Translation agency asking for national ID card?
Thread poster: Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2022

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if any of you are going through the same issue as me.

An US based translation agency that I already did a job in December and that paid to me on time is asking me now for a photo of my Spanish ID card.

They explain that it is due a new law in the US and that every single linguist in their database has to send their ID card if they want to stay in their database The email has been sent for their legit email address. It is not
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if any of you are going through the same issue as me.

An US based translation agency that I already did a job in December and that paid to me on time is asking me now for a photo of my Spanish ID card.

They explain that it is due a new law in the US and that every single linguist in their database has to send their ID card if they want to stay in their database The email has been sent for their legit email address. It is not a case of phishing or whatever. In my case, I am awaiting their invoicing period to invoice the second job I did for them a couple of weeks ago.

I am only wondering if I should send the photo to them because I have read in Facebook or here, in the Proz's forums, that it is not normal.

May it be linked to the war in Ukraine? This is the only American agency I work with and I would like to know if your clients based in the US are also asking you for that information.

Thank you.
Jorge
Collapse

OLIVIER ELOUMBAT
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No request received Mar 2, 2022

I have clients in the USA and until now no request for my ID card received.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sounds strange... Mar 2, 2022

Ask them for the name of the law.

Jennifer Levey
Lucy Leite
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

Steve Robbie
Steve Robbie
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
Member (2017)
German to English
+ ...
Seems strange that they ask for an ID card ... Mar 2, 2022

.... given that they don't have those in the United States.

Lucy Leite
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
German to English
Have you filled out a W-8 form? Mar 2, 2022

Translators working outside the US have to file a W-8 form with American agencies which remains with the agency. Basically the form certifies that you are not subject to withholding tax in the US, and is used in case the agency is audited by the Internal Revenue Service. I can't imagine why an agency would request a copy of the national ID, except perhaps to identify fraudulent translators. As other have pointed out there is no American national ID.

An inquiry to the PM (as a reply
... See more
Translators working outside the US have to file a W-8 form with American agencies which remains with the agency. Basically the form certifies that you are not subject to withholding tax in the US, and is used in case the agency is audited by the Internal Revenue Service. I can't imagine why an agency would request a copy of the national ID, except perhaps to identify fraudulent translators. As other have pointed out there is no American national ID.

An inquiry to the PM (as a reply to an email from him/her to avoid possible email address hijacking) might clear things up.
Collapse

Francesco Sani
dkfmmuc
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL
Yvonne Gallagher

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
National ID card Mar 3, 2022

There is no such "new" law in the US. Avoid them.

dkfmmuc
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Unreliable workflow during onboarding Mar 3, 2022

Dear Jorge Rodriguez,

my personal experience is that an unreliable (or too demanding) workflow during onboarding is one
of the more visible early warning indicators that this customer is not the most reliable one.

The harmless version of that is that he needs hundreds of images of his suppliers to use for his advertisements. And by the way: You are the one going into risk by providing your services and get paid later.

Another "half scam" version wo
... See more
Dear Jorge Rodriguez,

my personal experience is that an unreliable (or too demanding) workflow during onboarding is one
of the more visible early warning indicators that this customer is not the most reliable one.

The harmless version of that is that he needs hundreds of images of his suppliers to use for his advertisements. And by the way: You are the one going into risk by providing your services and get paid later.

Another "half scam" version would be to trick you into one of the non regulated wallets just to get the new customer referral bonus.

The already described form for tax purposes is the onboarding requirement. And naturally a bank specialized on international payments to avoid your local savings bank may bill hefty fees.

But not a copy of your ID.

Best regards

Gerd

[Edited at 2022-03-03 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:01
German to English
No new law Mar 3, 2022

Jorge,

As others have pointed out, there is no "new law" in the U.S. None of the existing laws in the U.S. require companies to obtain any sort of photo ID of their suppliers, whether in the U.S. or located overseas. But as Kevin did point out, you do have to send them a W-8 every couple of years. You should certainly ask for clarification!

Robin

Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency asking for national ID card?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »