't possibly listen to people talking on the radio. The language would be much too distracting.Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:20
English
+ ...
I have an iTunes playlist titled "Work"... Jan 12, 2011

It's classical music, mostly Mozart, Beethoven and Bach, that I listen to while translating and editing, but as so many people have already said, I have to have complete silence when proofreading.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I find Feb 28, 2011

I especially find listening to music from my source language countries is a great way to stay current with languages I do not necessarily speak on a daily basis.
I've become such a fan of some such music, that I keep a blog, now, on Rock en Español ( http://rockenespanol.wordpress.com ).
All the same, I would say I maintain silence probably a good 80% of the time while working, because it
... See more
I especially find listening to music from my source language countries is a great way to stay current with languages I do not necessarily speak on a daily basis.
I've become such a fan of some such music, that I keep a blog, now, on Rock en Español ( http://rockenespanol.wordpress.com ).
All the same, I would say I maintain silence probably a good 80% of the time while working, because it allows me to better focus.

[Edited at 2011-02-28 12:49 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while working?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »