Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
What about your eyes? Oct 1, 2007

I can see the point of having two screens for Trados and internet search screens, but wouldn't it be better for your eyes to just print out the source documents?

Terence French
Terence French
Local time: 05:11
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hardware solution is best Oct 1, 2007

I've been using Matrox graphic adapters for years and can highly recommend them. The display quality is excellent and so is the support (drivers). You can either spread your work area over two displays (e.g. an Excel sheet or two Word pages side by side) or use two displays independently, i.e. online dictionary on one display, work document on the second one. Using a trick, you can also view two PowerPoint pages at one time, i.e. source and target, something that is not otherwise possible. Matro... See more
I've been using Matrox graphic adapters for years and can highly recommend them. The display quality is excellent and so is the support (drivers). You can either spread your work area over two displays (e.g. an Excel sheet or two Word pages side by side) or use two displays independently, i.e. online dictionary on one display, work document on the second one. Using a trick, you can also view two PowerPoint pages at one time, i.e. source and target, something that is not otherwise possible. Matrox P650's sell on ebay for as little as EUR 40. Once you've used two displays, you will never want to go back to working with just one.Collapse

Witold Wiechowski
Witold Wiechowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
next step - two operating systems Oct 1, 2007

And now, if dragging of windows between monitors works correctly, I propose next step - two operating systems working simultaneously on two monitors.
You just need VMware Workstation 6.0 (Vista compatible) to make virtual PC.
It is really funny to look like windows of Win XP is dragged from the monitor with displayed Windows Vista to another one.

Best regards

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Trick? Oct 1, 2007

Terence French wrote:

Using a trick, you can also view two PowerPoint pages at one time, i.e. source and target, something that is not otherwise possible. Matrox P650's sell on ebay for as little as EUR 40. Once you've used two displays, you will never want to go back to working with just one.

I was trying to do just this, i.e. have two PPt documents open at once on my two screens, but without success. What's the trick?

Thanks,

Claire

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
To Carlos Oct 1, 2007

I am producing translated abstracts from patent specifications. The abstracts are only a few lines long, but the patents are several pages, from 4 upwards but probably averaging 10-20 each, occasionally over 50. I think the longest I ever had was 114. So although I have been able to deal with this while they were sending me hard copy, it would be a huge task to print out all the patents. It isn't really practicable.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Stereo PPTs Oct 1, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

I was trying to do just this, i.e. have two PPt documents open at once on my two screens, but without success. What's the trick?

Thanks,

Claire

Open the source PPT, press Slide Show/View Show. Then open the target file and it should appear on the other screen.

Cheers
Chris

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Fair enough Oct 1, 2007

Fair enough. My eyes get a bit sore if I look at the screen for too long, so I try to remember to look out the window (the real one, not a computer window, i.e. into the garden) after each sentence.

Jack Doughty wrote:

I am producing translated abstracts from patent specifications. The abstracts are only a few lines long, but the patents are several pages, from 4 upwards but probably averaging 10-20 each, occasionally over 50. I think the longest I ever had was 114. So although I have been able to deal with this while they were sending me hard copy, it would be a huge task to print out all the patents. It isn't really practicable.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Related question Oct 1, 2007

Do you need a special screen? Or is it possible to connect a screen of a normal desktop computer to a laptop? (the laptop is running under Windows XP but only a year old, the desktop computer is about four years old but the screen is very good, and I would like to keep it).

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
To NMR Oct 1, 2007

If you go back to the beginning of this topic, someone suggests MaxiVista, which might be what you are looking for.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 1, 2007

Textklick wrote:

Open the source PPT, press Slide Show/View Show. Then open the target file and it should appear on the other screen.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris

I'll try and file this somewhere safe then I'll remember when I next have to do this.

Claire

Terence French
Terence French
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Two instances of PowerPoint Oct 2, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

Textklick wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris

I'll try and file this somewhere safe then I'll remember when I next have to do this.

Claire

The drawback with this method is that the toolbar is only displayed on one screen, so you have to flick back and forth between screens. The trick I was talking about, actually opening two instances of PowerPoint, is described here: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/mmmagic.html
Terence

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Neutral Oct 2, 2007

Terence French wrote:

The drawback with this method is that the toolbar is only displayed on one screen, so you have to flick back and forth between screens. The trick I was talking about, actually opening two instances of PowerPoint, is described here: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/mmmagic.html
Terence

That's perfectly correct - but only if you need to edit the source file.

Never needed/been required to do that before - (often felt the source needed editing, though)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One computer, two screens

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »