Beatrice T
Beatrice T  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2003

Hi everybody,

does anybody know whether I can assign hotkeys to numbers?

e.g.: use &24 hour notation

use &12 hour notation.

Thanks for your help!

Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ireland
Local time: 14:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Should work in Windows applications Apr 3, 2003

Hi Beatrice,

This should work for any Windows application, but might be limited by the development tool that is used to actually implement the translated strings back into the software files.

I used to work at Microsoft, where they use LocStudio for the extraction and re-implementation of localizable strings in software. However, alphabetic characters were always preferred over numbers and special characters (including accented chars).

Hope thi
... See more
Hi Beatrice,

This should work for any Windows application, but might be limited by the development tool that is used to actually implement the translated strings back into the software files.

I used to work at Microsoft, where they use LocStudio for the extraction and re-implementation of localizable strings in software. However, alphabetic characters were always preferred over numbers and special characters (including accented chars).

Hope this helps.

- R a l p h -
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
better stick to letters Apr 4, 2003

I can confirm what Ralph says from Adobe\'s experience, too: the reason why \"normal\" letters are preferred over numbers or acented/special characters is that the latter may change to shifted characters on different keyboard layouts.

Roberta

Beatrice T
Beatrice T  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 4, 2003

Thanks,

I conclude that theoretically you can assign hotkeys to any un-shifted character (right?), for Italian e.g to \"à\" and \"è\", too.

Good to know in case I run short of ordinary letters....

Have a nice weekend!
[addsig]

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
be cautious about using accented characters: Apr 4, 2003

they may appear as unshifted characters on an Italian keyboard, but they may cause problems if the user has a non-Italian system/keyboard... we cannot assume that an Italian sw is going to be used only on an Italian system/keyboard: it should be fully functional on any roman system.

[ This Message was edited by: Roberta A. on 2003-04-04 13:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to assign Hotkeys

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »