Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 15:40
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2003

Is it ok to install Trados if I have MetaTexis already installed. Are they fine together?
I have 512 MB RAM and 60 GB HD. Windows XP and Office XP.
Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, they should live together without any problems Oct 25, 2003

You have a template for Trados in your startup template folder of Word. The location can be found via Tools - Options- Paths (or similar, I have a German Word here). On XP this is c:\\Documents and settings\\Username\\Application data\\Microsoft\\Word\Startup
You will see a TRADOS5/6.dot there. In order not to get in conflict with Metatexis you can rename this file to Trados5/6.do_ and install Metatexis. Afterwards you can rename the Metatexis template, located usually in the same folder,
... See more
You have a template for Trados in your startup template folder of Word. The location can be found via Tools - Options- Paths (or similar, I have a German Word here). On XP this is c:\\Documents and settings\\Username\\Application data\\Microsoft\\Word\Startup
You will see a TRADOS5/6.dot there. In order not to get in conflict with Metatexis you can rename this file to Trados5/6.do_ and install Metatexis. Afterwards you can rename the Metatexis template, located usually in the same folder, in the same way and rename Trados5/6.do_ back to *.DOT.

This is not the easiest, but the safest way to do this, because in this case there is no way each of the software can impact the other. Word does not read the renamed templates and so any changes on it are impossible. If you switch the template off in Word via Format - Templates and add ons (what you only need to do, is to deactivate any listed template), I´m not sure, if they won´t collide or interfere each other.

Kind regards
Jerzy

PS
I had Metatexis, Wordfast and Trados on one PC in this way. In the meantime I use only Trados.
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 15:40
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so, you mean.. Oct 25, 2003

Thank, Jerzy!
Am I right to say, then, that in order to install Trados, when I have already MetaTexis installed, I'd better rename That Trados Template, then install Trados and rename it back?
Am i right? Or Trados can be installed without any renaming?
Thanks again,
Vladimir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MetaTexis and Trados - do they live together

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »