Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you use OpenSource software on a regular basis, as an alternative to MS Office?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:00
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
You can Aug 24, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I don't know much about computers in general, but you can't download and use pirate stuff (torrents) on Mac as you do on Windows computers, right?

I didn't do it on Mac but I know it's possible. I avoid using pirate software but I watched pirate videos before.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:00
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"Tag forest" also differs... Aug 24, 2022

All who use CATs are mostly aware that the tag forest derived from xml files from LibreOffice is greatly higher than from MS Office. Unfortunatelly.

I have to point out that the OpenDocument xml scheme was a product of OpenOffice/LibreOffice open source comunity, they were not created by Microsoft.
But, being XML coding of open-source character, Microsoft kind of improved and beautified the XML internal codes, so that tag forest is less present in its Open XML; at least from
... See more
All who use CATs are mostly aware that the tag forest derived from xml files from LibreOffice is greatly higher than from MS Office. Unfortunatelly.

I have to point out that the OpenDocument xml scheme was a product of OpenOffice/LibreOffice open source comunity, they were not created by Microsoft.
But, being XML coding of open-source character, Microsoft kind of improved and beautified the XML internal codes, so that tag forest is less present in its Open XML; at least from the aspect of a translator who works with CATs.

It is true that tags can be transferred into target file in bulk, but very often it does not reproduce the source aestethic effect, like it is true that we can neutralize the source tags, which also has its consequences.

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's important, when delivering work to a client, that you deliver it in a format that satisfies the client's needs. For simple documents, LibreOffice might work because it can save files in the DOCX format. But you're always taking a risk that the client's document uses some kind of feature that LibreOffice does not support. It's fine if you're the kind of translator that translates from hardcopy (i.e. you create the translated file from scratch), but it's a different matter if you receive files from the client and then translate them by overtyping them.

[Updated]

[Edited at 2022-08-24 08:03 GMT]
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't replace MS Office yet Aug 25, 2022

I strive to use as much open source software as I can but, sadly, cannot yet replace MS Office because of compatibility problems. I refuse to pay for subscriptions or, when I need a specific piece of SW for a project, subscribe and then cancel soon. I don't mind purchasing lifetime licenses for quality proprietary software but see activation as a potential threat to me as a legitimate buyer. From my point of view, the promise of open source is not so much the "gratis" part but the fact that nobo... See more
I strive to use as much open source software as I can but, sadly, cannot yet replace MS Office because of compatibility problems. I refuse to pay for subscriptions or, when I need a specific piece of SW for a project, subscribe and then cancel soon. I don't mind purchasing lifetime licenses for quality proprietary software but see activation as a potential threat to me as a legitimate buyer. From my point of view, the promise of open source is not so much the "gratis" part but the fact that nobody can take it from me, especially given that some evil companies now go as far as deperpetualizing their older lifetime licenses (I'm talking about you RWS). Speaking about CAT, no open source CAT software exists that can replace Trados Studio for me. Swordfish looks promising but not there yet.Collapse

Tom in London

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Overgeneralization Aug 25, 2022

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

All who use CATs are mostly aware that the tag forest derived from xml files from LibreOffice is greatly higher than from MS Office.

This is nonsovergeneralization. Translating with OmegaT/memoQ/Wordfast Anywhere, I see no big difference between DOCX and ODT. In my experience, exactly DOCX tends to produce more tags, but it is not crucial in most cases. Anyway, both DOCX and ODT files require some preparation before fetching to a CAT tool. And to do that, I use only LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice Writer, because MSO Word only multiplies issues.

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
There's more than office software Aug 28, 2022

The open-source tool I use most for translation is the Python programming language, including the OpenPyXL module for editing Excel files. For example, I once translated a list of job titles, and used a Python script to add a note for every translation which was also used for another job title. Checking this by hand would have been time-consuming and unreliable.

Unfortunately, bulk edits don't go well together with CAT software, which wants to step through each segment sequentially.
... See more
The open-source tool I use most for translation is the Python programming language, including the OpenPyXL module for editing Excel files. For example, I once translated a list of job titles, and used a Python script to add a note for every translation which was also used for another job title. Checking this by hand would have been time-consuming and unreliable.

Unfortunately, bulk edits don't go well together with CAT software, which wants to step through each segment sequentially. Sometimes you have to choose one or the other.

A Microsoft 365 subscription through a reseller is not so expensive compared to other business software. I'd love to pay for a good open-source CAT tool when that means it's easy to modify it.
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Anaphraeus in LibreOffice Feb 26, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I'm getting more and more fed up with MSOffice so I've tried using LibreOffice instead - which is a worthy effort to make available an OpenSource free office suite that is compatible with MSOffice.

However LibreOffice is far from perfect and the latest version for Mac, which I've just installed, has various glitches - and it crashes.

Dear Tom in London!

If you have LO installed, you can still install the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and a free CAT, called Anaprhaseus, which works in the same way as Wordfast Classic. Only one file is translated at a time. The latest version is from January 10, 2020 (Readme.odt). I installed version 2.08.136. The advantage of Anaphraeus over OmegaT is to shrink / extend the open translated segment and adapt it to the translation memory for better matching. The advantage over Wordfast Classic - it's free.

https://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/

https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/359704-free_book_getting_closer_with_libreoffice_writer.html#2989360

You can see my posts in Czech

https://www.proz.com/forum/czech/227654-anaphraseus_cat_do_editoru_openoffice.html

Milan

[Edited at 2023-02-26 16:37 GMT]

esperantisto

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Libre and Open-source Software Feb 27, 2023

Milan Condak wrote:
it's free.

*libre

It's not about the price. It's about freedom.

----

Recently, I've been switching to Abiword, as LibreOffice is too bloated for my needs. So far, so good. It does everything I expect from a word processor, and all the DOCX documents I have tested seem compatible with it. I love how minimal it is. Let's see if this one would be a keeper.

I also have migrated to NeoMutt for my email client because, again, I find Thunderbird to be bloatware carrying nonsensical features that bear no relevance to its main function as an email management program, while unnecessarily increasing my attack surface for black hats to exploit. NeoMutt is inherently more secure since by design, you can't load JavaScript and rich HTML contents in emails. This is a non-issue for me, as I'd always disable JavaScript back when I was on Thunderbird, anyway. And my customers write their emails in plain-text format. So, nothing for me to lose.

Here comes the heart-breaking part. After using it since version 3.5, I have finally abandoned Firefox for qutebrowser. The reason? Yes, you guessed it. Firefox had become the bloated shadow of its former self. QB is much more minimal and does what I want from a web browser really well: displaying web pages. Anything else beyond this is nothing more than a superfluity.

I now use Zathura as a standalone PDF and e-book reader. Will try out Gnumeric for my spreadsheets when I've got the time.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
LO Feb 27, 2023

I use LO as an automatic preview app for CafeTran Espresso.

Besides that, I prefer Ms Word, mostly because of its Normal view mode and the fact that I'm familiair with VBA.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use OpenSource software on a regular basis, as an alternative to MS Office?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »