Need (a font with) special symbols
Thread poster: lisevs
lisevs
lisevs
Local time: 08:18
Aug 1, 2002

Hi,

I\'m currently working on a translation of a scientific article from 19th century (about arachnids ... )

As you might guess I have the text only as a hardcopy and I would need a font (or some other solution) with special symbols used in the text - such as the symbols for male, female or a laterally reversed \"c\"

any suggestions are much appreciated

thanks in advance

lise... See more
Hi,

I\'m currently working on a translation of a scientific article from 19th century (about arachnids ... )

As you might guess I have the text only as a hardcopy and I would need a font (or some other solution) with special symbols used in the text - such as the symbols for male, female or a laterally reversed \"c\"

any suggestions are much appreciated

thanks in advance

lise

--

I am very sorry to have posted this twice - server had a hung up

btw: already found the \"c\" - it\'s in the IPA-font - can be downloaded here: www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm

still need those other symbols though...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 16:01 ]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Female & Male Symbols Font Aug 1, 2002

A font for these symbols can be downloaded from

www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/fonts/

The same site has a lot of other weird and wonderful fonts so you may find any other symbols you want there too.

Hope this helps.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:18
Member (2004)
English to French
Insert symbol Aug 1, 2002

Hi,

Usually, MS Word has tons of symbol, but you\'ll have to browse. Go in \"Insert\" and \"Symbol\" and have a look in \"Symbol\", \"Windings\", \"webdings\". Depending of your edition, you might have more. In the hebrew fonts, I found one that looks like a revered c.

Good luck,

Nina

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
fonts Aug 1, 2002

try

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1557/fonts1.htm

usually a lot of connexions, and sometimes unavailable - but a lot of fantasy fonts.

If you want to make or modify your fonts yourself (that\'s what I do sometimes) there is \"fontCreator\" from www.high-logic.com
... See more
try

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1557/fonts1.htm

usually a lot of connexions, and sometimes unavailable - but a lot of fantasy fonts.

If you want to make or modify your fonts yourself (that\'s what I do sometimes) there is \"fontCreator\" from www.high-logic.com

There is a free trial period of 30 days, then the price is only $50 (much cheaper than Fontographer.

Florence
Collapse

Gert Vercauteren
Gert Vercauteren  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
male and female symbols Aug 1, 2002

I don\'t know which word processor you use. I know that in Word 2000 (and maybe in earlier versions too) it is relatively easy to \'conjure up\' the male and female symbols.

Just click \'Insert\' - \'Symbol\'. Choos the \'Times New Roman\' font and in the (very extensive) list of symbols, you will find the male and female symbols.

Is this of any help to you?

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
German to English
+ ...
Look in Bookshelf Symbol 3 Aug 1, 2002

for male/female.

Trudy

lisevs
lisevs
TOPIC STARTER
thanks - wonderful to get so much help :-) Aug 2, 2002

I want to thank you all for your helpfulness.

I chose the font, that Jack suggested as it fits perfectly with Times New Roman.

You saved my day

Lise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need (a font with) special symbols

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »