Very Urgent- Editing XML files- what application to use?
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 1, 2002

Hi folks,

I\'ve just realized I have a short file to translate still today and it\'s in XML. I imagine you can edit them in Wordpad or Notepad, but the color marks are gone. Any suggestions? Can I save it as any Trados-readable format such as .rtf and then save them again as XML? How to do that? Do I run the risk of damaging anything in the process?

Any help greatly appreciated,

ME

(clueless scatterbrain)

... See more
Hi folks,

I\'ve just realized I have a short file to translate still today and it\'s in XML. I imagine you can edit them in Wordpad or Notepad, but the color marks are gone. Any suggestions? Can I save it as any Trados-readable format such as .rtf and then save them again as XML? How to do that? Do I run the risk of damaging anything in the process?

Any help greatly appreciated,

ME

(clueless scatterbrain)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 19:23 ]
Collapse

Rita Damo
Rita Damo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Using Rainbow and Horizon with Wordfast Aug 1, 2002

Dear ME,

RWS works beautifully for translating XML files. Just download the newest version, use Rainbow to prepare it for translation, then translate with Wordfast the RTF file that you obtain, and you can at the same monitor the process of translation using Horizon. When you are finished with your RTF file, you will have a beautiful XML file already translated.

If you have any doubt, refer to the RWS too
... See more
Dear ME,

RWS works beautifully for translating XML files. Just download the newest version, use Rainbow to prepare it for translation, then translate with Wordfast the RTF file that you obtain, and you can at the same monitor the process of translation using Horizon. When you are finished with your RTF file, you will have a beautiful XML file already translated.

If you have any doubt, refer to the RWS tools tutorial at:

http://www.opentag.com/wordfast/WordfastSample.htm

Wordfast and +Tools can be downloaded at: www.champollion.net

Rainbow, Horizon and Wordfast are freeware tools.

Regards,

Rita Damo
Collapse

Rita Damo
Rita Damo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Additionally you can use Trados Workbench Aug 1, 2002

Hi ME,

I just checked up on RWS tutorial and there\'s an option that enables you to use Trados Workbench. You only need to follow the instructions given at the above URL.

Regards,

Rita Damo

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use TRADOS Tag Editor and Workbench Aug 1, 2002

In version 5.0/5.5 of TRADOS you can translate HTM/XML documents directly using Tag Editor. No need to convert the files to any other formats.

Best

Jerzy

Fernando Galv�n (X)
Fernando Galv�n (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also in MS Word Aug 2, 2002

I would personally choose TagEditor for this, but alternatively, you can edit it in MS Word. Open the xml file and go to View - Toolbars and select Web Tools. Now clic on the command editor button and you will see the document with coloured tags.

Hope it helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very Urgent- Editing XML files- what application to use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »