Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 3, 2007

Recently, I've received several automated messages saying that an email I've sent was "deleted unread". When I forward this message to the person concerned to show them what's happened and to ask why it was "deleted unread", sometimes that message also comes back as "deleted unread". When I phone the person to ask why they deleted my message unread, they say they didn't.
What's going on? Is this just another glitch in the system somewhere?
It can be worrying when one has sent some
... See more
Recently, I've received several automated messages saying that an email I've sent was "deleted unread". When I forward this message to the person concerned to show them what's happened and to ask why it was "deleted unread", sometimes that message also comes back as "deleted unread". When I phone the person to ask why they deleted my message unread, they say they didn't.
What's going on? Is this just another glitch in the system somewhere?
It can be worrying when one has sent someone an urgent job.
Not a major problem, just wondering why.
Regards,
Jenny.
Collapse

Adam Dean
Adam Dean  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Read in preview Aug 3, 2007

In Outlook, you can read messages in a preview pane without actually opening them. Messages are only automatically marked as "read" if you then double-click on the message itself to open it in a separate window.

If the user deletes a message after only reading the preview version, it is flagged as "deleted unread" even though they have actually looked at the content.

I often read mails in the preview pane and then delete them from my inbox without actually opening them.
... See more
In Outlook, you can read messages in a preview pane without actually opening them. Messages are only automatically marked as "read" if you then double-click on the message itself to open it in a separate window.

If the user deletes a message after only reading the preview version, it is flagged as "deleted unread" even though they have actually looked at the content.

I often read mails in the preview pane and then delete them from my inbox without actually opening them. If the sender has asked for a read receipt, the computer will ask if I want to send a "deleted unread" mail and I will say "no". However, this prompt can be turned off and Outlook will send the "deleted unread" mail automatically.

I'm sure the mails are being read - just not opened in a separate window.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, 'A' Aug 4, 2007

A Dean wrote:

I often read mails in the preview pane and then delete them from my inbox without actually opening them. If the sender has asked for a read receipt, the computer will ask if I want to send a "deleted unread" mail and I will say "no". However, this prompt can be turned off and Outlook will send the "deleted unread" mail automatically.

I'm sure the mails are being read - just not opened in a separate window.

Thank you - that's comforting. However, at least one of the "deleted unread" messages (one containing the urgent work I'd sent) clearly hadn't been read, because the client phoned next day to ask where the work was. Upsetting. I sent it again at once, of course, and that time it seems to have been received.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-08-04 16:22]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:33
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Ask the client to check his filters Aug 7, 2007

Hi Jenny,

I had once exactly the same problem with one of my clients, and it turned out to be that he changed smth in the emailer settings, so my messages landed directly in the trash. When I asked him to check the trash he found everything there, corrected the filters and the problem has never repeated since then.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 22:33
English
Not the default setting Aug 11, 2007

A Dean wrote:

The "only" is incorrect: Marking as read does not require opening in a separate window. In Outlook 2003 default settings will not mark as read when selected but it WILL mark it when the selection changes; in other words, when you select it it's not marked, but as soon as something else is selected, it IS marked as read. The user would have to delete it while it's selected to flag it as "deleted unread".

In older Outlook I think the default was to mark as read after a short delay, even if just selected (not opened). The default time value is pretty short. I don't know the actual value, but you sort have to work at it to select a subject and press Delete before Outlook says it's been read.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email messages returned as "deleted unread"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »