Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2003

I have an excel file with over 5,000 German terms and their definitions. I would love to convert this "excel dictionary" into Trados multiterm so I don't have to scroll through all five thousand words to find definitions. Is this possible to do without entering every single term one by one into multiterm, or is there no other option. If it is possible to do so, would you be so kind as to explain how. Many thanks any which way.

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Local time: 16:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Send it to me Oct 8, 2003

It\'s possible but quite difficult to explain. If you want, send me the file to [email protected] and I\'ll do it for you.

Regards

Eñaut

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
T-Window Excel Oct 8, 2003

Hello,

you can use T-Widow Excel for create a multiterm import file.

Hans

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
See the description on Trados support page Oct 8, 2003

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=827

HTH
Jerzy

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Quite easy if you have MultiTerm iX Oct 8, 2003

You just have to use the new "MultiTerm Convert" step by step to import your data.
If you have a previous version of MT, you can download a macro on the website of TW Users (Yahoo Groups) or follow the steps of the tutorial on the Trados homepage, like Jerzy said.
Sylvain.

[Edited at 2003-10-08 15:11]

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
Danish to English
+ ...
Term into excel Oct 8, 2003

Instead of adding all the info to MultiTerm, which will enlarge its size, why not keeping the file separate and then when you need to look up a word, you can use edit/find. It is just as easy as checking in MultiTerm, yet you have more space in MultiTerm. Then the term will automatically enter into MultiTerm, and terms you might never need are left out.

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Oct 8, 2003

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions, ideas, offers of assistance and help. After a while I figured it out from Jerzy's trados support site, but thanks to all of you.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=827

HTH
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel terms into Trados multiterm

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »