Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]
Is it perfectly normal that the sound on computers only lasts for a few weeks?
Autor wątku: Astrid Elke Witte
liora (X)
liora (X)  Identity Verified
Izrael
Local time: 03:46
angielski > hebrajski
+ ...
Did the guy install legitimate software ? Jul 16, 2007

Shalom,
If your computer was assembled and installed from bits and pieces individually, what kind of op system and other softwares were installed ? sometimes the software protects itself, especially windows ....

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 02:46
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
It has fixed itself! Jul 16, 2007

It has fixed itself, before the computer man's arrival this morning!

Maybe it was something I fiddled with in the settings yesterday that fixed it, and, little did I know, it only needed a re-boot after that!

Anyhow, it is working again! I will see how long it lasts. Wish I knew what went wrong, and how it was fixed.

Astrid

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 01:46
flamandzki > angielski
+ ...
New sound-card. Jul 16, 2007

Buy a new sound-card. Put it in one of the slots -Windows normally recognises that you have installed new hardware and will ask to install the drivers out of a series of drivers under Windows or on the CD delivered with the sound-card. You can also download those drivers on the manufacturer's website.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

polski > niemiecki
+ ...
Sound in Windows is not messy Jul 16, 2007

Quite the other way round...
Depending on the sound-card you have you can get a very sophisticated sound with Windows.
Even some mainboard integrated sound systems are not that bad. In my Dell for example there is a 5.1-system, providing quite acceptable sound - and this is a simple motherboard integrated device. If you go for a Creative Labs sound machine, you can give your old stereo system to your grandchildren (or anyone else) to play with...
See more
Depending on the sound-card you have you can get a very sophisticated sound with Windows.
Even some mainboard integrated sound systems are not that bad. In my Dell for example there is a 5.1-system, providing quite acceptable sound - and this is a simple motherboard integrated device. If you go for a Creative Labs sound machine, you can give your old stereo system to your grandchildren (or anyone else) to play with

Jerzy
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugalia
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
Messy Jul 16, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Even some mainboard integrated sound systems are not that bad. In my Dell for example there is a 5.1-system, providing quite acceptable sound - and this is a simple motherboard integrated device. If you go for a Creative Labs sound machine, you can give your old stereo system to your grandchildren (or anyone else) to play with

Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

I don't think José was using "messy" with reference to sound quality.

As I understand it, he merely meant sound settngs etc can be a hassle/little complicated to deal with if you don't how.

Keep well
Debs

Jerzy Czopik
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

polski > niemiecki
+ ...
I meant nearly the same Jul 16, 2007

Sound settings in Windows are pretty clear and easy... At least for me, after having been using Windows PCs since 1993. In DOS it was a real pain in the a... Also Windows 3.1 was not that easy, but starting with Windows 95 and following it became relly not so sophisticated.

Jerzy

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugalia
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
Sound vs. sound settings Jul 16, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sound settings in Windows are pretty clear and easy... At least for me, after having been using Windows PCs since 1993. In DOS it was a real pain in the a... Also Windows 3.1 was not that easy, but starting with Windows 95 and following it became relly not so sophisticated.

Jerzy

From your references to sophisticated sound and acceptable sound that wasn't clear.

You've clarified that now.

Enjoy the day further
Debs

Jerzy Czopik
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

polski > niemiecki
+ ...
Sound settings Jul 16, 2007

Thank you - same to you.
You are right, it wasn't precise enough.

Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
My technician's explanation Jul 16, 2007

I asked him anyway about it, and told him that the sound had gone for the weekend and then come back this morning. He answered that, in his opinion, it was caused by my "mini PC". I have an extra small PC casing, as far as I know the first of its kind, and he said that it would easily overheat in this hot weather (it was 32°C over the weekend) and then one component of it could stop working. However, I have had sound all day today in 34°C, and nothing else has broken in its place yet... (but I... See more
I asked him anyway about it, and told him that the sound had gone for the weekend and then come back this morning. He answered that, in his opinion, it was caused by my "mini PC". I have an extra small PC casing, as far as I know the first of its kind, and he said that it would easily overheat in this hot weather (it was 32°C over the weekend) and then one component of it could stop working. However, I have had sound all day today in 34°C, and nothing else has broken in its place yet... (but I did have the air conditioning switched on in my office today).

Astrid
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Polska
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

niemiecki > polski
+ ...
I don't believe... Jul 16, 2007

Is it true or a joke?

Regards

Andrzej

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 21:46
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
In Memoriam
My idea of messy Jul 16, 2007

Jerzy,

In Windows (95/98/XP et al) the Audio Properties panel has to be opened, then you have the Play and the Record panels, and it's possible to enable and disable devices.

What I meant that makes it messy is that software can wreak havoc on all these controls without unbeknownst to you. So sometimes I run a program and, when I try to use the sound again, it doesn't work. Going to those panels, I discover that some devices have been disabled, others have been muted,
... See more
Jerzy,

In Windows (95/98/XP et al) the Audio Properties panel has to be opened, then you have the Play and the Record panels, and it's possible to enable and disable devices.

What I meant that makes it messy is that software can wreak havoc on all these controls without unbeknownst to you. So sometimes I run a program and, when I try to use the sound again, it doesn't work. Going to those panels, I discover that some devices have been disabled, others have been muted, volume sliders are all messed up, and so on.

I had a hobby of downloading MIDI files, re-orchestrating and re-mixing them, to record my exclusive Pentium Orchestra (though my processor is AMD) CDs, which sound like a "dream band" in concert. So I had to learn a lot about setting up these things.

One weird lesson was that the on-board audio interface on my Asus motherboard is better than Creative's Live 5.1. So next time I upgrade I'll first try the onboard sound before buying a sound card.

Another one - and this is important - was that if you hear something from your PC, it doesn't mean it will go into a WAV file when you record it with any software. Those audio control panels must be checked out first.

Finally, when I translate and subtitle a DVD for a client, I take the chance to normalize the original soundtrack (using Acoustica). This helps me translate from a clearer sounding track, which I apply to the subtitled DVD. The client will never understand why my subtitled (not dubbed!) DVD sounds so much better than the original. If it's from VHS tape, I take the chance to clean the background noise that comes from the tape itself.

So, IMHO the PC+Windows sound is absolutely great. But the controls are still messy for people who are not deep into the subject.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

polski > niemiecki
+ ...
That's it :-) Jul 16, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
snip...
So, IMHO the PC+Windows sound is absolutely great. But the controls are still messy for people who are not deep into the subject.
snap...

But OTOH what in this world, when broken, can be set up again without having at least a vague clue about the subject?
Not checked that on Macintosh, but could imagine the settings there are more "resistent" against unwanted changes by some gone wild programs.
As I do not use so many audio programs I have not had so many trouble with Windows sound settings.

Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > słoweński
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
sound on PC messy Jul 17, 2007

because we use it. Unused functionality usually behaves much better.

Vito

PS: this mail says absolutely nothing new. But I just wanted to join the crowd of translators, who are (next to linguistics) top guns in in the sound hardware and software.

Count me in.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 20:46
angielski
Macintosh audio Aug 11, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Not checked that on Macintosh, but could imagine the settings there are more "resistent" against unwanted changes by some gone wild programs.

Macs seem to be resistant to change insofar as each application pretty much stands alone and does not bother other apps, and no app (that I know of, anyway) has control over the system's Sound preferences.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it perfectly normal that the sound on computers only lasts for a few weeks?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »