Thread poster: HRiley
HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 6, 2003

Hi,

I thought I\'d been very clever by buying rewritable CDs for storing data archives, rather than the cheaper one-use kind...

But I can\'t work out how on earth to format them so that they can actually be used. My PC runs in Windows XP, and when I insert the CD into the drive, I get no option to format it via Windows.

I downloaded InCD, a \"packet-writing\" application from Nero, which is meant to be suitable for formatting blank CDs... but
... See more
Hi,

I thought I\'d been very clever by buying rewritable CDs for storing data archives, rather than the cheaper one-use kind...

But I can\'t work out how on earth to format them so that they can actually be used. My PC runs in Windows XP, and when I insert the CD into the drive, I get no option to format it via Windows.

I downloaded InCD, a \"packet-writing\" application from Nero, which is meant to be suitable for formatting blank CDs... but every time I insert a new CD, I just get the message \"illegal action\" and then the CD is ejected

Can anybody help? I\'ve spent hours trying to find information on the Web but to no avail.

Thanks
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Here you go May 6, 2003

For regular writing, type \"burn CD\" in XP\'s help function, and they will guide you through the copy function.

To take advantage of the RW-discs, try \"Nero Burning ROM\", found here: http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10196910&merid=63258&mfgid=63258&edId=3&siteId

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:02
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I use CD RW regulary, AFAIK, they do not need to be formatted, May 6, 2003

just write and that\'s all, when you want to rewrite it, go to menu (in Easy Cd Creator 5.1, I think it doesn\'t much differ in NERO) and select when it\'s ereased, just write anew...

I have several discs I have ereased and written more than 100 times, and still all\'s OK.
[addsig]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
German to English
+ ...
Problem with DirectCD? May 7, 2003

I got Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4/Direct CD with my Dell desktop (Windows 2000 Pro), but when I try to insert a CD-RW created with Direct CD (using the drag-and-drop function) in my Windows XP laptop, I get the message that Direct CD will make my laptop\'s operating system unstable. So there is some kind of incompatibility there. The CD-R ones I make with Easy CD seem to work OK on XP - it just unpacks the folders and I\'m ready to go. Maybe your program is incompatible also?

... See more
I got Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4/Direct CD with my Dell desktop (Windows 2000 Pro), but when I try to insert a CD-RW created with Direct CD (using the drag-and-drop function) in my Windows XP laptop, I get the message that Direct CD will make my laptop\'s operating system unstable. So there is some kind of incompatibility there. The CD-R ones I make with Easy CD seem to work OK on XP - it just unpacks the folders and I\'m ready to go. Maybe your program is incompatible also?

This CD-RW thing is really not as simple as it seems. My desktop\'s burner reads Imation-brand CDs just fine, but if I get Memorex-brand CDs (same kind), it refuses to even recognize that they are in the CD drive.

Go figure!
Collapse

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your help... still no joy so far though May 11, 2003

Well, I tried the procedure as explained in the Windows help page, but I couldn\'t get Windows to recognize the CD in the drive as valid (and therefore write to it).

I tried the Nero Burn ROM software but it doesn\'t want to recognize the CD in the drive either. I had another attempt using InCD and the same thing happened.

Then I read Daina\'s post - and it sounded pretty familiar to me, as I\'m wondering whether the problem isn\'t caused by some weird incompatibility betwe
... See more
Well, I tried the procedure as explained in the Windows help page, but I couldn\'t get Windows to recognize the CD in the drive as valid (and therefore write to it).

I tried the Nero Burn ROM software but it doesn\'t want to recognize the CD in the drive either. I had another attempt using InCD and the same thing happened.

Then I read Daina\'s post - and it sounded pretty familiar to me, as I\'m wondering whether the problem isn\'t caused by some weird incompatibility between the software + XP + CD brand.

Hum. I guess I\'ll have to keep trying!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems formatting CD-RW

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »