Thread poster: Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:00
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2003

After many years of translations, I have now a huge (123 pages) personal technical glossary in Excell. My problem is that I work with Trados and have always to click on the glossary file, click on the search button in this file, type the words to search and then click to go out of the search version to be able to view the different translations of the word.

Do you have an easy way of working?

Because it is taking much time...

Thanks a lot.

Marti
... See more
After many years of translations, I have now a huge (123 pages) personal technical glossary in Excell. My problem is that I work with Trados and have always to click on the glossary file, click on the search button in this file, type the words to search and then click to go out of the search version to be able to view the different translations of the word.

Do you have an easy way of working?

Because it is taking much time...

Thanks a lot.

Martine
[addsig]
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try the "List Management" function Apr 28, 2003

You could use an Autofilter for the file (Select the whole of it -> Data -> Filter -> Autofilter). In this case, there will be a drop-down function available for both columns (or all of them). By clicking onto the small triangle in the corner of the first row of the column, the entries of that column will appear in ABC order and you only have to select the right one (=no typing). You\'ll have on the screen just the row with the word selected. You can leave the file open (as it is) and, if yo... See more
You could use an Autofilter for the file (Select the whole of it -> Data -> Filter -> Autofilter). In this case, there will be a drop-down function available for both columns (or all of them). By clicking onto the small triangle in the corner of the first row of the column, the entries of that column will appear in ABC order and you only have to select the right one (=no typing). You\'ll have on the screen just the row with the word selected. You can leave the file open (as it is) and, if you need another word, you pull down the list again (there is no need to go back and select \"All\" in the drop-down menu in the meantime).Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why don't you use MultiTerm? Apr 28, 2003

If you have Trados anyway, the obvious thing to do is to import your Excel-based termbase into MultiTerm.

A description of how to do that can be found here.

HTH - Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to search \"rapidly\" in a huge Excell glossary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »