Can I become a "sworn translator" for a country despite not living there? (via Embassy/consulate?)
Thread poster: Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
French to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2022

Hello.

A lot of the job offers that come my way ask for a "sworn translator" for a given country (normally France). Often, the translation itself is well within my scope but because I am not a sworn translator I have to turn the job down.

Happily, sometimes when I give that reason, the client will say something like, "Please quote anyway. We will get someone else to deal with the certification formalities." But it feels like I could get more work if I was a sworn trans
... See more
Hello.

A lot of the job offers that come my way ask for a "sworn translator" for a given country (normally France). Often, the translation itself is well within my scope but because I am not a sworn translator I have to turn the job down.

Happily, sometimes when I give that reason, the client will say something like, "Please quote anyway. We will get someone else to deal with the certification formalities." But it feels like I could get more work if I was a sworn translator.

I live in the UK where there is no "sworn translator" system but I was wondering if it is possible to become a sworn translator via an embassy or consulate or some other means without living in the country in question. I emailed the French embassy a while back on this subject but have had no reply.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is it just a matter of becoming a resident in the country and going before the local court?

Kind regards,

Malcolm
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, that's it. Nov 15, 2022

Malcolm Rowe wrote:
Or is it just a matter of becoming a resident in the country and going before the local court?

Yes, that plus a residence address in that country (not a temporary one).

Not possible to do it via an embassy.

Sworn translators have commitments toward the court, including appearing for interpreting sessions at the local court during trials etc. Which is why they are often listed by their town/city, not only the country. They need to renew their license each year to remain "active" sworn interpreters.

There may be some specific requirements for France, but I doubt they differ much from the general terms described above.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes (Sweden) Nov 15, 2022

In Sweden, where I'm sworn, the answer is yes (= you don't need to have residence here).
https://www.kammarkollegiet.se/vara-tjanster/oversattare/ansok-om-auktorisation-som-oversattare

But you have to pass a test (with a 2,900 SEK fee). The test is run once a year in three Swedish cities, takes a full day, and requires phys
... See more
In Sweden, where I'm sworn, the answer is yes (= you don't need to have residence here).
https://www.kammarkollegiet.se/vara-tjanster/oversattare/ansok-om-auktorisation-som-oversattare

But you have to pass a test (with a 2,900 SEK fee). The test is run once a year in three Swedish cities, takes a full day, and requires physical presence. I don't think you can do it at an embassy.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
It surely varies Nov 15, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:
Yes, that plus a residence address in that country (not a temporary one).

Not a requirement in Sweden.

Lingua 5B wrote:
Sworn translators have commitments toward the court, including appearing for interpreting sessions at the local court during trials etc.

Not in Sweden (interpreting is separate from translation here, and there are no "commitments").

Lingua 5B wrote:
They need to renew their license each year to remain "active" sworn interpreters.

Not in Sweden (here, an authority checks up on us every 5 years, mainly to see if we have enough business to qualify as professionals).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It varies a lot Nov 15, 2022

As far as I know different countries use different systems for awarding this status to translators. For instance, in Germany, each federal state has different rules on who can be a sworn translator. In Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys).

P.S. Some Embassies
... See more
As far as I know different countries use different systems for awarding this status to translators. For instance, in Germany, each federal state has different rules on who can be a sworn translator. In Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys).

P.S. Some Embassies provide a list of the sworn translators registered with that Embassy.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Deal with the certification formalities...? Nov 15, 2022

Malcolm Rowe wrote:

Happily, sometimes when I give that reason, the client will say something like, "Please quote anyway. We will get someone else to deal with the certification formalities."

How is that possible? The translator is either sworn or not, and so is the translation.

Occasionally I get inquiries on the line of "please put your stamp on my translation". I doubt there are many takers.

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
Certified vs Sworn Nov 15, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:

Malcolm Rowe wrote:

Happily, sometimes when I give that reason, the client will say something like, "Please quote anyway. We will get someone else to deal with the certification formalities."

How is that possible? The translator is either sworn or not, and so is the translation.

Occasionally I get inquiries on the line of "please put your stamp on my translation". I doubt there are many takers.

Certified translation isn't the same as sworn translation. Where countries like Sweden, France, and Bosnia, Serbia, or Croatia implement the sworn translation system, places like UK, that have no sworn translations system, may implement the certified translation.

My best guess is that the OP doesn't do sworn translations (which would be difficult to pull off and very much illegal) but, rather, the agency he is collaborating with certifies his translation instead.

I do certified translations all the time in SR, BS, HR - EN pairs, and it's the agencies that certify the translation via 'a letter on a company letterhead confirming that the document has been translated by a qualified translator, in a format and with wording approved by the Association of Translation Companies. The letter will then be stamped with the Association of Translation Companies stamp. This certifies that the document is a true and honest translation.'

BTW, if anyone needed me to do a sworn translation into English, I can do that by an affidavit sworn in front of a qualified solicitor, stating that my translation is accurate and true.

Here's more on that: https://www.citylegal.co.uk/en/legalised-sworn-and-certified-translations

I also do certified (in a manner explained above) translation into BS,HR, SR but I cannot do sworn, since I am not a sworn translator in either Bosnia, Croatia, or Serbia.

@OP Perhaps it'd be better to find official government pages of the country in which you'd like to become a sworn translator. There you can learn about that country's unique requirements and, if any are available, potential ways of becoming a certified translator instead.

Edit: I made a comment regarding US having both sworn and certified translators but it seems that this isn't entirely true. I've just looked into it, and it seems to me that what some US agencies call a 'sworn translator' seems to be a certified (by the ATA) translator. So, fixing this not to confuse things further myself.

[Edited at 2022-11-15 23:53 GMT]

philgoddard

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the embassy and/or the SFT Nov 16, 2022

As others have already pointed out, it varies from one country to another. I would ask the embassy anyway, or the SFT in France (Société Française des Traducteurs).

In Denmark I never managed to become a State Authorized Translator before the protected title was abolished (!) in 2015.
However, I already knew several colleagues who were State Authorized, and I work with them, or the client agency makes whatever arrangements are necessary.

I am a Chartered Lingui
... See more
As others have already pointed out, it varies from one country to another. I would ask the embassy anyway, or the SFT in France (Société Française des Traducteurs).

In Denmark I never managed to become a State Authorized Translator before the protected title was abolished (!) in 2015.
However, I already knew several colleagues who were State Authorized, and I work with them, or the client agency makes whatever arrangements are necessary.

I am a Chartered Linguist, and in the UK members of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and/or the ITI can certify translations for some purposes. Check with them too.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It depends Nov 16, 2022

Malcolm Rowe wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to become a sworn translator via an embassy or consulate or some other means without living in the country in question.

This depends on the country.

You should ask your question on the French forum, where there may be French translators who know the process better:
https://www.proz.com/forum/french-25.html

And you should contact translator associations in France, for they might be able to give you the correct answer as well:
https://www.proz.com/translator_associations

Joakim Braun wrote:

In some countries, a sworn translation (or equivalent) can be made by any translator, as long as he/she or sometimes someone else swears by it. And not all translations by sworn translators are sworn translations. Whether only sworn translators can make sworn translations depends on the country.

[Edited at 2022-11-16 11:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I become a "sworn translator" for a country despite not living there? (via Embassy/consulate?)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »