Creating PDF files
Thread poster: xxx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Local time: 02:40
Apr 29, 2003

Hallo everybody!

I would like to create PDF files from MS Word documents in order to send out quotations, invoices, and CVs per e-mail. Some people might be afraid of PC viruses and hesitate to open a Word document. But I can\'t find a way to convert the documents into PDF since neither Word (version 97) nor Acrobat reader seem to provide the means.

What am I to do?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Diane

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Try... Apr 29, 2003

FreePDF

http://shbox.de/freepdf.htm

or

Ghostscript (with GSView):

http://www.ghostgum.com.au/

Grüße!

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
NLM DocMorph Apr 29, 2003

Hi,

I\'m using DocMorph at http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/ for my invoices, leaflets, etc. It\'s free, but you need to register. It works very well.

Good luck,

Magda

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat Apr 29, 2003

The most expensive option is to acquire Adobe Acrobat (not the same as Acrobat Reader!).

It allows you to create _and edit_ PDF documents from any application you work in.

The links and software listed above are, of course, just as good if you simply need to create a PDF file.

Cheers,

Pawel Skalinski

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Your choices depend on the application Apr 29, 2003

If you plan on using PDFs just to make your business correspondence easier, any of the free tools will do good enough a job. If you\'re running an apache server on your PC there\'s a nice php library that works very well.

If you need to create PDF files for professional printing, I would recommend to use Adobe Acrobat to be on the save side. Running into trouble because of little incompatibilities is far more expensive and time-consuming than buying Acrobat.

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:40
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat, sure Apr 29, 2003

I had the same problem and had to buy Adobe Acrobat; now I not only can create pdf\'s using it (quite simple, BTW). There\'ve been a number of jobs I could do ONLY with the help of the program, like editing publication-ready pdf files or converting word.docs weighing ca. 50 Mb into emailable pdf\'s.

Cheers,

Oleg

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:40
Italian to English
+ ...
pdf995 cheap (well free really) and reliable Apr 29, 2003

I\'ve been using pdf995. The free version takes you to an advert url once you\'ve finished , but that\'s the only hassle. Its free, reliable and works perfectly. Download it from CNET etc.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:40
English to German
+ ...
Online Creation at Adobe's Apr 29, 2003

I\'ve had good results with the online service from Adobe. It offers maximum quality and you only have to pay a few bucks when you really nead it. I tried a lot of alternatives, but not all of them..

Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:40
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You need the full version Apr 30, 2003

Dear Diane,

The only thing you need is a full version of Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader!) and you will have no problems to convert Word files.

Please, visit the following site:

www.adobe.com for more details.

Regards,

Natasha

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating PDF files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »